Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wild turkeys, snakes and bamboo curtains..oh my!

I suppose I should write something here, but really, there isn't too much worth writing about. My days have been pleasantly boring. No big issues at work--everyone actually getting along (we are all Obama supporters--so at least there isn't any ugly political arguing going on. Not that we don't get angry at McCain/Palin, but at least it is a unified anger).
Family life is just a nice routine every day with a moment or two of panic thrown in (" What? You didn't tell me you need 20.00 for a field trip TODAY?!!"). I know I am probably in a rut, but right now am too busy to care about it much to do anything about it.

I could write that nearly every day I see a huge flock(is this the right word...or gaggle..or something else?) of wild turkeys by the road in the same place when I drive into town. And every day, just about, I see some horrifyingly butchered squirrel or opossum lying as road kill as I drive in to town (or back).
So, there's the local wildlife report.

My dreams, at least, have been interesting. Maybe only to me, but I am going to write about them here anyway.

I keep having dreams about being in big, old, badly decorated houses. A reoccurring theme. (I live in a small, non descript 70's house, BTW. Maybe I have a deep seated issue with my home?)
Now, already my dream from Sunday night(or early Monday morning?) is slipping away. Something about being in the yard of a big house and me trying to round up my daughter and her friends for a nature walk(or was it an Easter egg hunt?) and it slowly dawning on me that they were embarrassed to do it and felt too old for it and me feeling foolish for not realising it myself. That was kind of sad...
Another reoccurring thing that pops up in my dreams are reptiles. Snakes and lizards. In the dreams, they are never exactly threatening, but I get the feeling that they ARE potentially dangerous and they just happen to be slinking around my house or back yard in these dreams. In this dream, right before I woke up, I was inside the big, old house and next to an old floral sofa, there was a silver and blue snake. Not a big one, granted, but it made me uneasy. Then Jewel was barking at it and tried to bite it and I noticed the snake had a cute, cartoon face and I started to feel sorry for it. Of course, I was standing ON the couch, and begging John to take care of it and get it out of the house. I woke up to the sound of the alarm clock right about then.

Now, last night's dream is also slipping away as I write. But again, I was in a big, older house. Apparently, we had just moved into this house and John and I were standing on the landing of the second floor. I don't have a second floor in my REAL house so this was a bit of excitement for us in the dream.
Behind us were two doors and it turns out that one was the door to the upstairs bathroom. But instead of a normal door, it had a bamboo curtain with a Chinese -style painting on it with.... pugs all over it! (and you thought I was going to say snakes or lizards all over it!)
Most of the rest of the dream is already fading away --something about me being bold enough to try out for an arts competition and giving the wrong website to my name and people going to singer/songwriter Kate Bush's website instead and thinking it was me. Yeah..right! (remember, this is a dream and it isn't supposed to make any sense)
But I can still clearly see that bamboo curtain with the pugs all over it.




6 comments:

SandraG said...

I am jealous. You have such interesting dreams. I don't very often remember my dreams. Actually I remember them when I wake up but a few minutes later - nothing.

Last week I dreamt that my sister was hit by a car after narrowly avoiding being hit by another car.

The same night (early morning) I dreamt I was doing the wash and some appliance other than the water was filling up and I couldn't turn off the water. It got right to the top when I woke up.

No wonder I feel stressed!

Anonymous said...

I have many dreams about me, my life my work ...and believe me ....being your own boss is not always a bed of roses. What's really frightening is that I can never remember my dreams. My friend Lizzie writes them all down in a journal....She is so lucky! She remembers all her dreams. I don't!!!! By the way ... whatever you write is worth reading. Because as Proust said :"On écrit pour être lu" We write to be read !

Patricia said...

I rarely remember my dreams but when I do I remember them in every single detail...I wish I could remember them more often! I've checked an online dream dictionary about your dream. They could be funny:

Snake

A snake, being the ages old symbol of evil or satan, makes it a bad omen to have one show up in a dream. To see a lone snake and feel threatened by it shows that you have a bad enemy that is even then working against you, it also a warning against bodily harm from an enemy. To dream of many snakes in a pit is the foreboding of much bad luck in love or business. Should you overcome and kill a threatening snake in your dream shows that you will overcome your adversary and win out

Lizard

To see a lizard in your dream, signifies your primal instincts and reactions toward sex, food, etc. and your anxieties toward these feelings. The lizard can also be representative of a person who you view as cold-blooded, fearful, or thick-skinned. On a more positive note, the lizard also symbolizes emerging creativity, renewal, and revitalization. It may also suggest that you are well-grounded.

:)

Gal Friday said...

Sandra,
I don't always remember my dreams, but when I do, it is vividly..for at least half a day. I wrote this entry an hour or so after I had woken up. As for your own dreams, I felt not a little anxiety myself, just reading about them.

Anastasia,
Thank you for educating me about that line from Proust... just might incorporate it into my blog title. :-)

Patricia,
I am like you in that I can go weeks without really remembering a dream and then I dream one night and it is so vivid it stays with me.
The interpretations you looked up for me are...interesting. I have actually been trying to self- analyse why I have reptiles in my dreams so often. In real life, they do make me uneasy--perhaps they represent something I am unsure about or afraid to face? There is defnitely something "primal" about it.

Arty said...

One thing for sure is that your blogs are never boring. Dreams are just dreams I like to think That our minds are given permission to venture to unusual places and circumtances we usually aren't permitted to in our waking lives. I hope that made sense. ??

cessie said...

It's always so fascinating to learn that you know eachother's political preferences. I *really* would not know it of my co-workers and not even of most of my friends, family or relatives. It's just something you don't talk about that much here. I don't care to talk about my preferences, but somehow it used to be 'something you did not talk about'.

Have you looked up what your dreams mean? You have quite specific dreams lately ;-)

X