Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Teri, A 13th Tale and a Blogthing







You Are a Pumpkin Latte



You are a total homebody. You love the fall because it gives you an excuse to stay home a little more often and be cozy.

Fall is your favorite time to cook a pie, read a good book, or watch your favorite movie.



You're the type who prefers handing out candy at Halloween and hosting Thanksgiving at your place.

You have a lot of different autumn activities, and they all take place inside the comfort of your home.



I have been in blah-blogging mode the last few days and will eventually come around and visit my favorite blogs again. In the meantime, a Blogthing(of course). I could really go for a pumpkin latte instead of this old(brewed at 6:15 this morning) coffee I am sipping now.

And, yes, I have been a homebody pretty much since the weekend--have been doing some more domestic stuff around the house, some recreational shopping (ended up, however, buying stuff for R mostly), and getting completely wrapped up in this book-- Diane Setterfield's "The Thirteenth Tale" which is the chosen book for discussion when my book club meets this Friday. It took me a while to get started on it. Mostly because I was at first torn between reading it and diving into the Teri Garr memoir from 2005(which I picked up for 3 bucks at Walden's when I went to buy the Setterfield novel) called "Speedbumps: Flooring It Through Hollywood"(love her, miss her, actually in today's movies, and the memoir is laced throughout with her quirky humor).

I finally finished "The Thirteenth Tale " last night. Now, that was one thumping good read!
From Amazon:
Reclusive author Vida Winter, famous for her collection of twelve enchanting stories, has spent the past six decades penning a series of alternate lives for herself. Now old and ailing, she is ready to reveal the truth about her extraordinary existence and the violent and tragic past she has kept secret for so long. Calling on Margaret Lea, a young biographer troubled by her own painful history, Vida disinters the life she meant to bury for good. Margaret is mesmerized by the author's tale of gothic strangeness -- featuring the beautiful and willful Isabelle, the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline, a ghost, a governess,a topiary garden and a devastating fire. Together, Margaret and Vida confront the ghosts that have haunted them while becoming, finally, transformed by the truth themselves.
Sounds good, doesn''t it? It was totally my kind of book--full of secrets, an isolated house on the Yorkshire moors, a ghost(?), madness, books ...I was completely enthralled by the story once I got into it a few chapters in.
But now, I can get back to Speedbumps. And maybe rereading Gene Wilder's memoir...and maybe a close-to-Halloween re-viewing(for what? the 12th time?!) of Young Frankenstein.




16 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

The thirteenth tale does sound like a good book.

I love Teri Garr. I had no idea that she had written a biography. One of the best biographies I've read, believe it or not, is Story
Telling by Tori Spelling. It really was very good. Now, I'd like to read her mom's book. Lots of tension between those two.

Enjoy the rest of your week and go get a latte. :0

Manders said...

I have been in a blogging blah mode as well. Perhaps it is the weather...Whatever it is, I am sure I will come around again!!

I LOVE pumpkin spice lattes...So yummy...

Manders said...

You Are Carmel Apple Cider
You are a total charmer. You are smooth enough to put people at ease, and sweet enough to make them smile.
You dazzle people without even meaning to. You just try to be yourself, and that's always enough.

You are a naturally generous person. You go the extra mile for others, without even thinking about it or being asked.
You have an eye for detail, and you like to add that little finishing touch to meals, decorating, and your own personal style. Like the caramel in the apple cider!

Zuzana said...

Pumpkin latte sure sounds yummy.;)
And that description fits you.;)
The 13th Tale sounds so very much like something I would like to read, I have to tell P that is what I wish for our reading list next.;)
Enjoy your domestic existence, sounds really cosy.;)
xo

Claus said...

You Are a Hazelnut Latte
You are a quiet thinker. You like nothing better than an early fall morning when you're alone with your thoughts and your coffee.
As each day gets colder, you can't help but remember autumns past and reflect on your life a bit.


You love fall weather. A gray day is perfect for writing, reading, or just thinking... all activities you enjoy.
You like feeling warm and energized inside while the world is cold and quiet outside. It's the perfect contrast for you to feel inspired.


Huh! I did the test having that Autumn I have come up with, with the few changes Guatemala goes through aroung this time of year, so I guess I'm really into it! I'm actually now in the mood for some Hazelnut Latte!!

I have to see that Young Frankestein immediately! You are the second person who talks about it nicely, and since I have the Halloween switch turned on, I really want to see it. Must look for it somewhere.

Jodi said...

I am also a pumpkin latte, although, to be honest, I don't think I would like to drink one.

