Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974

"Still scary after all these years..."
I had this site in my massive Favorites list on the old computer, and always meant to share this wickedly funny site here and just thought of doing it today. It was easy enough finding it again(makes me think I shouldn't bother with a Favorites list because I save everything and then eventually forget about it, anyway).

I guarantee you that you will laugh hysterically at these unappetizing photos of "diet foods" from the 70's and the accompanying commentary from the astute Wendy McClure(who even published a book based on this collection of vintage Weight Watcher;s recipe cards). I have scrolled through these a few times now, and it still brings tears to my eyes from laughing so hard.

So, take the tour, won't you? You won't regret it(and will be thankful that these kinds of nasty food concoctions are a thing of the past)

15 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

ok, i haven't clicked on the link yet, but jellied tomato anything makes me want to hurl. ewwww.

The Social Frog said...

Oh...The AMUSEMENT! That was funny, made me smile and laugh. Such nasty, weird stuff,lol.

Clare said...

Brilliant! Fluffy Mackerel Pudding. Utterly ridiculous. If I made this for my dh he would think I had lost my mind.

cessie said...

It shows so much how people had a different thinking at that time...so interesting to see!
I'm not that much interested in history books but I *am* interested in how people thought and felt in earlier generations.
Thanks for sharing!

j said...

Must... eat... onion... sauce! Definitely worth of "And Now For Something Completely Different..."

Thank you, Tina!

Content in a Cottage said...

Thanks for so many great laughs. Thanks for finding this and sharing. Hilarious. Tell R to enjoy being on summer vacation. Have you mastered the "new" computer yet? It is so hard to transfer all the things you've saved on the old one. Good luck. ♥Rosemary

Jack said...

Oh my! I'm pretty sure I would have starved if those were my food options... Yuck!

Thanks for the laugh this evening. I need it :)

Claus said...

Finally! I've been trying to post a comment, but was not able to. That Internet Explorer 8 has security features that have been giving me a headache.

I visited the "retro" weight watchers tour and...yuck!!! liver and all sorts of meats for a "healthy meal". Well, I'm not a meat person so I found most of these dishes not appealing, to put it nicely ;-) Had a laugh though with the clever descriptions and comments! Makes your wonder who did Weight Watches hired as photographer? The displays were simply terrible.

Thanks for the retro/laugh link :-))

Anastasia Marou said...

1. Cabbage Casserole Czarina - not bad! I bet Russians love this dish! Perestroika or Not?
2. Chicken Liver? Hmmm...I don't like it!
3. Fish Balls...sound big and yummy! Thanks for the fisherman's tip.
4. Fluffy Mackerel Pudding? Yuk and yuk and yuk!
5.Hot Wrap-ups ...hmm let's sum up: lettuce, pickles,capers,lime,parsley..I love it!
6.Sherry Quenchers??? YUK! I'd rather have a Grand Marnier with crushed ice.
7. Roast Chicken Italian Style - the all-time classic. Yummy! Yummy!
8.Polynesian Snack... is for to eat with hand? No is for to eat canned sprout by Americans ! heh heh heh! Me are Polynesian ...you is American ? LOL !

Zuzana said...

Hello Tina, I am back trying to catch up on your posts.;)
Ah, I have to check that site out.;) But to be honest, the first picture looks appealing to me.;)) Hehe.;))
xo

Gal Friday said...

c.k.,
And I thought one one of the beeter looking "snacks".

~RoseAnn,
Weight Watcher's recipes are MUCH better now(I saved a few from the newspaper and use them from time to time)

~Clare,
Ugh, the FMP sounds like the worst, least edible one in the pack!

~Cessie,
I actually have some older cookbooks, and it is true that the outdated recipes fascinate me, too. But then, there are some foods that never go out of style--like apple pie and mashed potatoes....


~~I am glad you liked the "tour", Judy!

~Rosemary,
Glad you enjoyed the "tour" as well. Rachel is so far enjoying her freedom(and sleeping late each morning).
As for the computer--yes, it is like starting from scratch, and I have yet to reinstall my camera program, so there is nothing in my pohotos file yet(and I lost EVERYTHING in my old file).

~ Jack,
It's true--there was maybe one thing that I might have eaten out of the whole wacky recipe collection.

~Claudia,
With you being a vegetarian, the meals must have been especially horrific to look at. Yes, those displays were deadly and make the the 70's look like a bad decade, don't they?

~Anastasia,
Yes, I would LOVE a Grand Marnier with ice, now that you have mentioned it!! Your comments made me laugh--thanks, as always, for the visit. :-)

~Zuzana,
Hooray!--Ms. Protege is BACK!
I now remember you once saying that there is little you won't eat--you must be the least "picky" eater on this planet. That is a good thing...(but did you look at some of those foods??!)

Gal Friday said...

c.k.,
And I thought one one of the beeter looking "snacks".

Let's try that again:
I meant to write, "I thought it was one of the BETTER looking snacks.."

Unknown said...

boy, those did look bad! the bean and something (can't remember) looked like worms!!

Anastasia Marou said...

Tina, Grand Marnier is the best invention the French have ever made!Try it straight or with crushed ice after a copious meal and within an hour you'll feel as if you haven't eaten anything at all.

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia,
I am going to get a bottle of Grand Marnier later today, after your recommendation. It'll be good to have in the house, too, for adding to Sangria this summer.