Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Randoms

Thought I would "officially" link up to the Random Tuesday Thoughts lady, since I have plenty of random thoughts for today.randomtuesday

Some very all-over-the-place random thoughts, in fact,
ruminations and a few jokes.

Let's start with the jokes, first(so I can have an excuse to use the laughing seal photo).

My grandmother was a very tough woman. She buried three husbands and two of them were just napping.
-Rita Rudner
****************
My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle. -Henny Youngman


A little more seriously now......

What does it say about a country when there is more of an outcry over a plan to insure universal health care to every citizen in a "supposedly" wealthy, First World country than when a it was decided to invade another country?

More thoughts....


Thelonious Monk. Such an awesome name. Too bad I can't listen to his music. Tried the other night. Had to turn it off, since it was making me feel anxious and jumpy.


I kind of feel the same way about veggie burgers. Great sounding idea--burgers without meat! But even though I have experimented with a few recipes--some with chick peas like a falafel(which I love), some with quinoa, some brown rice or a combination of these), they never come out tasting..fantastic. If anyone has a really good veggie burger recipe, please let me know!


I saw the trailer for the movie version of Where The Wild Things Are. Depressing. One of the "monsters" was talking like Tony Soprano. That book is as old as I am, and I have known that book all my life. The monsters don't talk--not to me, anyway(except maybe for that "Let the wild rumpus begin!" line), and I would never have thought if one of them did speak it would sound like a freakin' Soprano. I know...artistic license and all, but why did it have to be turned into a movie? Why???? How did Maurice Sendak allow this?


I have always wanted a pair of these:

Since the 80's, I have wanted these shoes(I used to have two pairs of plain black Doc Martens). So...out of curiosity the other day, I decided to see if I could find these black and white wingtip brogues online. Of course, I could! There they were--still being made by the Dr. Marten shoe/boot people. Maybe I will finally get me a pair for my big 50th birthday--it's either that or a greyhound. I always envisioned myself wearing these with somewhat baggy pinstriped trousers. Even better, maybe when I am 50, I'll be wearing these shoes and strutting down the street with a greyhound and a smaller dog named Jewel.

I just realized that I must have a thing for the combination of simple black and white. Two-tone shoes. White on black polka dots. Black and white stripes. Old black and white movies. And I love drawing with black ink on white paper.



A book I really want to get my hands on and read is David Byrne's "Bicycle Diaries".

From the David Byrne website:
"Since the early 1980s, David Byrne has been riding a bike as his principal means of transportation in New York City. Two decades ago, he discovered folding bikes and started taking them on tour. Byrne's choice was made out of convenience rather than political motivation, but the more cities he saw from his bicycle, the more he became hooked on this mode of transport and the sense of liberation it provided. Convinced that urban biking opens one's eyes to the inner workings and rhythms of a city's geography and population, Byrne began keeping a journal of his observations and insights.
An account of what he sees and whom he meets as he pedals through metropoles from Berlin to Buenos Aires, Istanbul to San Francisco, Manila to New York, Bicycle Diaries also records Byrne's thoughts on world music, urban planning, fashion, architecture, cultural dislocation, and much more, all conveyed with a highly personal mixture of humor, curiosity, and humility. Part travelogue, part journal, part photo album, Bicycle Diaries is an eye-opening celebration of seeing the world from the seat of a bike
."

Not only does this man sing, write and perform music(Talking Heads and beyond...), he's an artist, keeps an online journal--check out his website to see it all.

I wish I could bicycle around more, as a way of getting places--the store or to work. It seems not feasible with the lifestyle I am living now. Further out from the town where all the stores are and my place of work. A mother of a daughter whom I have to shepherd around quite a bit with all the after school activities. Cross-country practice every day, and having to get her friend/team mate home as well. Chamber singing group Monday evenings back at the school. I feel like I am bringing her EVERYWHERE these days, and I am kind of sick of my car, to be honest.


At the same time, I am so happy my kid is happy in her freshman year in high school. She is totally a "joiner" and really(so far, anyway) into the whole school spirit thing, while I was the complete opposite when I was in high school. I am a little amazed that she is my kid.

Now, if only she didn't have to be interested in a 17 year old boy(and he with her), and having some serious attitude with her parents(lately, it is pretty bad), things would be perfect.

One more random thought , I just thought of:
If I do ever get my greyhound, shall I name him Fenway or Thelonious?























22 comments:

Raven said...

Great jokes!!

I agree with you completely on the healthcare thing. It's ridiculous how much of an outcry we've heard over wanting to make sure everyone has insurance.

I've never found a veggie burger I like either. We eat turkey burgers here cuz they are so much healthier than beef. I feel bad for the turkeys though.

