Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Release the Holiday Hounds

What common breed of dog are YOU? (pssst..I'm a Greyhound, of course!)

I have had greyhounds on the brain for last the day or so.

There is a lovely image on a painted floor of what appears to be a greyhound at Content In A Cottage very recently, too.

I don't know if we'll ever adopt another dog, but....every time we see (meaning my daughter and I--Mr. Friday keeps mum about the entire subject) a greyhound, we want one so badly. (I keep saying I want to adopt a greyhound for my 50th birthday...) Such grace and beauty and those eyes! Since our Jewel has Italian Greyhound(miniature version) in her, we often see that same look with the big soft eyes and that sweet shy glance. And to feel the sleek coat of a greyhound is like touching the softest, silkiest peach fuzz.

There are always plenty of retired greyhounds looking for a home ( there are still dog tracks in this state as well as neighboring states Massachusetts and Connecticut) and the rescue groups who help place these dogs in loving homes are to be commended. Before there were these groups, many greyhounds were simply destroyed (some in not such humane ways, either)

I am always told by the owners of these adopted dogs that they make perfect, well behaved loving "couch potato" companions(needing not as much exercise as you would think). Even if we never do bring one of these long and lean canines into our lives, I still love admiring them and even seeking out videos of them. Here's one from the last Christmas season, created by a gentleman in the UK. It's got Greyts, witty commentary, a soft Scots accent and good Christmas music. What's not to like?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope all of those lovely greys went to new adoptive parents! What a nice video and post to wake up to. Thanks! ♥Rosemary & Webster

Manders said...

I received the same answer as you to that quiz.

I like Greyhounds, too, but I prefer smaller dogs.

Anonymous said...

Aren't they just beautiful! I've heard nothing but good things about greyhounds.... and thanks to these rescue groups, indeed. It would be wonderful if you manage to adopt one someday!! With my house full of cats, I doubt I will ever end up with a dog as well... but you never know. :)

Anonymous said...

Just took the quiz... I'm a greyhound too!