Friday, April 30, 2010

Rambling rambling

Where did the last seven days go?
I am being a bad blogger lately. Again. I think there must be some kind of blogging "etiquette" rule, such as if you are going to have a blog you should publish something on a regular basis. And, I have been breaking that rule, obviously. I have also been rude because I haven't been getting around to replying to all the interesting comments on previous entries here.It makes me wonder if I should continue on with this. Maybe this overwhelmed feeling I have been having(about everything--not just making time for Blogger) will pass. I'll try to blog a bit in the next few days and visit my favorite places, but I have to admit that most likely this coming month of May will find me missing in action much of the time. I'll be working more hours with more to do at my job. Two co-workers are taking vacations in May(one for over two weeks).
But enough of this.
How about some random thoughts?

* The pic of the lilacs above is not of my own bush. Because, we no longer have a lilac bush--our yard is now lilac-less. It got some kind of mold disease last year, and we had to cut it down last summer. Every time I walk by a blooming lilac bush in the neighborhood, I feel sad that we don't have one anymore. They always were almost at their peak on or around my daughter's birthday(May 1). You could simply step out the back door some mornings and the fragrance would waft over you. I would cut some branches for the house, for work and some for R to take to her teacher(this was back in her elementary school days...the last few years, of course, I couldn't even think of trying to make her do that!)

* Badaboom badabing! This is what popped into my head as I was slowly waking up and still lying in my bed a little bit earlier this morning. What a strange phrase, and why I was thinking about this in bed first thing, is probably even stranger.

* For a bird so elegant and graceful on the water, a flying swan is about one the most inelegant clumsy things you could ever witness. Big and white and gangly(which my Spellcheck is trying to tell me is not a word), and wheeling and flapping overhead, I noticed one as I drove near the beach and past a pond(where a pair live year round) yesterday as I drove home. It looked so awkward up in the sky--like it really had no business trying to fly.

* Why is it that my musical tastes are shared by 20-somethings and/or men? From time to time, I have clicked on one of my interests and favorites listed in my profile--just to see what other bloggers have the same favorites listed on their profiles. And, for the most part, my musical tastes/favorites seem to match up with either males or much younger-than-me bloggers. For the most part, my tastes aren't shared by many late 40's women. Hmmm....

* The huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is sickening to me. I had to turn off the radio yesterday, when they were going on and on about all the damage that will be done as this oil slick spreads toward the coast. How many times is this going to happen? Wasn't there another oil spill in the Great Barrier Reef(a tanker somehow went off course and wound up crashing in there) a few weeks ago? And now this, which will probably be as huge as the Exxon Valdez spill off of Alaska. From the AP news:

The oil slick could become the nation's worst environmental disaster in decades, threatening to eclipse even the Exxon Valdez in scope. It imperils hundreds of species of fish, birds and other wildlife along the Gulf Coast, one of the world's richest seafood grounds, teeming with shrimp, oysters and other marine life.

Like I said, it just makes me want to to cry.

* American Idol has become so uninteresting and boring this year. Even R doesn't really show much enthusiasm for catching up with the taped shows(she is still too busy with homework and after-school stuff on those nights to stay up and watch it at night, so we have been DVR'ing). None of the singers have much sparkle or any kind of uniqueness. Siobhan seemed to have had potential at the beginning but she kind of went off course, and now I hear she is gone. I think this show has run it's course--maybe no one can make all those old songs sound new or fresh, anyway. Or, it could also be that because we are catching up with the show in spurts because of our schedule that we just naturally aren't getting that connection to contestants as in other years when we were more often able to sit down and watch the entire show in one sitting. I don't know which reason, but in a way, not feeling so compelled to watch this one show frees up more of my time, that's for sure....







Now, this lady can sing and seemed to have an interesting personality and story to tell!
I had never even heard of Melanie Fiona (she's a Canadian R & B singer who has had some success and even a Grammy award nomination, and is on tour with Alicia Keyes) until last week, when she was on the Tell Me More show on NPR. I was at work when she was being interviewed and then sang two of her songs "unplugged"(just her voice and her guitar). Hearing her sing stopped me in my tracks. You can listen to the two songs she sang,"Ay Yo" and "Monday Morning", over at the Tell Me More site.
**
So, there are some thoughts.
I think it's going to be a 'badaboom badabing' (or is that 'badabing badaboom' ?) kind of day--I can feel it.

