I was thinking this certain thought about a certain song that gets played during the holiday season all the past week. And then Eartha Kitt dies on Christmas Day (age 82 of colon cancer) and I was thinking--"nah..I can't write that now.." But, here I go anyway~
I decided this year that I really hate that "Santa Baby" song. Same goes for "I saw Santa Kissing Santa Claus". It might have to do with a certain "ick factor" about Santa being a sugar daddy and possibly sexual being. Something like that. (Sorry, Eartha. I have to say you were one unique and talented lady and a wickedly awesome Cat Woman, though.)
Why do the Christmas and holiday songs suddenly vanish from the airwaves exactly at the stroke of midnight on December 26? Some places were playing Christmas songs the day after Halloween. I think they should wait later and play them a little while after Christmas. It is still Christmas to me, anyway. And if I see a thrown out Christmas tree this week, I'll scream. I don't understand that. My own husband was an "okay, Christmas is over, let's get the tree out of here" guy until I re-trained him. I try to make it until January 6. (have to say, though--the needles are already falling like crazy)
I have been watching the old Bob Newhart(the first one) and Mary Tyler Moore Show all week on TV with Mr. Friday.(some really great Christmas episodes) I never thought I would sound so "old geezer-ish" but, they really don't make them like they used to. Also, the 70's interiors(electric typewriters , ringing black dial phones with cords, macrame plant holders, wood panelled walls, fondue sets and lots of chrome furniture), fashion, hair and and even the sound of the the theme songs is entertaining.
8 comments:
I LOVE Bob Newhart!! One of my Dad's favorites, so I was sort of trained to like it! I do!
I too think Santa as a sexual being is a little wacked! I was sad to hear that Eartha died, though. She was her own unique person in a time when uniqueness wasn't 'cool'!
I don't understand either why people are in such a hurry to take down their Christmas decorations! I leave mine up til the 6th as well.
I so agree with you; my neighbors have already taken all their decorations down. It is way to early. Although I do remove some of them before New Years Eve, the tree stays until at least the second week in January.
With that said though, I do start really early; the whole December month is filled with celebrations and traditions in my house, so comes January, I am totally ready for the Holidays to end and the spring to arrive.;))
I love Bob Newhart too,LOL, to funny.Well my neighbor next door took her decorations down today.Im amazed she always kept them up with all of us on the block til after the New Year.You know its funny you mentioned Christmas songs.I felt the same driving yesterday to the grocery store.What would be wrong with just playing them a few days after the Christmas day itself? Wow I think it would be nice.
I'm with you , Tina. On Boxing Day most Christmas songs disappear. Sounds like Rudolph takes them away while guiding Santa's sleigh back home! Xo xo xo! Happy New Year!
At the school, I take down the Christmas decorations on January 7...just before classes start after the Christmas break. But at home, I take them down after January 15!
Manders,
I am SO glad you like Bob Newhart. He's made quite a career being ..what is the word.."droll"?
Janet,
My tree is REALLY dropping needles now, even though we give it water every day...I hope we'll make it til next week.
Protege,
I can understand a little of that "out with the old, in with the new" feeling. But "spring" to me, seems too far off still. I do like looking at and dreaming of spring when the seed and garden mail order catalogs come in(always around New Year's)
Becky,
I had "You Better Watch Out..." stuck in my head all day yesterday and even saw a commercial on TV with a Christmas theme..
Anastasia,
I think in Greece and Cyprus, that is the tradition, to keep Christmas "alive" that long, right? If I didn't have a real tree, might keep mine up as long as you do. I love sitting in an almost dark room at night with it all lit up.
I know! what's up with vanishing Christmas songs on the 26th. As I mentioned on my blog, there was a radio station with Christmas songs since the 1st of December. All of the sudden, morning of the 26th, no Christmas songs anymore! I was, as probably many people, on the Christmas mode, so it felt strange.
For us here, it is custom to leave the tree until "Dia de Reyes" or January 6th. Now, there are some people that leave it until...get ready...February 2nd!!! That day Catholic Church celebrates the presentation of baby Jesus in the Temple (here called Candelaria), which would mark the end of the holidays. A bit too much, don't you think? By then, those who have a natural tree, would have only sticks and dried branches!!
Post a Comment