This is a story about wishing.****
**************
There are three favorite Christmas books I try to read every holiday season. They are Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" (have not read it this year, so far, and don't think it'll happen that I'll read it. If I am lucky, I'll catch one of the numerous movie versions of this tale on TV around Christmas), Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory", and Rumer Godden's "The Story Of Holly and Ivy".
First published in 1958 by Godden, The Story Of Holly And Ivy is a beautiful story about the things we all wish for at Christmas ~feeling loved and belonging, and...magic. Reading this book with Rachel has always made me actually feel a kind of Christmas magic, simply because the tale is so well told in Godden's words. And I always get a lump in my throat and my voice quivers (when I have read it aloud) towards the end. And it is a happy ending, let me tell you!
I insisted, after reading it to Rachel for the first time, about six years ago, that J had to read this story to his third grade class right before school gets out for the Christmas break. He has made it a tradition at his school, just like it has become a tradition here at home. His students love it and beg him not to stop reading. (he tries to space it out over two days)
In addition to the lyrical writing there are the simply perfect accompanying softly colored illustrations by Barbara Cooney (an author/illustrator I could write a whole blog about, too) in the 1985 edition which I own. It's hard to find. For some silly reason it has been out of print. There was a TV movie based on the book, The Wish That Changed Christmas, made in 1991, according to IMDb website and I wish I could view it just once. In it, Jonathan Winters is the voice of Abbracadabra, the evil toy shop owl, which I think is inspired casting.
I don't know why this story isn't more widely known. I only discovered it for the first time in my life when I saw a review of it in a children's book catalog six years ago. I now cannot imagine a Christmas without reading this book. (in fact, I will have to remind J to be sure to bring the book back home on his last day of school which is tomorrow.)
8 comments:
I will have to look into this book. I've never heard of it before. I can't believe your husband has school until tomorrow. That is really late. Our schools were out on either Thursday or Friday last week! Strange. That book does sound wonderful....
I agree so with you; my Irish boyfriend reads to me every night;) We just finished reading "The Christmas Carol" the day before yesterday. Believe it or not, I never read it before.;)
He also recently brought my attention to a Christmas song called "The Holly and The Ivy", with wonderful lyrics. I never knew there was a book as well, have to ask him about that.
Thank you so much for stopping by my place and leaving such a wonderful comment; you are absolutely welcome back at any time.
Hope you will have a wonderful Christmas.;)
This book is new to me too. I've heard the song by that name. Will look for it at the library. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas this year with your family. I look forward to hearing all about it!♥Rosemary
That's real cute Tina..I hope you manage to view that film eventually :)
I am missing out on so much.... I rarely do read, I'm sad to say. I don't know why I don't make it a point to make time for that, because once I get into it I do enjoy it. Of course it's harder now that I need stronger drugstore reading glasses these days... LOL. Maybe it's a good new year's "resolution".... even though I don't believe in them so much... I should just try to find some quiet time to do some reading. You're inspiring how you enjoy it so!!
But other than that, I just wanted to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!! Hope you have a lovely holiday!! *hugs*
Manders,
If this book were not so hard to find, I would send you my copy! Search for it on online(eBay?)--I guarantee you and your children will love it.
Protege,
Thanks for the comment and a Merry Christmas to you, as well!
I can just imagine how heavenly it must be to listen to "A Christmas Carol" read aloud in an Irish accent.
In school(7th grade) we had a music teacher who read this story aloud to us and he was the person who really introduced this story to me for the first time(aside from having seen a cartoon version on TV)
Rosemary,
I hope your libary has this book. I read it last night, lying on the couch, in fact, and yes, it brought a tear to my eye as always. Merry Christmas to you, too...and a Happy New Year! I am glad to have "found" you and your beautiful blog this year and look forward to the thoughts and visual treats you'll be offering up in 2009.
Arty,
This book is beyond cute, trust me(even your sons would like it, I bet) Anyway, I am content for now, with knowing I have the book to re-read and maybe, yes, I'll somehow stumble upon a way to rent or buy the film version one day.
Duskie,
You might want to look into borrowing books-on-tape(or CD) from your local library, if the reading part is hard for you. Like I told Manders, I would send this book on to you to share it with you, but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to find another copy(because it is out of print)
Merry Christmas to you, too..ho..ho..ho! :-)
Tina...I haven't been to the library yet. I just noticed the author's name. Have you seen the movie THE RIVER (Criterion)? It is the true story of Rumer Godden's childhood in India. It is my favorite movie. You must rent it. I know you will like it. Here is the link: http://www.criterion.com/films/679
PS. Make sure you watch all the extras on the dvd too!
Thank you Rosemary!
I have just found it on Netflix and moved it to the top of the queue(we watched "Good Night And Good Luck" last night so will send it back today) and should get it in the mail soon! I had never heard of the movie but now I am very intrigued about it.
Post a Comment