Monday, September 13, 2010

Views from the Hood

Even though I didn't go far yesterday because of my banged up car, I was still able to take my dog for her daily walk through the neighborhood. All six of our feet were in fine working condition.
I had my camera in my pocket this time, so recorded a few sights along the route we took.
Closest to our house, I saw these vine-covered trees. There is a small empty lot next door(which we tell ourselves has to be much too small to ever build a house on since we like this buffer zone that creates a real sense of privacy in an otherwise "crowded-with-houses" neighborhood) that is all overgrown and looks like a miniature jungle.
Last year, A tree service did come and cut down some of the brush and choking vines (after the vines caused some smaller trees to actually topple over and crash down onto our wooden fence and crack a portion of it open), and the remains of these once living thick vines can still be seen.



My lucky number posted twice on a telephone pole at the end of our street.


Ever since I got Jewel(about seven years ago) and have been walking the same old streets with her, I have watched the progression of a certain neighbor's garden over the years. It started out small, but she now has a lush, slightly over-grown cottage garden full of blooms seven months out of the year. I really liked these tall sunflower-type blooms she had growing outside of her fence.


There was even a 10K Ironman race in our nieghborhood, I discovered as I walked with Jewel to the southern end. And this flag waving, hula hooping lady was the turn-around point for the runners. There was no way they could miss her!


My camera can't convey another sweet neighborhood happening, though. On Saturday afternoon, while I was cleaning up the kitchen after putting a spice cake into the oven, I heard singing from...somewhere.
Mr. F said, "Do you hear that man singing?"
And I did and thought it must be coming from R's bedroom down the hallway(she often has her iPod plugged into a speaker in there, blasting her favorite tunes).
And then Mr. F told me this wasn't the first time he had heard "that singing kid with the earphones in his ears", singing rather loudly(and with a pretty decent voice, too), while walking down the street. I had never noticed it before, though.
And, when I looked out the front door, there was a youngish man(19? 20 at the most?), striding along and singing a song. We could hear him long after he passed our house and was out of sight.
Mr. F said "more people should sing out loud like that."
And I completely agreed with him.







11 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Hi Fri,wouldn't like to walk through those trees after dark,spooky.
I like Jewel,she has beautiful eyes,does she poke her nose into everthing,she looks as if she does.

creative kerfuffle said...

love the views of your neighborhood. we've recently started treking through our hood on a more regular basis and i love looking at people's yards. last night we were out walking and a guy was hitting golf balls in the empty lot between his house and his neighbor's.
i think SOME people should sing out loud more, but, the girl tries singing out loud when she's wearing her mp3 player and it is dreadful. and i say that with a mother's love ; )

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Love the pics as always but love that kid singing even more! How nice to be so free.

Now you would never say that everyone should sing like that if I did it. Trust me.

Singing is not one of my talents.
Hell I'm an old broad now and have not found 1 talent yet....but I keep looking. :-)

Claus said...

Ahhh...the daily situations that often go by un-noticed. They often happen on the weekends I've noticed. We heard the neighbors fighting with each others (sadly), kids playing on the street (Lucas wanted in!! :-) ), pine cones on the ground (already!!), and the man around the corner walking his dogs (about 8 miniature ones) causing a lot of noise on the block as they passed by every house with dog residents :-)...it was a nice noise though :-)
have a great week ahead!!

Arty said...

I think Tina is back! :) Good to see your blogs. The photos are almost eerie especially those with the hanging vines. You are fortunate though to be able to stroll through nature such as that.

Barb said...

I enjoyed strolling the neighborhood with you. I sure wish my garden could bloom 7 months of the year! That Hula Lady was great, and I only wish I could have heard the guy sing.

Zuzana said...

Love all the images! Particularly the first one, the tree covered with ivy, it has such a lushness about it..
Did I mention that I like the new look of your blog.;)
xoxo

Pennello Lane said...

I love this post, Tina.
Really.... 5 is your number too?? ;-)

cheatymoon said...

I love the look of your neighborhood.

Content in a Cottage said...

I love it that you have a wandering minstrel in your neighborhood. Thanks for the great tour of the 'hood. I enjoyed walking with you and Jewel. Have a happy Sunday.
Rosemary

Gal Friday said...

~Grey Ghost,
The little patch of vine-covered trees is really too small to be truly spooky, really. And you are so right about Jewel forever wanting to poke her nose into everything. She is ever curious and alert.

~c.k.,
Me, too! I like seeing how people in my neighborhood garden and decorate their porches(all so much nicer than my yard and house exterior)

~Peg,
Yah, I wish I could be so open and free about singing out loud. I am not much of a singer, either.

~Claudia,
Thank you for your little neighborhood "snapshot" of sights and sounds all the way from Gautemala City. Instead of pinecones falling these days, we have tons of fallen acorns from the oak trees underfoot.


~Hey, Arty,
Yes, I am back...somewhat. The change in the weather and season has made me feel like blogging again.

~Barb,
Beleive me, I wish there were some way I could have captured our strolling neighborhood troubador to share with everyone who read this entry!

~Zuzana,
Thanks so much for the comment about my blog's new look. I am very happy with it myself.

~Kate,
Really? Is 5 your favortite number, like it is mine? I am surprised that I never knew that about you until now...


~Erin,
Thanks. This neighborhood is a typical 70's type place, but when the houses were built, the trees were left standing and it has a woodsy feel to it.

~Rosemary,
I haven't noticed the singing guy since that Saturday, though. I hope he'll show up again this fall, at least.