...you better not cry! (that's me and my sister in the photo--she's the blond one--"meeting" Santa back when I was four years old. Santa Claus always visited us on Christmas Eve to distribute gifts. This happened while Daddy was out getting his pipe tobacco which he always *inconveniently* forgot on Christmas Eve and so always just missed Santa's arrival at our house. I remember being absolutely terrified of Santa--loved the toys, of course, but it was a huge relief once he had gone.)This is turning out to be a week of You Tube videos, but I couldn't resist sharing this one.
If one were to look at this from a psychological point of view, you could sort people into two types--children who are eager and happily excited to meet Santa (or, ahem...Santa's Helper) and those that are horrified by the idea. Actually, there might be a third category which I would fall into. The type that wasn't too thrilled and more than a little afraid of Santa in person, but stoically endured(no tears or protest, but not a very happy look on my face, I am sure) the ordeal of having to sit on his lap and mumble a few words to him.
8 comments:
I recognize your story but it always happened a little earlier in the month for me (5 Dec: Sinterklaas)...I was so terrified as a child when meeting Sinterklaas and his helpers that my mum decided to tell me that it was all fake ;-).
But as children we were told the threat that when you had not been well-behaved or good enough during the year they would put you in the sack and take you with them back to Spain. Sooo scary! And so pedagogical...NOT. They have changed this story a bit now ;-).
Haha...You Tube is so very addictive isn't it! There are so many interesting videos to watch!
I got a good laugh from that video of all the terrified children. I wonder how many ended up in therapy? :-)
♥Rosemary
LOL...what our fathers used to do to bring us the joy of *Father Xmas* - mine did the same!!!!
Had a good laugh at the Youtube video...the other evening I was sitting at my computer upstairs killing myself laughing while going throught a few of the clips, hubby called up to find out what was going on...it was so good to just laugh!!
Thanks for visiting my blog
xx
LOL... oh that video was too much!!! :) How cute, yet sad... all those terrified kids!!
As I recall I was just too shy to want to see Santa. I remember Mom asking if I wanted to, and the answer was noooooooo!! :) I was such a shy kid for awhile there. And in later years they'd have those Santas walking around the stores and stuff, and I was always just hoping they wouldn't see me or speak to me.... LOL!!
Not sure when I finally realized who Santa really was, but I do remember when I was a kid in Connecticut, I deliberately wanted my Christmas stocking hung on my bedroom door. I had a plan to stay awake on Christmas Eve and I was going to find out for sure who put stuff in that stocking... LOL. Ahh well, I fell asleep!! But I was trying to catch them in the act... 'cause other friends were telling me by then that there was no Santa!! Ahh well, he always ate the cookies and milk I left out for him anyway!! ;)
Cessie,
I can't blame your mother for telling you the truth about Sinterklaas. I never felt quite comfortable with the "lie" of Santa with my own daughter and when she started questioning his exsistence early on, I didn't carry on and try to keep the story going, but told her(she was seven when she pretty much had guessed, anyway)
Rosemary,
It makes you wonder that the parent let the photo be taken while their child was obvioulsy so miserable.
Marcelle,
So your father dressed as Santa(Fater Christmas, too?!) When I was eight I looked into "Santa's" eyes as he handed me a gift that Christmas Eve and saw my father's eyes and had a big light bulb moment when I realised it had been him all along. I kept this knowledge to myself, so as not to spoil it for my younger sister and brother.
As for YouTube, sometimes I do the same thing, or even sit around with my daughter, laughing at certain videos.
Sherry,
You wrote, "As I recall I was just too shy to want to see Santa. I remember Mom asking if I wanted to, and the answer was noooooooo!! :) I was such a shy kid for awhile there. And in later years they'd have those Santas walking around the stores and stuff, and I was always just hoping they wouldn't see me or speak to me."
I could have written the same thing--I was painfully shy and wanted nothing to do with Santa in the stores, and even when I was much older, dreaded running into a Santa in a store. My daughter was much the same way--never wanted to go anywhere near Santa's lap, so I never made her.
On Monday 22nd, my Junior A (7-8 year-olds learning English as a second language) AND I are putting up a great Christmas play called "Santa's Helpers" - the helpers being the reindeer , of course. The kids love it and so do I! These kids have been learning English since September 15th and they are doing fine in the play. As a kid, I'd always write a letter to Santa which I posted by the end of November. I mean really posted. I just put the letter in the yellow mail box outside the school. So my parents never knew what I wanted for Christmas! I stopped believing in Santa when I saw mum and dad putting the presents under the tree and then they went on to drink Santa's milk and eat Santa's biscuits. I was 11 years old!!!
Just watched the video and had a good laugh! Poor kids! I never sat on a Santa's lap because when I was a kid, there was only one Santa! The real one ! The one who brings the presents on Christmas Eve. Happy Christmas!
Anastasia,
I really wish I could be in the audience for your student's play(I think it wonderful your students are learning a second language so young Unfortunately, children here in the US. learn a language much later)
You must have had some strong belief in Santa if your letter's written wishes went unanswered by Santa. Or else, your parents knew *somehow* what you wanted for Christmas and gave you some of the things on your list. :-)
Post a Comment