Thursday, March 19, 2009

No Zeppola(or Tilbrook) For You!

I'm cursed, cursed I tell you!

So, I couldn't get even one Shamrock Shake for my kid on St. Pat's Day. I'm over it.


But.....today I pick R up after her brutal 2 hour try-out for track and field(or "Camp Torture" as she called it as she collapsed onto the car seat) and tell her we'll stop off at the fruit market(which happens to have a small, but excellent bakery) that is near our house so I can get her a St. Joseph's Day zeppola.

I run in(had to get some crusty bread for supper, too, and their Italian loaf is superb)and go directly to the back where the bakery is. I can see three large zeppole (only 3?? )on a tray. There is an older lady, wearing a pair of glasses with a chain, standing in front of me. She asks how much the zeppole are and then tells the worker to box up all...three!! Nooooo...!

Calm down, I say to myself. There might be more in the back.

But, nope, there aren't. Came out of there with only the bread and some pears.


Geez, I just can't get a break here this week with the speciality holiday foods, now can I?

Granted, it is partly my fault. I should have known to go earlier and not wait until the afternoon. Only, there was no way for me to get out of the shop today since I was alone most of the time and by the time I got out, I wanted to get home to let the dog out.

I'll try again tomorrow.
Also, I'm feeling old and tied to a routine today. I opened the paper this morning and saw this photo of Glenn Tilbrook(looking incredibly adorable) and then read that he is appearing with his other band(besides Squeeze), The Fluffers at The Narrows. Tonight.
If I had only known ahead of time, made plans and it were ideally on a weekend and perhaps a little closer(it's over the state line and sadly, I have become one of those Rho Dylinders who dreads driving any distance to do anything), J and I might have gone.
And I just haven't yet gotten to the point where I feel comfortable having R alone in the house late at night.
Instead, I'll make a spaghetti supper with fresh bread with NO pastry for dessert, but will dig out some old Squeeze Cd's tonight.
.

11 comments:

Anastasia Marou said...

Not sure what holiday you're celebrating...is it St Patrick? Must be Irish. Anyway, I was never very good at Saints' names. Hmmm.... Miss R? Home alone? Hope you have locked up the ice-cream. Spaghetti sounds nice - it's the easy solution after a hard day at work - not very festive , though. Filakia!

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia,
Yeah...the poor man's supper--plain sauce and spaghetti and bread. :-)
It's St. Joseph's Day today--and because many people of Italian(specifically Sicilan)descent live here, the bakeries are full of the traditional fried dough, cream filed pastries in honor of that saint's day.

cessie said...

Yoohoo...I got a sign you blogged this time!
How interesting you have different specialties for so many holidays ;-)
Hope you will have more luck next time though!
Ah well, sometimes one just does not feel like going out...that's just life isn't it! I so often feel like that and I listen to it...there will be another time I guess.
Oh and I *love* your drawing in the header...it's awesome!

Gal Friday said...

~Cessie,
I am glad you like my hat lady so much. :-) Is it already "tomorrow" where you are (in China)?? I'll have to ead your latest blog now...

Gal Friday said...

..ead..READ, that is..

sallymandy said...

I just read about these zeppole or zeppola today on Lola's blog. I had never heard of them but I'm sure I would have scarfed a few up given the chance.

Isn't it nice there are so many other eating opportunities around? Said rather sarcastically. I've gained five pounds all too quickly this winter.

Gal: talked to my friend the artist posted about the other day, and we're working on a post of her work.

Gal Friday said...

~Well, Ms. Sallymandy,
It is a very good thing I DIDN'T eat any of that pastry afterall. I, too, gained some weight this winter becasue i just love to cook, bake and eat too much!
I'll look forward to that blog about your artist friend..AND..I need to get back over to your blog to read your latest. I quickly saw a very detailed and interesting one(the impressionist Montana painter,Fra, caught my eye!)and want to take more time to digest all you have written and shared there.

SandraG said...

I feel the same as you about being caught in routine lately - very boring, for me anyway.

Zuzana said...

Hehe, this happens to me all the time.;))

cheatymoon said...

I am sorry about missing out on those treats...

Love love love that photo of Glenn Tilbrook, and oh my isn't he more adorable in middle age? I saw Squeeze a few times. Once in Boston and once in the U.K., and maybe another time that I don't quite remember. Two times, definitely. One of my favorites. We have such similar taste in music.

Sorry about the Shamrock Shake. Are they minty?

Gal Friday said...

~Sandra,
I have definitely been n a rut and I know what I need to do to shake things up, but haven't been brave enough to do it...
Still, sometimes somewhat dull days and routine can be a good thing compared to the opposite which can be disruption, bad news, illnes, etc.

~Protege,
I take it you are meaning my typos! We can be "Queens of typos and dyslexic letters" together!(at least you can say you are writing in a second language and I am writing in the only language I know, so there isn't much of an excuse for me. Besides, I can honestly say I never notice your mistakes at all)

~Erin,
I know...doesn't Glenn look fantastic for his age or ANY age?!I got all swoony when I saw it in the paper!!
I saw Squeeze perform only once-- in RI(at the university..maybe 1982? ), and met them in Boston at a record signing event when they were promoting "Eastside Story"-of course I got all nervous and mumbly when they signed the LP(which I lost to a cellar flooding a few years ago).