Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday afternoon


I spent 2 1/2 hours with Jewel at the vet's this afternoon. It seems after all the tests came back there is a strong indication that she could have canine Addison's Disease.
I had never heard of this disease in dogs! But, when I went online after we got home, the symptoms are EXACTLY the same symptoms(see below) she has had for the last three weeks or so. I guess I had better admit the vet knows what she is talking about and give the go ahead for her to run the very expensive tests for it. Might as well find out for sure now, rather than let her deteriorate further.
"The symptoms of Addison’s disease can be vague. More importantly, they are similar to the symptoms of many different problems. Initially, the dog may be listless, or seem depressed. Many dogs are described as just seeming off, or losing the normal sparkle in their eye. Lack of appetite is a good indicator. Other symptoms include gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea. Pain in the hindquarters, or generalized muscle weakness such as a dog that can’t jump onto the bed or couch as he has done in the past is not uncommon. Shivering or muscle tremors may also be present." (from this site)
She will have to stay at the vet's all day tomorrow for further testing, monitoring and I just know they will be sticking things in her veins to hydrate her, taking blood and the like. Poor baby.
At any rate, this dog is really ill. There is something going on with her kidneys--her adrenal glands specifically. I just never thought this would happen to her. It really took the whole car ride home for this to sink in. I really only thought that she ate something nasty, or the antibiotics for the tick bite were just something temporary giving her stomach troubles she would soon be over.
One good thing about this Addison's is that if treated, the dog can go on to lead a normal life, so it isn't as dire as a cancer, I suppose. Of course, I am sure the prescribed drugs will be costly, but after having had to pay hundreds of dollars already for the visits and tests since two weeks ago, I am accepting that is the way it is going to be.
Well, we'll see what the vet says after tomorrow, anyway.

11 comments:

Quirky Cafe said...

Oh I am SO sorry to hear this. I send Jewel a big tummy tickle with my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope she will be going on long walks with you, R and J very soon! xxxxxxxx

Gal Friday said...

Q.C.,
I so want to be able to do that again with Jewel, too.
Sat., when John and I took her up for a walk at the playgrounds, she was actually walking slowly BEHIND us, when usually she is off and running across the fields.
Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes.

SandraG said...

Hope this family member will perk right up with the correct medication!

It's hard to explain to dogs what is wrong. :-(

cessie said...

Poor Jewel, poor you!! When kids and animals are ill it's always so sad. Hope she will soon feel her good old self again...
Take care!!
X

4streegrrl said...

Poverina!!! :( Big hugs to you and the family! It is tough when an animal, or a little kid, is sick and doesn't understand what is wrong. I hope the medications and care send Jewel towards a speedy recovery and that she will be romping across the beach in short order.

Claus said...

I'm reading this and a tear is coming out. It might sound ridiculous to some, but I truly adore dogs! and animals in general. Might also be that exactly 3 years ago today my dear Tootsie passed away. It was so hard H.K to see her ill and sad...so I strongly hope and wish that Jewel gets better and back to her old self.

Princess and the Bear said...

Oh Te, I'm so sorry! Poor baby Jewel! I hope she gets all her tests done and starts on her medication soon as poss. I too was hoping it was just like jabs, taking her time to bounce back. Sending a big Kiss for the baby, take care hun xxx Love to R and J too xx

Manders said...

Sorry to hear about Jewel. It is hard when pets are ill. I hope she gets better quickly, poor thing.

Kate said...

Oh, I remember what it's like with a sick dog... :( Very sorry to read this. Hope you get some medication for her that will have her up and running around in no time. take care xx

Anonymous said...

Best recovery wishes to your beloved Jewel. It's so hard to see our furry babies ill. I hope you will soon be able to bring her home and watch her get back to her normal self. Take care xox

Gal Friday said...

Hey Everyone,
Jewel is home and eating and acting a lot closer to normal(she is on some kind of steroid which is given for Addison's and the fact that it is working kind of indicates that she probably has it.) She has to go back to spend the day at the vet's tomorrow and the test result should be in then, too.