Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday
















Another glorious late spring weekend!! Sadly, this one wasn't a three-day one like the previous.
Once we realised how warm it was going to be today , we decided to pack up the 13 year old 'kid' (who didn't grumble or object to coming along with the parents this time) and the dog (who is always elated to go anywhere with us) and some beach chairs and cold water and head down the road to the little beach at South Ferry.
First, we stopped at the gourmet deli/bakery for a Portabello Mushroom & Roasted Red Pepper sandwich (big enough for two, even three people). Jewel waited most attentively for me in the car. (see above photo)


There was a hazy sky over the bay when we got there, and also a few families with mostly small children splashing around at the water's edge. There were a few sailboats on the bay, ducks swimming, cormorants diving for fish and we even got to see the research vessel Endeavor ( http://techserv.gso.uri.edu/ ) coming in from out at sea and docking at the university's platform.

My photos (well, actually, most of them were taken by my daughter) can't do justice to the beauty of that little "private beach". The beach roses are in bloom, so you could smell them going through the paths, the water was glinting and sparkling in the sunshine and inspite of a few noisy boys it really was so peaceful and relaxing there. We didn't stay all that long though, since Rachel had lots of homework to do.
When we got home, I was a little lazy, but did manage to finally put the tomato plants into the two big pots.
We had our supper out on the deck where it was so comfortable..like a summer evening! We have been having breakfast and sometimes lunch out there since the begining of May, but until today it was usually too cool after 5:00 out there to sit comfortably. I got the idea of eating outside from hearing the pleasant noise of forks scraping plates over at the neighbor's. (really a nice sound to me--better than it sounds from the way I just wrote about it)
Another reason I decided to eat outside is that the inside of the house smelled terribly of burnt cake batter (I turned the oven on briefly to make a pizza). The last time I used the oven, some cake batter must have dripped down onto the bottom of the oven and it got even more cooked tonight--a black, hardened on mess. (will deal with that..later...sometime this week)
John is watching National Velvet (The Pie!) in the other room (I can hear Mickey Rooney's voice..) and I think Rachel is watching it, too. Might as well go watch it with them.
**I have to figure out a few things still, with posting blog entries here. Still have not figured out how to make the links work and can't get the hang of inserting multiple photos where I want them.(that's why the three of them are all grouped together at the top)

3 comments:

Princess and the Bear said...

What a gorgeous pic of Jewel! I love that look :)

Shes a real beauty like her mom xxx

cessie said...

The weather was lovely here as well, feels so good.
Your sandwich made me hungry :-)
We too had our dinner outdoors, at the roof. It was so lovely.
It's raining now again though!
I love the look of Jewel, she looks so wise!!
Xmarcelle

Gal Friday said...

Ms. Cottage Crafty Lady--
Thanks for all the compliments. *blush*
I think my dog is one gorgeous creature(although she can look downright goofy sometimes)

Cessie,
Just thinking back on that now eaten sandwich(they make it on this lovely foccacia bread, too), I am hungry for it, as well.
Hee..hee..Jewel is looking wise because she knows good tasting things come out of that place(the bakery).