Thursday, October 29, 2009

Owl O' Lantern

This is what my daughter and I were up to last night.
An owl--that kind of also looks like a panda mixed with a Pikachu-- made out of a white pumpkin and sunflower seeds(around eyes and for tufts and little talons).
No, I did not think this up on my own--we saw this in a Family Circle magazine.
Too cute, huh??
Got out the glue gun and pumpkin carving tools, spent a little time together that was like it always was before this teenage thing. So that was really nice.
She even gave up Facebook and Glee for the night to do this.

Tonight, we finally toasted the seeds from the pumpkin and I forgot just how delicious warm and toasted-straight from the oven-pumpkins seeds are.

I am getting a little more excited for Halloween and enjoying this time of year. It's been appropriately darkly spooky and blustery out lately. Leaves swirling through the air and all over the ground. And when I went outside this evening, it smelled like Halloween with that cold, dried leaves-on-the-ground scent and some one's wood stove going in the neighborhood.

I just hope it'll be like that on Halloween itself, and not freakishly warm and almost tropical like it has been on a few recent Halloweens around here. Now that's scary--a Global Warming Halloween. (I remember two years ago on a mild Halloween night, we found people sitting outside in lawn chairs like it was a summer evening, handing out the candy.)
And now...for a little pumpkin-ish Blogthang:



You Are a Yellow Pumpkin



You are funky, fun loving, and outgoing. You embrace your weirdness, and others truly appreciate your quirks.

You believe that life's too short to be insecure. You're comfortable in your own flawed skin, and you encourage others to be the same way.



You are always noticing the fun little details in life that everyone else ignores. Even if you aren't an artist, you have an artist's eye.

You have a flair for finding hidden gems. You always have a new restaurant, band, or movie to suggest to your friends.


(**This result fits me..somewhat, but I am definitely not outgoing.)

14 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Really cute. Have a great weekend, Tina!

Joanne said...

Very cute pumpkin indeed! It's supposed to be mid-60s (!) and drizzly Halloween night here. I remember those mild Halloweens, definitely prefer the cold, chilly nights!

Unknown said...

that is a cool pumpkin!! I don't think I have seen a white one before.

I am a yellow pumpkin also...... :-)

thanks for your comment on my photo. (wordless wednesday - fish story)

Manders said...

You Are a Yellow Pumpkin
You are funky, fun loving, and outgoing. You embrace your weirdness, and others truly appreciate your quirks.
You believe that life's too short to be insecure. You're comfortable in your own flawed skin, and you encourage others to be the same way.

You are always noticing the fun little details in life that everyone else ignores. Even if you aren't an artist, you have an artist's eye.
You have a flair for finding hidden gems. You always have a new restaurant, band, or movie to suggest to your friends.

Claus said...

... and not freakishly warm and almost tropical like it has been on a few recent Halloweens around here
Well...I KNOW you wouldn't like our Halloweens down here then :-)) though it's been rather cool, and somewhat chilly in Guatemalan weather terms ;-) the last few nights, so maybe a Halloween "north style" this year? I just hope we get trick-or-treaters!!!

Lovely owl! Very detailed and unique. Question: What do you do with it after Halloween? Always been curious about that.

SandraG said...

I haven't seen a white pumpkin before. Cool!

Jack said...

Oh, I love it! I love roasted pumpkin seeds too... yummy!

I have three pumpkins to carve tonight. My mom gave the kids each a pumpkin but the older two are too busy with work and school to carve theirs and my youngest is down with the flu, so that leaves me to carve all three. I'm thinking I will just carve "B O O" and be done with it.

Anastasia Marou said...

What a great work of art this is! It seems to me that Miss R has inherited a lot of your talent. Did you know that in Cyprus people used to carve and paint pumpkins in which they kept red wine?

Here's the verdict of the blogthing. So it seems I'm as rare as a blue pumpkin! :-)

You Are a Blue Pumpkin
You are unique, fascinating, and even a bit mysterious. There's not a lot of people like you around.
You believe life's too short to not seize the moment. You embrace every opportunity and live each day like it's your last.

You are playful and energetic. After a hard day of work, the last thing you want to do is lay around.
You love to get your heart racing, and it's hard for you to say no to an exciting or interesting invitation.

Kate said...

That's a great pumpkin! And I'm sure making that with you will be one of her fond memories in years to come :) Happy Halloween!

Content in a Cottage said...

I've never seen a white pumpkin either. She's beautiful! Glad you and R are still enjoying the traditions of this fun holiday. Trick or Treat...Money or Eats? I seem to remember that from the far reaches of my brain. Have a fun weekend. ♥Rosemary

Zuzana said...

What an absolutely marvelous and beautiful pumpkin! So very artistic, LOVE it!;)
I took the test and I am a *blue pumpkin*.;) Did not know they had those kind.;)
"You are unique, fascinating, and even a bit mysterious. There's not a lot of people like you around.
You believe life's too short to not seize the moment. You embrace every opportunity and live each day like it's your last..."
Have a great Halloween.;)
xo
Zuzana

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it.So cute.What fun to share making it with your daughter.


Cant believe she gave up facebook to do that though,lol.I have 2 daughters.

Now im off to take the test, be right back.

Anonymous said...

I originally posted this on wrong blog.LOL.Oh ordinary me,lol






You Are an Orange Pumpkin
You are a bit average and ordinary, but that's a good thing. People appreciate you for who you are.
You believe life's too short to not forgive and forget. You try to let the small stuff slide and focus on what's important.

You appreciate the ordinary things that most people ignore - good friends, a warm home, a tasty meal.
There's so much to be thankful for in your life that you would feel wrong to complain too much!

Ugh a do complain a bit though,lol

cessie said...

Wow, so creative! It looks awesome. And I like it that's a little different than the usual carved pumpkins. And so good you could enjoy this doing together :-).
I just hope your Halloween was perfect this year!
I was thinking of you all there on the other side of the world :-))