
Or "Repeat" Listening
I'm re-publishing an entry I wrote last year at this time.
Out of curiosity, I went back to exactly a year in my own archives, to see what I had written then. It was much nicer out, weather-wise than it is this week of 2010, since it's cold rain and snow on the ground(but melting into a mucky mess) today.
***from Feb. 24, 2009
Today I had my annual visit to the eye doctor.
As usual, I had to wait about a half hour there (even though I was right on time at 10:15), before I was called in to see Dr. Z. I guess that isn't so bad, considering this is the only one of my doctor's or dentist's offices I ever have to wait long in for an appointment.
Anyway....it wasn't a bad visit after the boring wait--nothing to make you feel uneasy or uncomfortable. But, I completely forgot that they put those drops in your eyes to dilate them so they can test them. And of course, it had to be a blindingly bright and sunny day out there, so even with sunglasses, it was difficult to see once I left the office. I drove straight home--not too bad with the visor down and my sunglasses on.
Once I reached home, I realised I was hungry and since the kitchen was kind of dark, I found it easy enough to manage to heat up some soup. Since it was so nice out and I didn't feel the cold(the wind had died down from the gale like gusts of yesterday) I decided to try eating my lunch outside on our sunny south facing deck. With the sun being stronger this time of year, it is often comfortable enough to sit there around noon, wearing a jacket, but without any hat or gloves. I have done it in the past. And I felt like I needed the sun's warmth on my face and body today.
I dragged a dining chair out there, and even put the dog's bed out next to the chair so Jewel could join me. With her black fur, she heats up nicely in warm sunshine.
It was as warm as I had hoped it would be. Even though the temps at the weather station said a high of 34*F(around 1*C), it felt much, much warmer, with the sun soaking into the house wall directly behind my chair. It is as if we have a whole different microclimate in our backyard because it is at the bottom of a hill, protected by tall fences and faces south.
Even with my sunglasses on, though, I couldn't read the book I decided I was going to read out there as I ate. The effects of the dilation were making it impossible to focus on anything, especially with the sun shining right on my face. I was annoyed, at first.
So..I had to give in and simply sit there, seeing nothing, and with nothing else to fill up my brain. I am so used to always busying my brain with something to read whenever I sit alone eating or even sit outside. But this time I was forced to close my eyes and just sit there, cupping the bowl under my chin so I wouldn't spill any soup from my spoon. And when I was done, I started to really listen to the sounds of my quiet corner of the world. Daily, I hear things like birdsong and sometimes the wind, but never pay attention to it for long, really.
But today, the sounds around me--
the cardinals singing from the very top of a tree(I did peek quickly),
the blue jay's and chickadee's calls,
the scampering of the squirrels along the top of the fence (bet Jewel was noticing that!),
the distant hum of the highway traffic,
far off seagull cries,
and the music of a few neighbor's wind chimes--started to take on a rhythmic quality.
It was almost like a random back and forth symphony and I can understand how someone who is blind might be more attuned to musical sounds in everyday life.
I loved hearing the sound of the wind that made the leaves on the ground rustle lightly and the still bare trees creak as the very tops swayed. But luckily, the wind didn't touch me in my secluded, protected spot.
I also noticed how truly devoid of most human noises my neighborhood is at that time of day and this time of year. There was only the distant sound of the highway(usually not noticed when all the leaves are on the trees). Once I heard the familiar sound of the UPS delivery truck making its rounds. For the most part, it was the furry and feathered inhabitants of my suburban world who were making all the noise. Although I wouldn't call it noise since it was so lo-fi and reassuring to listen to.
I kept noticing the fluttering of wings overhead and near the house. Finally, with my head tilted in the direction I heard these sounds coming from, I peeked out of the corner of my eye to see a female cardinal taking off with a twig (or something like it--very small) in her beak from the house's gutter. Then I heard the a flurry of wings again, and noticed another one--a male, this time. They were most likely building a nest. I'll mention to J that our gutters probably need to be cleaned out, but I think I'll wait a few days at least, so the birds can use whatever they want out of there.
Eventually, I nearly fell asleep, with my head lolling back. I could have used a real deck chair to lean back in but they are still stored away. It won't be long until they offically come out of hibernation, though. And today was a nice first touch of what is to come
and a chance to slow down and just "be" for a little while.
15 comments:
Lovely, Tina. Thanks for taking us there with you.
:-)
Really needed it today.
