Sunday, April 26, 2009

Good Things, "Last Sunday in April Edition"

"It isn't the big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones." — Jean Webster


Things that made me happy,
--made me smile...
............this weekend.

*beagles (I can't not smile whenever I see a beagle with it's white flag of a tail waving, and it's total doggie cuteness --even better when I see one, ears flapping in the wind, hanging it's head out of a car window)

*little boys(or girls) walking around with capes and/or cowboy hats

*the sight of my dog sleeping in the sun on the back deck, looking like a tired old hound dog

*kites flying over the beach

*Sipping chilled Bellinis on the back deck on the first truly warm(make that hot) day of the year


* walking barefoot in the grass for the first time this season

* Jewel zooming across the wet beach sand along the water's edge

* a tan(!)line I discovered when I stripped down for a shower (it was sunny all weekend and reached a high of 88*F/31*C)

* the smell and taste of a perfect, greasy clamcake, sitting by the ocean

* Jewel lying beside me on the blanket I spread out under the pine tree when I was reading a book--so right and so comforting.

* "One Pair Of Hands" by Monica Dickens made me smile to myself all throughout the book. I just re-read it for the second time over the weekend (and sometimes outside, lying on a blanket under a pine tree with a close canine companion). She was the great granddaughter of Charles Dickens and an excellent writer(so funny and had a way with words-definitely a family inheritance) and wrote several books throughout her long life(I think she passed away in the 90's). This one is a description of her experiences as a "cook-general" for hire back in the 1930's. It is the kind of book that was so much fun and I wanted to read aloud so many parts to whomever was nearby.





6 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Lovely post. I can picture it. Glad you were able to spend time outside reading...

Had a lazy warm day here too. Got to hang my laundry out to dry! (I love that).

Also - wanted to make sure you knew I left you a gift at my blog.

Zuzana said...

I recognize the joy of tan lines.;)) I am also loosing that pale complexion after two days full of sunshine.;) Glad you had a lovely weekend and that so many things made you happy.;) I am hoping this will stretch long into the week.
xoxo
Z

Gal Friday said...

Only,
Yes, it was a pretty good two days off and most of it spent outside.
You inspired me--have a load of laundry(sheets) in the washer now, and will hang them out before I leave for work.

Oh..I saw the award and I am the one who is not worthy. I almost don't know what to say(that was so nice what you said at yur blog and now I want to have tons more time in my week so I can visit those other blogs). I am overdue to acknowledge a few bloggers who have decided to give me an "award" and will do that...very soon.

~Zuzana,
I hope the happiness trend(and weather--it looks promising for a sunny week) lasts through this week, too. Thank goodness we are losing some of our winter white "doughiness"!! :-)

j said...

LOVE this post, Tina! I had to look up what a Bellini, and now I definitely have to make one. After bragging about my California weather, it's now cold and windy. GRRRR! But when it warms back up... Bellinis for sure!

sallymandy said...

Thanks! I love these posts about details of your life. Bellinis--peach something and champagne? Delish. I was also very interested in Monica Dickens. I've never heard of her.

I'm glad it's finally warm where you are, and your post made me want to go to the ocean. Enjoy it for me, okay?

I appreciated your kind comment earlier today.

vdesheva said...

Reading this post made me feel sooo good!!!:) Thank you for making my day!!!:) *hugs*