These pics are from last Sunday, when Mr. F and I spent the afternoon strolling around Newport and had a few martinis at The Red Parrot. All in all, a slightly indulgent, barely warm(cool breeze off the harbor) early spring day. I took these photos, mostly on Spring Street(walking on the sunny side of the street, of course) as we walked back from the Red Parrot.
Masses of purple crocuses blooming in a little square in front of the White Horse Tavern, which at one time was once run by a pirate!--a little history:Frances Brinley constructed the original building on the site in 1652. In 1673, the lot was sold to William Mayes, and the building was enlarged to become a tavern. The building was also used for large meetings, including use as a Rhode Island General Assembly meeting place, a court house, and a city hall. William Mayes, Sr., obtained a tavern license in 1687 and William Mayes, Jr., a well-known pirate, operated the tavern through the early eighteenth century. The operation was named "The White Horse Tavern" in 1730 by owner Jonathan Nichols.
During the American Revolution, Tories and British troops were quartered there around the time of the British occupation and the Battle of Rhode Island.
After years of neglect as a boarding house, Newport's Van Bueren family donated money to the private Preservation Society of Newport to restore the building in 1952. After the restoration, the building was sold and once again operated as a private tavern and restaurant. As of 2011, it still remains a popular drinking and dining location.
I had a French Martini, made with Chambord, vanilla vodka(yeah, I had no idea there was such a thing, either), and pineapple juice, and I liked it so much I have since made it at home.
**
*1 1/2 oz vodka
(I used vanilla vodka since that was how they made it at the Red Parrot)
*1/2 oz Chambord Liqueur
*2 oz Pineapple Juice
**
Shake this really well in cocktail shaker with plenty of ice--the pineapple juice gets nice and frothy, making this drink almost creamy.
| You Are a Blue Martini |
![]() |



12 comments:
Fabulous post. Loved your architectural photos. You have such a good eye. xo, Rosemary
I LOVE these photos!! I can almost here horse drawn carriages going up and down the streets!! Also loved this pirate house and history!! :-)
Gorgeous photos, gorgeous architecture! Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see someone is enjoying early spring while the snow continues to fall outside my window...
Love these architectural photos. The old homes, shops, and taverns are wonderful. I cannot even imagine ordering a martini - is there one for wine?
~Rosemary,
Thank you! Now if only my camera and my technical ability were a little better, my photos would be much better.
~Amanda,
Interesting your thinking of horses on the streets from viewing these photos! I see the houses as old, but know people who live and work in them and have seen computers in the windows of these places(close to the street, so it is easy to peek in), so don't always think of the past necessarily(except for the pirates!).
~Kathy!!
Where have you been? I was very surprised to see your comment here(although I admit I might have at least "checked in" with you these last few months). :-)
As few signs of spring that there are here right now, you have reminded me of how further north you are and how much longer you have to wait until spring. Our last snowfall was April 2nd, and I really expect that was the last of it(put my snow snhovel away yesterday).
~ Barb,
How about this? Pour a little Chambord into Champagne(or Prosecco)!! :-)
okay this was a fabulous post!
1. I love these old home/buildings, it's exactly how I want new england to look.
2. I can't believe I am exactly like the martini said I was....wow creepy! (purple martini)
3. love this drink. oh my I can't wait to try it. It sounds yummy and not too sweet. I love pineapple and isn't chambord raspberry flavor? Hmmmm......
And yes your team crushed us. Now go back to being winless will ya?
:-)
I truly love the architecture! It looks, to my eyes, fresh and simple. The colors are lovely! Why is it that I like red in architecture? I wish I could have at least a red door at home!!
I am blue martini as well!, but I'm not sure if I agree with the description...I am not attracted to powerful people who have a good deal of influence, and wouldn't want any of that! Simplicity is my thing ;o)
have a lovely day!
~Peg,
Would we want to drink a purple or blue martini, though??? ;-) The French martini comes out a soft pink-ish color(because, yes, Chambord is a berries liquer).
I wasn't going to bring up last night's game, ya know... ;-)
~Claudia,
I am used to the architecture here so don't notice certain things about it, but a co-worker who was from the Midwest once tried explain to me that the houses here in New England(especially the older ones) all have a distinctive "stark", spare look to them, so maybe that is what you are noticing?
I love the look of a red door(or even a purple one!)--I like touches of color on a home. Of course, you come from a land not afraid of using color, so your eye must be naturally attuned to it.
Tina ~ Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era...Perhaps that's why I thought of horse-drawn carriages!!
You should try bacon vodka in a bloody mary...SO good!
~Janet,
BACON flavored vodka?! Really? I love a good Bloody Mary, so...I think I'll try to remember your bacon-flavored idea.
At first I thought those pics were of Salem MA. Similar architecture I guess. Love old homes- guess that's why I live in one but not nearly as elegant as these. Just old (1850's) and needing a lot of work here and there. Thanks for coming by! Nice to meet you!
Post a Comment