Being an American, when in a public place, I like to have and am used to my allotted “personal space”.
That 8 inches or so radius of space between me and another stranger. When you are in line, you expect to not have someone breathing down your neck and heaven forbid—never actually bumping into you and touching you!
I just had an afternoon where I had two encounters where my personal space was “violated”.
Not the worst thing in the world—just two events that happened in the space of an hour or so at two different places that made me wonder what was going on. ?????
First off, I was in line at a store (Job Lot, Erin!)
—where I went in for one thing and came out with ten, because that is the Job Lot way,
and was finishing paying and then gathering up my purchases into my bag, when I had a feeling of being almost pushed along and out of there by the next person behind me—a man I saw out of the corner of my eye, standing now very close to me.
Even, though, like I said, I had just finished up and was still not done and not quite ready to go. (he was already inching up right beside me before I had even gotten the total from the clerk, now that I think of it)
Even the clerk had to tell him to “wait” (he had already swiped his debit card in the machine and apparently she wasn’t ready for that). And there I was still gathering up my things and not even ready myself. Right, this man was so annoying standing so close and in such a stupid hurry.
Even the clerk had to tell him to “wait” (he had already swiped his debit card in the machine and apparently she wasn’t ready for that). And there I was still gathering up my things and not even ready myself. Right, this man was so annoying standing so close and in such a stupid hurry.
Then, as I was putting my key into the ignition once I was out of there and in the parking lot, I noticed that same man jumping (hurriedly) into a car parked right alongside the entrance. Obviously, whatever rush he was in and so badly needed at Job Lot meant that parking in a normal parking spot was not for him. He was off and out of the lot before me, even.
What was the rush? Well, he was one of those rushed and therefore rude people.
I was still a little ticked off by his inching his way into my “space” and rushing me along. The noive of him!
After Job Lot, I had one more errand—needed to get some things at the market near our house— some cheese at the deli counter in particular.
I went to the back of the store first and waited in front of the deli counter. They weren’t too busy, with one other person already standing there and being waited on. I was next, once that man was done getting his order. As I am standing there, I notice out of the corner of my eye, a woman—short whitish curly hair, a little older than me—come along and stand right near me. And I mean NEAR me—as in almost shoulder to shoulder-- she was so close.
Did I mention there wasn’t a huge rush of people there? And plenty of room? At first I thought she was about to tell me something or that she was getting a closer look at something in the case and then would move away after a bit. But, er, nooo..she stayed right there.
A little disconcerting, to say the least.
But, again, not the worst thing in the world—she seemed a nice person and didn’t smell or anything. But, still—strange that she had no concept of “personal space” and was so close to me. Even the woman behind the case was confused when it came time for my-um, “our” turn. She asked if we were “together”!! I said, “no, I’m next" and moved apart more than slightly to reclaim my “space” and get my cheese and get out of there.
Maybe it’s my perfume?
9 comments:
Don't you wish you had a personal air bag (or hula hoop) which would emplode when necessary? Maybe you need to get a big messenger bag and move it to the side being violated. Just a thought. I'm with you totally. Both of your personal encounters were rather creepy. I love reading about all of your your "adventures".
Maybe we should all go back to wearing Hoop Skirts. Then no one could stand too close to us.
What a weird thing to happen to you. Twice. In the same day... Strange!!
the same thing is annoying to me! people crowding you in line. maybe they just want to be near you because you look so nice and friendly Tina!
I so agree with you! Honestly, here in Denmark, in the North, people are naturally reserved and they keep their distance (except when driving!), so I have never needed to tell anyone off.
But when I lived in NC I think I had to tell the poeple standing behind me on several occasions to "Step back please!"
I am VERY particular about my personal space and I hate when I can feel strangers crossing it, it makes me truly mad!
Maybe you can do as P has suggested to me; step backwards and step all over their feet and then look back with a smile and apologize by saying "I am sorry, I had no idea someone was standing THAT CLOSE to me!";)))
I have to agree with Doreen above - maybe people are just attracted by your charm and want to get closer...;) Or maybe you should really blame your perfume for that?!:P
Oh dear, invasion of personal space is a huge problem here in Guatemala. At bank lines (especially), and in elevators, when I can even get a little bit claustrophobic. Why do they have to almost step on you, or crowd you with their huge backpack, when they can put it on the floor out of simple good manners?! When this swine influenza situation going on, I'm even more...how should I put it?...concern? about personal space. Today I skipped a not so crowded elevator just to avoid being in close contact with people in a small space.
I don't think I am entitled to personal space anymore,lol. After going to Disney, you loose that & everyone invaids your space weather you are waiting for a ride, or to use the bathroom. It does not bother me to much anymore. I figure some people can not see, so thats why they are ontop of me,lol. Hope you had a nice weekend :)
oy vey! i hate it when people enter my zone! sheesh. you'd think they'd feel the repelling molecules bouncing off of them. i mean don't they have a built in sensor or something? that guy sounds incredibly rude!
~Rosemary,
What a brilliant idea!! I could have used a protective hula hoop device on Monday, most definitely. Usually, personal space isn't a problem for me--but that day in the shops was just strange...
~Amanda,
Hula Hoops...hoop skirts...hmmm..
~Doreen,
Glad to know I am not the only one who gets bothered by this from time to time. And, what a nice thing to say, but hnestly, I know the man was in hurry(and rude) and just saw me as an obstacle in his way, and the lady at the deli...who knows?
~Zuzana,l
So it isn't only an American thing, with wanting to keep a little distance in a public place.
I like P's advice in those "situations" and would love to have the nerve to do that, really!! ;-)
~~Vessie,
Well, I don't think that was the reason, but like Doreen, you are so sweet to think that was the reason. :-)
~~Claudia,
Ah, so that is the way it normally is in your country--I think I could get used to it somewhat(I have been in cities and on crowded subways and busses before, plenty of times), but with this flu scare, I can see how it can be beyond a mere annoyance for you now. Take care, my friend.
~~RoseAnn,
That is probably the number one reason why I have never wanted to go to Disney--I can't stand waiting in line for everything(and I have heard the lines are generally long)
~~C.K.,
Oy Vey, indeed..! :-)
Yeah, rushed people can be SO rude. The other person--the lady at the deli--didn't bother me as much, now that I think of it.
Post a Comment