A few thoughts~ three, actually~ before I get into bed (the rain is beating on the window and that always makes me want to cozy up under the covers with a book.)One: I just love Don Rickles. He was interviewed on NPR last week (he has written a book fairly recently), and then today I saw him with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. Actually, I was in the kitchen, washing the dishes (by hand...oh the hardship of it all! Don't worry, though...the dishwasher is on order and due in a week and a half after Christmas) when I heard his unmistakable voice coming from the TV in the other room. So, I rushed in and plopped down on the couch to see him. I think it is because he was never, let's say...a good-looking guy even when he was very young-- that now that he is 80 years old (or 81? 82?) he actually looks really good for his age. He seems all there and vibrant and as funny as ever (completely cracking Jon Stewart up!). Absolutely and hilariously politically incorrect, sure, but he's a legend and basically he makes fun of everyone, himself included (and still writes all his own material, like he has always done--learned that from the NPR interview).
I remember him from all the times he was on TV when I was younger. It was a treat when he was on then, and still a treat now! I don't even think I got all the jokes and banter then, but he still had a way of making me laugh. Heck, I wish they would bring C.P.O. Sharkey back!! (I can still hear Rickles yelling "Pru-itt!") I also get this feeling that underneath, he is a very kind man. After all, he is still married to his first wife after 43 years, and he still talks lovingly about his supportive mother. I am going to look for his book in the library the next time I go. And, I need to find out if any of the old C.P.O. Sharkey episodes are available on DVD.
Two: I ate way too much left-over bean soup and rice tonight and feel very full. Since J was going out with his buddies I didn't want to bother with any cooking, so it was "eat-up-whatever-was-left- in-the-fridge" night. The bean soup had turned into more of a chili-like stew and I ate it over left-over rice and went back for seconds because no one else wanted it and I thought I might as well finish it up. I should have stopped at one bowlful. Owf!
I remember him from all the times he was on TV when I was younger. It was a treat when he was on then, and still a treat now! I don't even think I got all the jokes and banter then, but he still had a way of making me laugh. Heck, I wish they would bring C.P.O. Sharkey back!! (I can still hear Rickles yelling "Pru-itt!") I also get this feeling that underneath, he is a very kind man. After all, he is still married to his first wife after 43 years, and he still talks lovingly about his supportive mother. I am going to look for his book in the library the next time I go. And, I need to find out if any of the old C.P.O. Sharkey episodes are available on DVD.
Two: I ate way too much left-over bean soup and rice tonight and feel very full. Since J was going out with his buddies I didn't want to bother with any cooking, so it was "eat-up-whatever-was-left- in-the-fridge" night. The bean soup had turned into more of a chili-like stew and I ate it over left-over rice and went back for seconds because no one else wanted it and I thought I might as well finish it up. I should have stopped at one bowlful. Owf!
Three: Christmas is 13 days away and we still haven't gotten our tree (all the presents that we have gotten so far and wrapped, are piling up on an extra chair where the tree will eventually go..whenever that is!) or even dressed up the window boxes. Of course, with this miserable cold rain (all snow washed away now and deadly brown out--not a Winter Wonderland by any means), we can't be out there doing up the boxes with greens, anyway. Our friend who always lets us have some holly from his bushes hasn't come by yet (hate to ask again...hope he remembers us, though), and if it rains again tomorrow it'll be another day that our house will look like the House Of No Christmas Cheer. I hope to change that by this Sunday, though.
3 comments:
Want some of our snow???
I love Rickles, too!
I wanted a natural fir tree for this Christmas but I was so discouraged from getting one when I was told that it had to be a fresh cut to last for about 15 days! In other words get one on Christmas Eve?But hubby and I are going away on Christmas Eve! Anyway, I finally got a new artificial tree...it's huge and I knew I didn't have the right space for it in my living room. But I got it. I haven't had time to decorate it yet but I'm sure it'll look great on Sunday! I had to move some furniture so that we can ...have access to the living room.
I hate bean soup, however healthy it is supposed to be.
The beansoup and rice sounds very yummie to me!
We don't have a tree, too much work lol. We do have the decorations though.
We won't spend much of the actual Christmas days at home anyway since both our families live so far away.
Happy decorating today then :-)
Post a Comment