13 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

whatever you do, don't quit blogging altogether. i think we all go through spurts where we don't write or read other blogs as much as we used to. life happens. life comes first. i also think now that spring is here and summer's just around the corner, people aren't at their computers as much.
i never could get into ai.
your co-worker gets more than 2 weeks vacation at one time? i've never heard of such a thing! LOL

Barb said...

I don't think you have to Blog on schedule - but, I'd miss you if you stopped entirely...I like your stream 0f consciousness post today. Take time to smell the Lilacs and enjoy spring and your Family - that's what counts.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I get the pressure to not blog. As your first commenter said, Life is first.

Badaboom badabing cracked me up. But I love that phrase because it always makes me laugh.

I too love a lilac bush but I am so immature when you said, above is not my bush. Good grief I just had the thoughts of a 16 yr old boy.

Oil slick - sick, sick, sickening.

I agree with Idol although I do like 2 of them. However I think the format is stale.

And lastly I like the music of a 40 + yr old guy so at least your choices are current. :-)

Patricia said...

I haven't been bloging for a whole year up to about one month or so ago, maybe because I had gotten up with Facebook...Now I write, buut not really often. It's a working process...I meant to take a photo of some lilacs in a vase on my desk too...they're wonderful flowers, their perfume is so adorable...That's why spring is my favourite season of them all!:)

Unknown said...

I think this is a great post. I don't post on any time schedule. I find it hard to write very much about myself, I think I have a boring life.

if you love swans and need a good laugh, check out my last post. The Swan of Pickerel Lake. you will get a chuckle out of it for sure.

have a blessed weekend!!

Claus said...

I think it's badabing, badaboom (I have heard this down here, which now I'm finding odd and curious).

Sorry about your lilac!! Never seen one around here, but from your description, sounds like a beautiful piece of nature to have in one's garden. I have had problems - currently even - with plagues and insects/bugs in my plants...could it be because I care too much and they find it a "healthy snack"? Those un-cared for gardens don't seem to have a problem? and it bothers me.

Write when you can...we tend to have quiet phases (some times longer than other times), and direct our interest in something else. When some inspiration arrives, you'll be writing plenty, I'm sure.
have a great weekend!

Jack said...

Your blog, your time frame. Blog whenever you feel like it :)

I'm quite jealous of the blooming lilacs. We have Magnolia in bloom everywhere but it's a little too early for the lilacs.

Oil slick is making me sad and very angry too... *tsk tsk* when will we ever learn?!

Wishing you a 'badaboom badabing' weekend :)

cheatymoon said...

The oil slick is devastating. One of my students was really fixated on it today. So sad.

Don't give up on blogging...we all take breaks. There aren't any rules. Do what you like.

Idol is so-so. I agree that it's not that interesting... but there are a couple that are worth watching.

Hang in there with May! xoxo

Zuzana said...

Your random thoughts posts are always my favorite ones.;))
To bad about your lilac, that is such a beautiful and scented shrub, very significant of May here.
Agree on the swans and their clumsiness in flight.;)
I know the feeling at times about blogging; but perhaps taking a break might help. Do not stop, you will miss it.;) And I will miss you! For me it would be plenty if you just publish these kind of posts once a week, they are so great.;)
Have a lovely weekend dearest Tina,
xoxo

Kate said...

I don't think there should be pressure to blog on a particular schedule, or any other kind of pressure about it, otherwise it becomes less enjoyable and then what's the point? I think most of us go through stages when we need a break, don't have as much to write about, or just have life taking up more time. Your blog is always so creative and inspiring, even when you just "ramble" about random things.... you'd definitely be missed if you did decide to stop. (no pressure though!)

I think you share musical tastes with this 40-something year old, by the way... and thanks for the introduction to Melanie Fiona, I love her voice!

badaboom badabing!

Carole Poirot said...

Random thoughts indeed my dear ;-) but I like it and it makes for such interesting reading, much better that a lot of very carefully crafted posts - vavavoom is what I'd say ;-) Have a lovely Sunday, Love from London x

Gal Friday said...

Everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to leave such uplifting comments here for me. I feel encouraged that I can blog when I can get a chance(and feel most inspired to write). I would miss blogging, to be honest, if I were to quit entirel. This blog is a good outlet for me--emotionally and creatively and I treasure the connections I have made with all you groovy bloggers and readers out there! ;-)

Arty said...

In my opinion, rules are meant to be broken. If a person can't blog for the reason he/she has no time or has no idea of what to write, then by no means should that person feel obligated or pressured to do so.

Most of us feel the same. I know I do as I have neglected Blogger too. If you're rude, so am I lol. But I think not :)