Monday, December 29, 2008

A (not so) Manic Monday


Starting off slowly and sluggishly this Monday morning, and am trying this Monday meme for the first time today. I found it here.

What is the biggest mistake you made in 2008 and will not make again in 2009?
Eating at any chain restaurant such as Chili's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, T.G.I.F.'s . They are one and the same, really. Same interior, same menu(giant glossy photos, way too many pages), same sucky food.
I swear, the stuff all comes out of a box frozen and gets popped into a microwave back in the "kitchen". We ate at Chili's last night. Somehow, I knew I was going to have some kind of indigestion afterwards. J had a gift card from my parent's (a birthday gift) and we thought we would use it after the movies(we saw Doubt--go SEE it!) since we were up near there(the region of this small state where all the big box stores and chain restaurants are). I knew not to expect anything tremendous and knew to stay away from anything on the menu with the word "crisper" in it(which essentially means extra deep fried breaded chicken), so ordered a hamburger and fries--hadn't had one in a l-o-n-g time. It was good--tasted like a hamburger and fries should and I ate almost all of it. Then, of course, I woke up last night with an upset stomach and even now, I still don't feel quite right. I am sure the Margarita I drank didn't help. Live and learn. I will not set foot in one of those places this year, even if there is a gift card.

Do you make New Year's resolutions? Why or why not?
Sometimes I do. Some years I didn't bother. Last year, I did say I was going to cut out sugar from my diet. Of course, by mid summer, I had forgotten about that, but I did become aware of how much sugar (and evil high fructose corn syrup) is in some foods and did naturally cut down and don't have as much of a craving for sweet foods anymore. I have not even thought of, yet, what my resolution for 2009 might be. Maybe I'll get back on the no/less sugar wagon again. I think, also, that I will stay away from beef(ground, in particular--should not have eaten that Chili's burger). I don't ever eat it at home, but I know now I will not order it in a restaurant, either.

Who do you nominate as “Man or Woman of the Year” for 2008?

Barack Obama, of course!

What was your greatest accomplishment in 2008?
Keeping my cool, always, at work, despite some antagonising and trying moments because of certain co-workers (and certain customers).




7 comments:

Zuzana said...

This is a cool tag.;)) And I like your answers.;)
I find it difficult with New Years resolutions and I do not make any. Ah, I remember Chili's! And they did have great Margaritas.;) Sorry that the experiences there for you are less than pleasant.
Hope your Monday is good.;)

Teena in Toronto said...

Great that you're staying cool :)

I played too :)

Claus said...

Sorry about the bad night! Some chain restaurants can indeed cause such situations...but now you know!

I generally do not make resolutions. By mid January I even forget what they were! haha So I just hope for a good year in general. This year, though, I have the goal of keeping my exercise routine. It's done me good, and it's only logical to continue with it.
Great accomplishment for 2008!! It is indeed a very difficult thing to keep it cool at work!! Good for you.

SandraG said...

We have only eaten at Applebee's and I completely agree with your assessment. the food is awful, in my opinion. I much prefer Denny's at least up here in Canada. There is a restaurant called Phil's - only in Alberta and it's my favourite family style restaurant.

I think salt might be more harmful to us than sugar but it's probably wise to cut back on both.

Happy New Year! Tina,

Gal Friday said...

Protege,
I never used to make resolutions, but I find if I tell enough people about them, they keep me "in line" and I am likely to try harder to keep them.

Teena,
Keeping REALLY cool today(cold and WINDY out)--must be even colder where you are today. Thanks for stopping by....please come by anytime.


Claudia,
How great to hear you have really been sticking with the exercising--keep it up in 2009! ;-) Bet you look and feel great.

Sandra,
I remember you raving about Phi's in a blog! Luckily, closer to home, we have plenty of good spots to eat that are NOT chain restaurants and the food is very good. I just wanted to try something different(and we had the gift card)...(and my tummy is all better today)
Happy New Year to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog!!! I of course agree with the man of the year!!!

I haven't eaten at those chains, except maybe once I ate at TGI Friday's... nothing special IMO. But I know what you mean about those types of places and indigestion!! :)

I don't really make resolutions anymore either, though you could call it "plans" in the back of my mind, not firm resolutions exactly, just to do better as far as good health practices, etc.

As far as work stress, I sure hope that eases up for you in 2009!!

Janet said...

I personally cannot WAIT til 1/20/09!!!