Anonymous said...

I'm hot chocolate... the description was something about being a kid at heart :) Glad you enjoyed "The Thirteenth Tale".... "a thumping good read" indeed!

Clare said...

I am mulled wine!
You Are Mulled Wine
You are a good friend. You love to gather with those who are dear to you, to catch up and drink lots of wine.
For you, fall means more dinners with friends and long nights by the fire. You love coming inside after the summer.

I love Teri Garr and you already know that you and I share a love of Young Frankenstein and Mr Wilder. I have not read his memoir. Why is that? hmmm



You enjoy making your home as comfortable as possible during the fall. You never know who might stop by for a warm drink or a piece of pie.
Your ultimate holiday, Thanksgiving, also arrives in the fall. Whether you're hosting or just bringing a dish, you love how everyone gets together during this time

Anastasia Marou said...

You Are Carmel Apple Cider
You are a total charmer. You are smooth enough to put people at ease, and sweet enough to make them smile.
You dazzle people without even meaning to. You just try to be yourself, and that's always enough.

You are a naturally generous person. You go the extra mile for others, without even thinking about it or being asked.
You have an eye for detail, and you like to add that little finishing touch to meals, decorating, and your own personal style. Like the caramel in the apple cider!

But I prefer hot apple tart with some vanilla ice cream! That's one good thing about autumn!


Random Quiz

Gal Friday said...

I noted that every single one of you who commented and took the quiz so far came up with such varied results!(and boy, does mine make me sound boring)

JarieLyn,
I am having some nice hot tea(Jasmine) right now--never got a chance to get a latte(should go to Starbucks soon becasue Pumpkin Lattes are a seasonal thing there..)

~Amanda,
Get Thee to a Starbucks--they MUST have those Pumpk. lattes now, right?

~Zuzana,
"The 13th Tale" would be wonderful read aloud(although some parts are of letters and diary pages, so might be a little tricky)--you'll have to tell me what your Irishman is reading to you currently(if that doesn't sound too nosy)

~Claus,
I hope you'll have a letter to quietly read over a cup of coffee soon(I posted one out to you Oct.1). :-)

Gal Friday said...

~Jodi,
Hey...at least there was SOMEONE else who got the same result as me!(even if you don't want to drink one)

~Hi Kate,
Oooh, so you had read the book already and liked it, too?! It was right up my alley(mystery, madness, ghosts, moors) and am glad my friend chose it for this month's read(might not have readi it otherwise). Speaking of "hot chocolate", do you remember how Margaret in the book was ALWAYS making hot cocoa? ;-)

~Clare,
Mulled Wine, aye? That sounds so cozy...
You should put the Wilder book on your Xmas gift/wish list("Kiss Me Like A Stranger" is the great title) and if the link works, there is an interview with the man on NPR here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4537395

~

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia,
Dazzling and generous--somehow that is very fitting for you!
I agree--any hot, baked apple dish at this time of year is wonderful(and better than any pumpkin dish by far)

cheatymoon said...

I agree that it is the beginning of hibernating season. I've been home a lot too, and happy about it.
I love your book reviews! I also like memoirs, and actually have been interested in reading that Tori Spelling book.
Have a great end of the week, T!

creative kerfuffle said...

that sounds like a great book. i might have to make a trip to the library : )and, i think it's funny how you did recreational shopping and bought mostly for r. i ALWAYS do that--go out shopping and end up spending money on the kids instead.
and i didn't take the test but i'd be the same drink as you---i never thought of loving fall because it gave me an excuse to be a homebody, but it is true.

cessie said...

I have been thinking about reading the thirteenth tale again and again and never did it lol. But now that *you* like it....
I love blogging...but am getting that blah mode as well because it just takes soo much energy and patience to blog *and* read blogs here. Either I don't have the time or I don't feel like that 'hassle'. And I just so enjoy reading all favourite blogs...why is it so hard! So yeah, I do know about the blogging blah mode lol. Glad to read your entries again though! It always makes me happy!

Anonymous said...

You are a quiet thinker. You like nothing better than an early fall morning when you're alone with your thoughts and your coffee.
As each day gets colder, you can't help but remember autumns past and reflect on your life a bit.

You love fall weather. A gray day is perfect for writing, reading, or just thinking... all activities you enjoy.
You like feeling warm and energized inside while the world is cold and quiet outside. It's the perfect contrast for you to feel inspired.


(Well I will say I love a lazy morning on a weekend, but not necessarily getting up THAT early...)