I am talking about those "wife carrying" races(usually in Finland) which I have been hearing/reading about in the news in the last few years. This couples "event" began in Finland and there is a whole Wikipedia page devoted to the sport. (Yes, I had to look it up.)
Apparently it all started as a joke, but has it's roots in the past when men actually did take off with women from neighboring villages to be their wives. Er, a charming tradition. Not!
*The wife to be carried may be your own, the neighbor's, or you may have found her further afield; she must, however, be over 17 years of age
*The minimum weight of the wife to be carried is 49 kilograms. If she is less than 49 kg, the wife will be burdened with a rucksack containing additional weight such that the total load to be carried is no less than 49 kg.
*All participants must have fun
And, now it seems this unusual athletic event has shown up here in various places in North America, including in Maine, at the Sunday River Resort in Newry. I don't know if they use the same rules and guidelines as put forth by the Finns, though. ;-)
(from The Heart Of New England, September 2009) "Don't miss the 10th Annual North American "Wife Carrying Championships at Sunday River resort in Newry, Maine on Saturday, October 10 at 11 a.m.
Couples navigate a 278-yard obstacle course while the man literally "carries" the woman. Women are allowed to carry men, which occurred for the first time in 2005. The carrying style is the competitors’ choice, though most use the “Estonian carry” where the wife holds her husband around the waist and tightens her legs around his neck, thereby freeing the husband’s hands.
The winners of the of the Wife Carrying Championship will receive five times the wife’s weight in cash and the traditional prize of the wife’s weight in beer. Prizes are also awarded to second and third place finishers, as well as for special weight and age categories."
I was laughing when I read about the prizes--"five times the wife's weight in cash(!) and also her weight in beer"(!!!).
There is a video of the event on the the Sunday River website. It all looks very intense and serious, actually, with the couples in athletic clothing and looking all fit. They must train all summer for this! Of course, the video is even better when you can Benny Hillifier it!
I just have to add this, too-- at the end of the Wiki page I noticed more links to other "sporting" events, including wok racing, bog snorkelling and ....cheese rolling! Bet you don't even need to be married to enter those competitions.
11 comments:
We all have fun in very different ways. That adds spice to life! :-0
Ah, I would like to return today here, in my comment, the same admiration, that you left on mine.;)) This was very amusing piece of information!;) Even though I live in Scandinavia, I seem to have missed this sport completely.
Imagine that! I know what you mean about being a spectator at such an event. Now I am off to follow all the links you left, as I sure want to see some footage.;))
Btw, in return to the extremely exciting link you left for me today (I really enjoyed reading it), I would like to bring your attention to the Highland Games that take place in Scotland, I think you might get a kick out of them (unless you are of course familiar with these already; hehe):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_games
I hope you are enjoying *your* day.;))
xoxo
Zuzana
:-)
Really fun, Tina. I love that neck of the woods - we did an awesome hike there.
:-)
Hi Tina!
I heard about this years ago and thought it to be very amusing really and there is so much "history" as well as rules to this fun game!
*All participants must have fun*
What a rule! :-)) The things they come up with to have the community involved and have a little activity out of the ordinary. I think it's good, don't you? The prizes though...I guess they are just as "unique" as the competitions.
I can't stop laughing at this! I told Chad and he couldn't decide whether it's better to have a bigger wife so you win more beer, or a lighter wife so you... win. So funny! Thank you for posting!
~Sandra,
I agree--I find even silly things like this inspiring.
~Ms. Protege,
I am somewhat familiar with the Highland Games--there is a festival in May around here, that tries to simulate the "real" Scottish version. I will certainly go and read up on it, following the link, since I would love to one day go to this event, too(and it would be the BEST to be able to go to Scotland for it!)
Now..I wonder if there any Viking-themed events/festivals that you know of from where you live?
~Manders,
Yep. :-)
~Only,
It makes me want to get up there to anywhere in Maine this fall...but don't know if will happen. Our schedule is loaded every weekend until after Halloween so far.
~
~
~RoseAnn,
I never realised, though, until I read the newsletter that there are No. American version...and noted also, that the winning couple at the Sunday River event were from Augusta(yay!)
~Claudia,
Now, don't you just love that "must have fun" rule. :-)
~Judy,
I thought the very same thing!
And, I wish I could have seen a reverse couple competing on the video--a woman carrying a man.
This would be hilarious. Just think of all the fun you'd get out of it win or lose.
The cheese tradition I knew about because they show it on the news whenever it's done.
I say good on them for their unusual sport. These people enjoy living and they do it in the most entertaining way.
i could probably do the cheese rolling, that's about it! LOL who knew?
Post a Comment