Generally our world is really noisy. How wonderful you were able to appreciate the peaceful side of nature today. :-)
Sounds like a lovely afternoon Tina :) I love listening to the birds and hearing the sounds of nature. Around here though I don't get to hear to much, there are birds but they have been quiet lately. We have a tree right outside our patio and the birds have built a few nests in it, drives my dogs crazy, they will bark if I leave the patio door open to let fresh air in.
How nice to be able to stop and immerse yourself in the warm moments on your deck. It's so important to do that from time to time, to just be in the present and live the moment. What a relaxing lunch!
Thank you for sharing your day with us; what a great read. I felt like I was there with you.
I know what you mean with just "be".
Funny with the eye drops; I remember they did that in the US. Although I go and see the optrician every year here, I have never had those drops put into my eyes.;))
~Only,
You are welcome-- I was lucky I had a day to myself, even if had to be blinded temporarily.
Again--just so you know--I have been visting and enjoyng reading your blog but cannot leave a comment (this has been going on for two or three days) there.
~Sandra,
Like I said to Only a Movie, I am grateful I had that time to myself yesterday.
~Roseann,
Maybe your dogs will cease barking after a while? My dog doesn't bark at them, but she is obsessed with the squirrels in our yard (some of them taunt and tease her, I swear!)
~Joanne,
It really IS important to be avble to de-stress like that(some do it w/ yoga and meditation) and I was such a happy, easy-going person for the rest of the day.
~Protege,
I am not even sure what the drops are for. Maybe to check for glaucoma and disease? I had it done to me for the first time last year.
Sounds like a very relaxing afternoon Tina...I mean, you almost fell asleep! ;-) And how did the eye check up went? I'm assuming everything was alright? This morning, there was for a minute or two silence at church (Ash Wednesday), and it was so deep, we could all hear the birds outside singing. It was so peaceful and nice...little moments, but beautiful ones.
What a great post! I have so much trouble getting quiet. My mind likes to chew on stuff.(I even walk my dog with This American Life podcasts playing in my ears.) I'm working on it, though. As you say, I think there's value in sitting still, hearing what's happening around and inside you. A psychological detox.
Sounds perfect..listening to nothing but nature but with 1 degrees? It's around 13 deg cel here and it's freezing. :)
Oh! You only had to wait for half an hour at the doctor's? Lucky you! I usually wait for 1 hour (after an appointment!!) at my dentist's. At the ophthalmologist's, however, I wait much less (after an appointment!) About 10-15 minutes. Ah well, I don't mind really, because I relax during my waiting time (except at the dentist's!) reading a favourite book or chatting with the other people in the waiting room! After the rain , our usual blue skies came back as if by magic! The temperature rose to 14*C at midday - it was very cold for me! And right now it's gone down to 8*C. Can't wait for our long , hot summer to come!
~Claudia,
What a beautiful moment for all of you at the church service this morning! I assume you went befoe work(or do you have this day off in Guatemala?)
~Scribe Girl,
Although I walk my dog without anything in my ears, I also most often have to be listening or reading when I am alone(NPR radio on, and read anyhting I can get my hands on), so to be somewhat forced to just sit was a good thing for me.
~~Arty,
At this time of year, the sun FEELS warmer and it really was comfortable out there! :-)
~Anastasia,
At least you have a good attitude about waiting in doctor's offices.
Sometimes, I get left in the dentist's chair for a while and I like just sitting back and seeing out the big window and the birds coming to the bird feeders and the flower gardens--intentionally designed for that reason by the dental practice.
14*C would be delightfully warm for us here at this time of year!!(I would wear bare arms)
what a great afternoon you had. those eye drops have never affected me that way. good thing you got home ok.
I love sitting on my deck out at the lake and watching the hummingbirds. Maybe I will be able to catch a shot of them this summer.
ummm, that was nice to read... :)
It is especially nice to dream about warm sunshine when it is MINUS 30*C outside this morning (with a Minus 38*C windchill to add insult to injury!!). It will be wishful thinking for the next few months, to sit on the deck and enjoy the sunshine and sounds of birds and squirrels (and there are not many of either around when it is THIS cold).
And it is *beautifully* clear and sunny during this cold snap... quite the dichotomy between sun and temperature...
Reading this made me feel so good, thank you!!!:) Almost felt as if I had been on the deck with you, enjoying the sunshine and noises!!!:)
Ah, peace,quiet and sun. I long for a day like that. i think I will make one today. Thanks for the great idea!!!!
Post a Comment