Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Treasured Tuesday


As Mr. F 's last day of school is tomorrow and R's is Thursday, this was my last Tuesday off (my day off always, during the work week) that I had to myself (until after Labor day, that is...).

In spite of the continuing oppressive gloom(lights on again in the house because it is so dark all day long!)and woke up yet again with a dull headache because of the low pressure, I have had a pretty good day-slightly indulgent and slow and easy-going--just how I like my days off to myself.
While I never got far with my intended project of cleaning up the desk and all my "piles" in the spare room, I did....

do two loads of laundry,

walked the dog twice(once in the mist and once under almost sunny skies),

got over to the vet's to buy a five month supply of heart worm tabs for the dog,

scooted into the market for eggs and dog kibble and plum tomatoes,

and prepared a meal of slow-cooked chicken thighs in the Crock Pot for tacos.

The indulgence part was ...

catching up with some blogs this morning,

roaming the aisles of
Job Lot(where you can always find something you didn't know you needed at a good price),

and having a nice lunch of lobster bisque (although it would have been perfect with oyster crackers which we didn't have , and would have been better without the stale Ritz crackers I DID have in the cupboard) once I got home. I found these
"Bar Harbor" brand from Maine cans of prepared Lobster Bisque and Crab Bisque at Job Lot. See? I didn't know before I went in there that I wanted- needed-cans of prepared creamy seafood soups.

My other indulgences--really only having to talk to the dog all day,
sipping a relaxed cup of tea and just staring out the window,
and having NPR radio on all day in the house as I putzed around.
From here on in for the summer with the "other" people around, there will be other noises and voices, so most likely I can't have that(NPR)on all day and be alone with my own interrupted thoughts.
Not that I mind having those "other" favorite people around--it is entirely different, though, when they are home every day. And, me being an introvert and perfectly happy being on my own and in my own brain , this is entirely normal to me, to feel this way.
At any rate, R is home now, and I will sit down and have a cup of tea and a few Almond Cinnamon cookies with her now.

10 comments:

cessie said...

Sounds like you truly enjoyed your 'last' day on your own ;-). Until I read your blog entry of today, I hadn't even noticed it was Tuesday since I had a sick day yesterday and worked today instead haha. And now I thought Oh yeah, it's Tuesday lol.

I *know* it's bizarre how often intended projects never get realised on the planned day ;-). But I guess you did have a splendid day instead. Loved reading about your indulgences...it almost felt I was there!

cheatymoon said...

Sounds like a lovely day. I had a similar day -- my first day off and on my own. :-)
NPR on all day sounds like a great idea.

cheatymoon said...

Oh, and I wish I had gone to Job Lot over the weekend. I forgot!

Jack said...

We don't have "job lot" here in eastern Canada... possibly not at all in Canada. Is it like a Costco?

Sounds like you had a lovely day. I really enjoy days just like that :)

Gal Friday said...

Cessie,
Looking over what I write about my day...I guess I live a very small, dull life, but I am pretty content with it. Oh well...
I'll get to my "piles" and the desk mess, eventually, too. :-)

Erin,
I am happy to hear you had your first day off (of many to come) today!!
I can't get much done in the house with music on, I have learned(I get too distracted and keyed up), so feeding my head with NPR talk works for me.
Did you get to Trader Joe's, though, while you were in MA?? (I need to get up to the nearest one some time soon, myself..)

Hey, Jack,
"Job Lot" is an 'odd lots' discount place(began in Rhode Island and has spread to a few locations now all over New Englnad, but not Maine, apparently)--maybe you have Big Lots or something similar in the Maritimes??(see now...I don't know what a "Costco" is because we don't have one of those...heh..heh..)

cheatymoon said...

Tina - I did make it to Trader Joe's in Hanover, MA. Costco is like BJs or Sam's. It's a warehouse sort of place.

creative kerfuffle said...

i so get what you mean about enjoying your time alone. before the kids were out for the summer i had most of the day to myself for the first time.ever. it was so peaceful. i didn't turn on the tv. and, as much as i love music, i rarely played a cd. it was just me and my thoughts and whatever task i was involved in at the time. i love times like that.

Manders said...

Your day sounds wonderful! One of the reasons I get up so early in the morning is to have that alone with my thoughts kind of feeling! I need that, too!

Zuzana said...

I think your day off sounds like a perfect day for me; I too find incredible pleasure with being on my own in a quiet house, just looking out of the window.;))
xo

Gal Friday said...

~Erin,
Since it is crappy and gloomy out again(!) today, we are making a family pilgrimage later on to...Trader Joe's!

~c.k.,
It is SO nice to have unintterupted thoughts when alone in the house, insn't it? Now that "they" are home, the TV is on during the day(lots of Weather Channel and M.Jackson news..*sigh*)

~Amanda,
Yup..so you know that feeling, too. I used to get up very early myself, when R was young, just to sit and enjoy a morning cup pf coffee in peace and get ready for the day ahead.


~Zuzana,
Oh, yes, and you sometimes have the amazing photos from out your windows, too!!