
I'm sitting here, with my salty beach hair and salty, coco-nutty skin after a day at....the beach, of course. I'm a little tired out after a l-o-n-g walk with the dog late this afternoon. I didn't expect it to be so hot then, but I nearly wilted by the end of it. Well, I thought I should attempt to do a little blog after not having been here in a while. I spent most of this week down visiting my brother's family. It was a very relaxing(my SIL is one for making sure we all have nice dinners together and we had everything we needed), it was so fun getting to be with my little nephew and niece again, and we also had private accommodations in their large home. We did the required mini golf and Dairy Queen thing. We don't have a DQ around here, so they know we all want to go there whenever we come down, and ever since I have taken vacations with Mr. F we have always insisted on doing 18 holes of mini golf.
My brother(who is also kind and thoughtful--a great host) drove us all into Washington, D.C. for a day trip and we did the tourist thing to the hilt--including one of those tour bus/trolley rides which took us all over. The museums and sites were packed with other visitors from all over the world(so we didn't feel as if we stood out as tourists, really)and I heard all sorts of other languages besides English.
Here we are at the front of the Lincoln Memorial (with my niece and nephew) with the view of the Mall and Washington Monument behind.
I just HAD to take a picture of the endless variety of Obama-themed(half the display was for Michelle Obama, too!) souvenirs at this kiosk in the train station.In fact, I found D.C. to be a beautiful city overall, although the Mall was all beaten up with new paved walks in progress--I got the feeling that the overwhelming amount of human feet all over it on Inauguration Day may have contributed to it's current sorry state. Nearly everyone whom we asked advice and directions from were so friendly and helpful, too.
The museums (the Smithsonian ones-all free to anyone!) were amazing!
We didn't get to visit them all, of course(it would take weeks, I think, to visit all of them). My favorite one was the unexpected oasis of the U.S. Botanic Garden--a cool green, lush and revitalizing place to tour at the end of our day(tucked in a less visited spot right next to the Capitol building, we discovered). So, now I know that when I go back to D.C. I'll want to visit some of the art museums I missed, the Postal Museum and the Botanic Garden again.

14 comments:
sounds like a perfect visit! we don't have dq's in our town either and i do miss them. my fave is a peanut buster parfait! and--we want to go to dc so badly, we hope to soon (like w/in the next year). none of us have ever been. i didn't realize the smithsonian museums were free! that's awesome. the botanical gardens sound great too.
I loved DC when I visited almost 15 years ago.
I'm so glad you had a great trip, Tina. You all look very relaxed and no worries about being touristy.
And DQ rocks.
Sounds like you had a nice time :)
I love being a tourist. You can get away with many things like driving the wrong way down a one-way street and no-one honks at you!
Sounds as if you had a great family vacation in your national capital!
Sounds like you had a really awesome time! And R is getting so big! :)
sounds and looks like you had a great time. you can certainly see the family resemblance. I have never been there but I would love to go see the Smithsonian for sure.
Seems like you had a wonderful week; the pictures speak for it selves.;) I too had a wonderful beach experience this weekend.;))
Glad to have you back.;))
xo
Sounds like a lovely time!! I have always wanted to go to Washington, just once.
I've never been to DC. Your vacation sounds wonderful. I'm SO happy you are good with your camera.
I'm happy to hear you've had such a wonderful visit!!!:) And your pictures were beautiful and interesting as always!!!:)
What a lovely post. I'm so happy you had this great time with your brother's family. I can't believe how tall your daughter is already! You must water her too much ;-)
Sounds like a perfect trip and stay! I love your photos, you captured some very interesting spots there!
I like being a tourist in my own country, it's so easy with the language and everything haha. Although in Amsterdam they either start talking in English or German (and not in Dutch) when I'm wandering there. So I guess they are a little too used to tourists there ;-).
My friend lives in Washington DC and she keeps inviting me to visit her. "If I need to work, there will be plenty of places for you to visit" she says, and now you have confirmed it :-) I should go before my American Visa expires. Thanks for sharing!
It's almost as if I were there with you! I can feel your excitement pulsing through your great photos and lively description.
Post a Comment