
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer
evenings,
now for October eves!
-- Humbert Wolfe
***
**
******
Οκτώβριος
Octobre
Oktober
octubre
Outubro
I like the month of October. The smell of it. The brisk air,
soothing warm sunshine,
and energized feeling most days will leave you with.
The mellow richness of it.
Maybe with just a twinge of sadness in it. But I like melancholy.
The fact that I got married in this month.
The fact that I was born in this month(I love presents and...cake!).
Halloween to top it all off with a freaky, creepy candy-coated flourish.
This first day of October started out pretty nippy, as in "I think I actually should have worn a pair of gloves" nippy. That is what I was thinking as I walked my dog this morning. Totally perfect for the start of this month, I thought.
And when I finally got home this afternoon, I broke down and turned the heat on in the house. It was cold enough. At least I stayed within the "rules" of waiting until at least the first of October to do that(my other rule is no heat on in the house after May 1st).
I find I listen to more music in the months starting in October, when the house is closed in-closed up(windows, doors shut) and there is a whole 'nother environment indoors--a little cozy fortress.
Time to dig out some REM, Nick Drake, Van Morrison, Billie Holiday, and some Eva Cassidy, I think.....
9 comments:
What a gorgeous picture at the top! I cannot share your enthusiasm for October. We lost our child this month and I can't wait for it to be over. Only good thing is Halloween which I pretend is in November!
I choose to celebrate February, the month that our miracle daughter was born in
Melancholy. Definitely.
I don't have the heat on yet. But apparently, MICE are thinking it's warm enough to move in. Oy.
My wedding was in Oct. My next one (one of these years) will be in a warmer month. Maybe August. I dunno.
Thanks for the music. :-)
Oh Clare,
What a hard thing to go through and how kind and brave of you to at least be able to find something good(the photo)to comment on in my Oct. blog entry.
It makes me think how someone's happy moment or memory of a time or place can be vastly different for another person.
We lost a child(she lived nearly 3 months)in the springtime, and for years afterward, I thought it a cruel joke that it was sunny and everyone else was lighthearted at that time of year.
Erin,
I am amazed that you, further north from here, haven't yet had the heat on! Maybe I am just a wimp...
Mice...groundhogs...the critters seem to like living with/around you. :-)
Tina, I am so sorry for your loss. Our daughter was stillborn after my waters broke early. I was mad for so many years as I was sent home saying it wasnt amniotic fluid, (it was)and I think infection set in. It was before 24 weeks so I think that they didnt fight hard enough. Its been 7 years now and Im gradually feeling less angry. R. being born (she was 30 weeks) and being a wonderful, healthy girl makes my life worth living.
I love October as well, it has something special to it, something melancholic with the falling leaves. It's an emotional month to lots of people though because of that.
Being here it feels a little different. Today was a day full of sunshine and warmth so I guess October feels a little different this year. Full of promise I guess.
Enjoy your October month Tina!
My mother loves this song...
I love your tribute to October, the month of rich colours and earthy, natural scents.
Many celebration are in store for you in the next four weeks.;)
I too turned on my heat yesterday, here it is been freezing in the night.;)
xoxo
Back in school, and belonging to a choir, we "tried" to sing the Spanish version of this song on my last year. It was simply awful, but I think it was our teacher. Last minute replacement, and he wasn't, I think, the best choice.
October is filled with activities down here, and there's a clear change in weather, though not as extreme as to have orange leaves :-( But it is indeed a great month...kind of the start of a phase I think.
have a great October Tina!
great description of october---also a fave w/ me. we also got married in october, my youngest was born in october (on my favorite gma's bday) and i love halloween : ) when is your bday????
Post a Comment