This segment(video below) that I caught the other day when it aired on TV around here has been on my mind. Only a few years ago, I had started to learn of certain neighborhoods and communities(in the USA--somehow I think this is not such an issue in other places around the world) where it was dictated to the homeowners as to what they could and could not keep in their own yards. I am not talking about a full-fledged petting zoo or a backyard factory. I mean supposedly unsightly things like a boat or too many yard ornaments or...a clothesline with drying clothes!
First of all, I would hate to live anywhere where I had rules as to what was deemed appropriate to keep on my own property. But the thought that a clothesline was offensive to anyone was downright strange to me. In these times, especially, when we all should be trying to save energy--hanging clothes out to dry is a natural! I, personally, think it is a happy sight to behold.
One of my earliest memories is of my mother hanging out our freshly laundered clothing and sheets on a long clothesline in our yard. It seemed everyone, also, had a clothesline, or one of those roatating self standing clothes dryers.
And one of life's simple pleasures is the smell of dried laundry--to sleep on sheets that were hung out to dry in the sun and breeze all day is heaven.
While my mother was a die-hard when it came to avoiding using the dryer and hanging out the clothes instead--I used to whine when as a teen I had to go out in winter and freeze my hands when taking down the "crispy" and semi-frozen(almost dry, though) laundry off the line--I have to admit to becoming lazier about hanging out my own laundry. It is always easier and quicker for me to simply pop the wet clothing into our dryer, especially in winter. Once the warmer months arrive, though, I do try to take advantage of a sunny and dry day to hang out our laundry(it works out better if it is a day I am not at work and am at home long enough to maybe get two separate loads hung out that day).
And I want to try to make more of an effort to do this more often. And I certainly would hate for the simple "right to dry" taken away from me. I guess more and more people are feeling the same way, as there are now actual "movements" to ensure that communities don't impose clothes drying bans.
Watch the video--the snooty woman in the sunglasses complaining about having to look at her neighbor's clothesline(oh! the horror of it all!) is so ugly and selfish to me. I would not want to ever move into a neighborhood with her.
Watch CBS Videos Online
17 comments:
My 16 year old daughter watched this video with me and exclaimed... "What! Mom that is crazy!".
I could not imagine living in a neighborhood that would ban hanging laundry out to dry. In the summer, my cloths are hanging our at least once, sometimes twice a week. I wonder what my non-clothesline neighbors think of me?
Thanks for sharing that video today :)
I love the feeling of air dried clothing! I think they're on the right track with that. If more people dried their clothes on lines, we would not need the super high electricity bills that go with doing the laundry (and other things!)
She ought to look the other way if she finds clean laundry hung on a clothes line offensive.
People need to relax a little in my opinion. It just goes to show that freedom of speech can be damaging at times and not always a good thing.
I love hanging my clothes out. I once lived on an Air Force base where it was banned. We were also required to water our lawns frequently so that they were green. In a semi-arid place. My ex would get written up if the yard rules weren't followed...
Oops, that happened a few times.
New sub-divisions in Ontario often had clauses forbidding the use of outside clothes lines. However, with the energy crunch the government has stepped in to say that clothes lines are fine.
My gosh, if that was a rule here, the entire country - Guatemala - would be banned!! The use of dryers is very little in this country, and one would probably see those machines only in apartment buildings, where there is actually no space for every apartment to have a clothline. Every house, on the other hand, and in their backyards/patios/gardens, has a clothline, as it's been the drying method for ages. It does feel kind of good to be a country that helps the environment in that way :-)
What a funny/weird rule in neighborhoods in the USA. It's rather vain, don't you think?
my Mom always hung the clothes out to dry on the line, during the warmer months. we didn't even have a dryer, in the winter she would hang them in the porch on lines, then do lots of ironing. there is a smell of freshness you will not get with a dryer!
to do as you want with your yard and such you must live in the country I believe, away from most people.
Oh, I got stuck on your page since my coffee break, but now I have some time to comment.:;))
I have to be honest and say that I am divided on this issue. Part of me understands the problems people have with seeing clothes hanging outside houses as it can often look untidy. Here in Denmark there are similar policies, but they apply to the "front" of the house. The state here greatly encourages people to use natural air to "air dry" laundry. But, in difference to American houses, we have backyards. Private, fenced and secluded properties that no one see from the outside, perfect to use for drying ones laundry.;))) There is nothing like the scent of fresh washed linen that has been dried in the sun.;))
Tina...I saw that segment on Sunday Morning this week. Why would anyone want to live in a clothes-line-restricted community?
Your post is especially fitting for me since I JUST got finished hanging out a dark load. The sky is dark one minute and the sun comes out the next. I think it will be fine because of the nice breeze today. I recently got a treasure trove of old clothes pins at a garage sale. I was soooo happy. ♥Rosemary
I hang laundry too, when I have time, in the backyard. I love the way it looks. I have no idea if I'm allowed to hang it out front. I assume so, but I actually don't know for sure.
I once lived in a neighborhood where the homeowners' association had a list of acceptable color combinations for painting your house, and (I kid you not) appropriate colors for the window treatments on any window that faced the street.
I know! Yikes! Very Stepford Wives-ish.
one of my grandmas used to have a clothesline in the backyard and used it all the time. i remember that hung-on-the-line scent very well. i also think it is insane some of the things neighborhoods forbid, really? it's my house/my yard.
Wow, what will people think of next? Old saggy clotheslines are kind of yucky to look at, but so what...? What's more important? I agree with you, Tina. e
Amazing! Some people should spend their free time reading a book instead of looking into other's people's yards.
Growing up in an apt in NJ we never had a clothes dryer, but 2 lines off of the second floor back porch that went out to a telephone pole where 5 other apts each had two lines of their own. It was spectacular when everyone had wash drying outdoors. That woman is what is wrong with our world, not to mention her visage caused me to have a small aesthetic crisis. She looked like someone who needed to be roughed up by cousin vin and some concertina wire...and i recently read that studies have shown that in an autopsy a botox user will show traces of botox that has traveled from the face directly into the brain...that could be her problem...lol How have you been Tina? Ive moved over to facebook mostly. Ill need to email you soon to catch up. Hope you are having a wonderful summer.
Great post!
I do live in a subdivision where the items visible from the street are largely restricted. I have my clothesline jerry-rigged on my deck because I always wanted one and I suspect it is not allowed (but I never did check.)
Hopefully as the cultural pendulum swings back toward common sense, clotheslines with their fresh laundry flapping happily in the breeze will become a common sight again!
Hey, All...
..I REALLY enjoyed the feedback on this, and your own views from wherever you live on outdoor clothes-drying.
Wow...I was amazed with this right to dry entry. We do have ridiculous rules here, but no such thing ;-).
I do remember that as a child when we moved to another region where religion was more strict they were not too happy when I would walk in my bikinis in our backyard ;-). But that's about it I guess as far as backyards go. We cannot cut bigger trees in our gardens without permission though, or build a veranda or dormers etc. without permission.
I love the smell of air dried sheets as well....it's great!
Post a Comment