
This rainy Father's Day day turned out to be a very slow-moving, relaxing one. The kind of day John likes--perfect for doing nothing much, and which kept us inside being lazy for the most part.
I attempted a special recipe for John's breakfast this morning. Eggs Benedict, which is a favorite of his and he'll usually order if it is on the menu at a restaurant. I found a more "gourmet" recipe in a Bon Appetite magazine (an older issue I took from the 'dump library'), which called for bacon, chopped tomatoes, sauteed onions and Kalamata olives, and Gruyere cheese in the scrambled eggs. I was a little leery of the Hollandaise Sauce (which you pour over the eggs on the toasted English Muffins) and was more than half expecting it was going to turn out a sad mess.
But, it worked!! John even told me it was the BEST Eggs Benedict he's eaten. It was a little bit of extra work and I had to pay attention because timing was everything (or else the sauce seperates..), but I think I'll try this again. Maybe next Father's Day. It's NOT the healthiest of meals. A WHOLE stick of butter and two egg yolks in the sauce! As it turns out, John ate two of these and then took a nap afterwards.
Of course, I didn't eat it, since I am not a fan of eggs or cheese. But, I was lazy, too--staying in my jammies until noon and just lying around, reading the Kingsolver book.
This is two weeks now that the house hasn't been cleaned (aside from the kitchen and the bathroom). I keep looking at the floors which look coated with fluff (the cat fur!) and the dust and the dead flowers in the vase in the living area. I read once that dead or dried up flowers in the home is a big Feng Shui no-no!. Am I casting doom and gloom upon our home by my slovenly ways? I just have not felt motivated to do anything about it. Yet. John's last day at school is tomorrow. Maybe he'll be Mr. Domestic this week while I am at work.
Rachel gave John a bottle (my suggestion) of Sauvignon Yoouukk wine. We could have chosen 'Vintage Papi' (David Ortiz's red wine) or 'Captain's Cabernet' (catcher Jason Varitek's label), but a nice bottle of crisp white wine for this time of year seemed appealing (and I personally really like the 'Muppet Man"--yes, I think he is a Muppet)
We opened it this evening--a very, very decent California wine, and the proceeds (actually 1.25 for every bottle sold) from the purchase of the wine goes to Youkilis's charity of choice.
Now, I wasn't a complete blob all day. By 2:00 the rain had finally stopped and I took Jewel up to the park up the road so she could run around on the ball fields. As we were driving in to the park, she spotted a rabbit nibbling on the grass and she was wired after seeing that!! I let her out of the car further in, and she was like a beast RELEASED!! She was in full hunter mode, doing her crouching and sneaking up on the robins on the soccer field and posing in that pointer stance she does. Then, she saw another rabbit down on the lower field and she nearly got it--it ran under a small hole in the wire fence just in the nick of time. After that, I leashed her. She was making me nervous.
Well, this was one all-over-the-place, rather pointless blog today. My brain feels a little fuzzy after so much inactivity today, I suppose. And the Sauvignon Youk might have something to do with it, too.
****************************************************************************************************
Kevin Youkilis Presents... "SauvignYoouuk Blanc"
2006 Sauvignon Blanc, Healdsburg, CaliforniaBenefiting Kevin Youkilis Hits For Kids
Loaded with rich concentrated flavors of melon, minerals and lemon-lime nuances that trickle crisp and clean on the palate ending with a snappy well rounded finish. Proceeds from SauvignYoouuk Blanc support Kevin Youkilis Hits For Kids. Youk's organization is dedicated to rallying local and corporate support and awareness for charities and organizations focused on the health and well-being of children. Funds will benefit kids in New England and in Kevin's hometown of Cincinnati. YOOOUUUK!
For more information, please visit www.youkskids.org
Charity Wines ~ 2 Juniper Street ~ Winchendon, MA 01475 ~ 978.297.5477 ~ info@charitywines.com
2006 Sauvignon Blanc, Healdsburg, CaliforniaBenefiting Kevin Youkilis Hits For Kids
Loaded with rich concentrated flavors of melon, minerals and lemon-lime nuances that trickle crisp and clean on the palate ending with a snappy well rounded finish. Proceeds from SauvignYoouuk Blanc support Kevin Youkilis Hits For Kids. Youk's organization is dedicated to rallying local and corporate support and awareness for charities and organizations focused on the health and well-being of children. Funds will benefit kids in New England and in Kevin's hometown of Cincinnati. YOOOUUUK!
For more information, please visit www.youkskids.org
Charity Wines ~ 2 Juniper Street ~ Winchendon, MA 01475 ~ 978.297.5477 ~ info@charitywines.com
7 comments:
That sounds like the perfect day to me, I'm glad j enjoyed his wine, its a great idea for fans.
I am suffering from the lethargies too, i've got the fete on Saturday, and so far no jam, no peppermint cremes, no dog biscuits...its 9.30am Tuesday and I've been sat here an hour already, procrastinating, making lists....*sigh*
Here's some good news for you, Sam--it's still only Monday!! You have plenty of time to have things ready for the fete.
I think you may be like me--it takes a while to get going, but we work best under pressure. Lots of times I will do things at the last minute, but I seem to pull it all off.
What's your special recipe for the dog biscits, or is it top secret??
Sounds like a pretty nice weekend!! I think I would LOVE the eggs benedict... I really love eggs, myself... and yet I've never had eggs benedict!! But a whole stick of butter... wow!! No wonder it tastes good... LOL.
I read the same thing about dead flowers being bad feng shui once... somehow I never forget that when there are dead flowers around, and I get rid of them!! :)
Please, I am the laziest when it comes to cleaning... really bad. There just aren't enough hours in a day... ANY day!! :)
Oh lordy!
That just shows how stressed I am lol Yes it is only Monday *phew*
I made plum jam, chicken dog biscuits and did loads of the paperwork so I'm getting there.
i'll e mail you the dog biscuit recipe. Jack LOVES them, fi isnt so sure...but hey ho :)
Sherry,
The whole stick of butter was to make a sauce that would serve 4, so it isn't as bad as it sounds...but, still, it is a bit much!
Sam,
Now THERE was a productive Monday!! You are now ahead of yourself. :-)
I would love the doggie biscuit recipe(aroud last Christmas, Rachel and I baked up some for our own dog and friend's dogs...with cornmeal, peanut butter, a little honey and egg in it. They weren't bad--yes, I even tried one)
Eggs Benny - oooh yeah!!! My favourite is smoked salmon and dill cream cheese smothered in Hollandaise. Luckily I can still have it, apart from the actual muffin, on my diet :-)
Hmm, I love eggs too, but never have tasted the eggs b. Should try it some day I guess.
Oh, I know those days, hazy lazy...and so enjoyable. My favourites!
And cleaning...what did KJ tell me about that....something about a life spent cleaning is a life misspent or something like that. Anyway, life is way too interesting to clean a lot (like the generations before us lol).
Post a Comment