
I love looking at maps. Globes, atlases, old maps (I have framed quite a few historical maps dating back to the 1600's, where I work), new maps, maps of places penpals live, maps of places I dream of going. Even maps of places I know and have been to before. The different place names for roads, town, lakes and streams and mountains stir my imagnation.
I have been looking over our well worn and creased White Mountain hiking trails map. Last year when we were there, we were told about an "Emerald Pool" swimming hole and Thompson Falls "near by" but the directions made no sense and we never did figure out where this place was. (we DID manage to find some good swimming spots and other waterfalls on our own, however.).
Well, as I was looking over the hiking map tonight, I saw the words "Thompson Falls Trail" and a stream indicated alongside it. I think this must be it!! So, now I know where to go (just north of Pinkham Notch) to get to this magical (?) Emerald Pool!
As I looked at the map some more, I just was so taken with all the names of the mountains and trails of the White Mountains, wondering about the story behind the names.
For instance, there are the Presidential peaks, Mt. Washington (the tallest mountain at 6288 feet--1917 m), Mt. Adams, Mt. Munroe, Mt. Jefferson, etc., named after the U.S. presidents.
But there are other mountains.
Hurricane Mountain
Black Cap Mountain (we climbed that one already--all 2369' of it!!)
Mt. Surprise (!)
Popple Mountain
Mount Nancy
Mt. Chocorua (a beautiful Native American name)
Mt. Pemigewasset (and another )
Wildcat Mountain
Mt. Avalon
Mt. Isolation
Mt. Deception
and my favorite name for a mountain...Mt. Mitten!
Then there are the names of the mountain trails themselves
Fishin' Jimmy Trail
Bee Line Trail (is this a fast way up Mt. Chocura?)
Camel Trail
Middle Sister Trail
Falling Waters Trail (must lead to a waterfall)
Parapet Trail(sounds a little dangerous to me)
Great Gully Trail
and,
..the Imp Trail, leading to....Imp Face! (3165'-- must be a mountain)
Not sure which mountain we will attempt this time. I know it won't be Mt. Washington. Not quite ready for that yet!
Maybe Mt. Willard. Supposedly a relatively easy hike up with views of Crawford Notch.
I'll be leaving my perfume bottles behind, and taking my map with me. Leaving for New Hampshire tomorrow (seeking The Emerald Pool), so will be silent around here for a few days.
8 comments:
Have a Wonderful Time!!! I think we might be going camping after all so I have been looking through a Vancouver Island Backroad Map Book tonight and I came across some lovely names too - Lost Shoe Creek,Dimple Lake, Discovery Mountain,Yip Yip Road,Fizzle Lake and ... Fantasy Island!!!
xx
I hope you have a lot of fun! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back. You'll have to let us know if you do find Emerald Pool! :)
ahh.... maps :) Some of them are like beautiful pieces of art, like the one pictured in your blog, not to mention the dreaming they can inspire about places near or far. I have a box of old maps that came from National Geographic magazines from the 1960s onwards and love looking at them. Hope you are having a wonderful trip!
Have a wonderful time. I love hiking!! It sounds like you will be having a lovely time with lots of views and such. Can't wait to read the stories when you get back!! :)
I love globes too! I have a couple toy-like and one "serious" one my mother gave to me a few years back. There's something that always amazes me about how our planet is...hard to describe sometimes.
Good luck on your trip! and have a wonderful time.
Wow, those are some VERY interesting names indeed!!!
Have a wonderful time!!!!
Popple Mountain, what a beautifully Twee sounding name ;) I love it.
I hope you are having a wonderful time, I cant wait to hear all about it and to see photos of the emerald Pool.
Hugs xx
Have a great holiday, Tina ! Can't wait to read all about your trip when you are back. Filakia
Post a Comment