Sadly, I can already add another "you know you have A.D.D. when..." to my list from last night's blog. Actually, after I posted that entry, I decided I was off to bed with my book for the bookclub meeting tomorrow night . I had left it half read on the couch the night before as far as I could remember.
It wasn't there. I looked under the cushions. I looked by my bedside, by the computer, in the pile of stuff that accumulates on the fourth (unused) dining chair.
I have never lost a book before! And it was a book I wanted to finish!! Now, I will have to tell everyone this evening why I have not finished the book. So very embarrassing. I looked again this morning, but didn't have much time (had to get R to the school for 7:00 for the chartered coach that is taking the chorus to The Great East event in Massachusetts today)
Darn! I even had sentences and certain passages hi-lighted in the book because I wanted to talk about them.
Weird day, anyway. I was a basket case trying to get R ready in time so early this morning. She was moving at her usual snail's pace, and forgot to put sunscreen on. (they are going to an amusement park in southern New Hampshire after the concert). Yes, I am feeling bad about all my 'mean Mom' screeching at my daughter. *sigh*
I calmed down a little as I drove back to the house after leaving her at the school. The ocean was glimmering and shimmering in the sun. The lobster boats were bobbing off shore. Twin black Scottie dogs were being walked along the sea wall.
And...despite the book mystery, I was very lucky afterall!
Just before I got in to work here, I almost got stopped by a cop!! In the same spot I was pulled over (yards away from the entrance to where I work) a few years ago for speeding. I had the tunes blasting (David Cook singing "Always Be My Baby"), and yes, driving rather fast because I was running late. Then I saw the man in the blue uniform with that megaphone-shaped speed trap thing, waving over.....the van in the lane to the right of me. Phew!!
I felt guilty, anyway, since I, too, was driving just as fast, and maybe the reading was my MPH rather than the unfortunate person's who was pulled over. So, I guess I wouldn't trade my luck with the speed trap for finding the Gabriel Marquez Garcia book. (but, maybe I will find it afterall when I get home...)
5 comments:
I have the same trouble...people (I havent found out who yet) come into my house when I'm not looking, and move stuff! WHY? I dont know, I mean why bother?
I will look and look for something, then finally ask mum if she's seen it, she says its on the table, or wherever, I'll whine "It isssssnnnn't" and she'll walk to the table and pick it up. Well DUR! Obviously its there NOW! they've put it back NOW!
My nan used to say "You look with your eyes shut and pray to God you dont find it and have to pick it up.
*sigh* I've had a hard life .... ;)
Sam,
I think I need your Mum to magically find my book for me then, because I still haven't found it I won't look any more for it, or else I'll go crazy and I have dips to make and the place to finish tidying up...(ran into one of my bookclub friends in the supermarket today and she hadn't finished the book, so it won't be the worst thing if I haven't then)
Mum said "Tell Tee to look on the Microwave"
Hey...its worth a try, I've found very strange hings on/behind/under the microwave before now lol
good Luck xxx
No room on my microwave, Sam because I have all sorts of platters and baskets crammed on to it. But thank you Mum for me, anyway. As it turns out, I should have mentioned the missing book to John because...he said that he thought he heard something fall behind the bedside table one night. And sure enough, that is where the book was.
I didn't have enough time to finish reading it(I found it an hour before the "meeting" began), but as it turns out, not one of us seven gals finished it!! We all liked it (for the most part) but it wasn't a quick read, so none of us had the time.
Enjoyed reading your entry of the missing book (and the comments section!!). We *always* are missing things here. And we don't even have a big house. I mean...where can things go???
Sometimes I really get crazy of myself because of it. At other times I just let go and think...oh it will turn up again someday ;-)
I'm glad the book club night was a good one after all!
Xmarcelle
Post a Comment