I didn't know they made a Where the Wild Things Are movie. Tony Soprano? That is depressing.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Funny jokes!

I agree with you and Raven on the whole healthcare issue.

I've never been a fan of veggie burgers - probably because I've never found quite the right recipe that actually tastes good. So sorry, I'm no help there! ;)

They made 'Where the Wild Things Are' into a movie?

When you get those shoes, you're so going to have to post a pic of you wearing them with baggy pinstriped trousers, a greyhound and a smaller dog named Jewel. ;)

Happy RTT! :)

~JarieLyn~ said...

I thought the jokes were cute and so is the photo of the seal. It's adorable.

Ditto on the black and white. I seem to love black and white together also. In fact, it's only been in the last year or so that I've mad a conscious effort to buy some other colors for my wardrobe.

I wish I was more of a bike rider. I'm more of a walker, but even that is minimal.

Have a great day.

One with many names said...

Great randomness!!! I always wanted doc martens too! I get so tired of running errands and spending half my day in the car.

Pseudo said...

"What does it say about a country when there is more of an outcry over a plan to insure universal health care to every citizen in a "supposedly" wealthy, First World country than when a it was decided to invade another country?"

Awesome.

SandraG said...

I am getting these blogs hours after they are posted for some reason - not that it matters much, I guess.

I think that someone needs to come up with a delicious veggie burger and that person will make a million dollars!

Cajoh said...

Great Randomness— like the jokes. Being a Talking Heads fan, I must say that David is quite prolific… but then again, any artist would be.

Claus said...

Not Thelonious! Fenway sounds better, even Monk, but not Thelonious...pretty please? :-))

Great jokes!! I got some good halloween ones I'll post in a couple of weeks.

Jodi said...

I have always wanted to adopt a greyhound. I have been told that while they like one good run a day, they are really quite lazy the rest of the time. I respect that in a dog.

I have some similar shoes to the ones you like. Well, they are black and white, at least. However, I kind of wish I had chosen white on black rather than black on white.

http://www.jodiferous.com/2006/01/the-blog-comes.html

Anastasia Marou said...

I thought I was running out of patience today...my Junior A are a bit lively this year. One girl and 9 boys!!! So, thanks for the good laugh at the end of a very long day! As for health care, in Cyprus anyone can visit any public hospital for free - with or without an appointment. You often have to wait long if you don't get an appointment. Private hospitals are super here , but they cost a fortune if you don't have an insurance. Our insurance covers hospitalization worldwide in both public and private hospitals...but dentists and eye doctors in the private sector are excepted! Now isn't that sad?

Keely said...

Fenway is easier to yell when he makes a break for it.

I'm Canadian, so I don't feel justified commenting on your health care comment, except that it was awesome ;)

cheatymoon said...

You do great random, Tina!!

Fenway is an excellent doggie name. I am contemplating a dog for early next year and already thinking names...

I have tried a few veggie burgers from the freezer and I have to say I love the Morningstar Farms Griller version. Delish. Don't like Boca or Amy's at all. I used to like the mix for Natures Burger...

I had a few pair of Doc Martens in the 80s and 90s. I say you should by a pair before 50. Why not?

Biting my tongue on health care - it's too raw for me right now...

Anonymous said...

Great blog Tina!As far as the veggie burgers yuck I have tasted them before I wish I had a recipe for them as well.lol@those men shoes haha. your funny, but somehow I think your not joking,LOL.The bicycle Diaries looks fgood to me, I will check that one out.Being that Im greek for this next comment I would name the greyhound Thelonious.:)Have a great rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way the veggie burger I tried was Morningstar farms.I saw it posted above I couldnt think of it.

Zuzana said...

Loved the jokes; at first I thought they were real statements.;) Had to laugh.;)
Those shoes; aren't they men's shoes? Or am I so totally way behind in fashion.;)
I like the sound of the book; it reminds me of a man that walked on a pilgrimage in Europe, all the way from France to Spain (Santiago de Compostela). It has since then been something I myself longed to do...
xo

vdesheva said...

I've always loved reading your random thoughts, Tina!!!:) The jokes were very funny and the book sounds like one I would enjoy reading as well!!!:)

Gal Friday said...

Oh yay! Loads of new visitors and comments here, as well as visits from my regular,
"always-appreciated-when-they-stop by" readers. Seems the RTT participants are a friendly bunch. I'll definitely need to get some more time to go off re-paying some visits and discover some new blogs...
And I am glad everyone seemed to like the "old school" jokes, too.

~Raven,
The whole isssue of healthcare and the way it is being fought against as some TERRIBLE thing makes me depressed a and angry...it is nuts!
I feel kind of bad for turkeys, too(and LIKE ground turkey...waahh.), especially since I see them by the road in the fall a lot.

~Stacey,
Thanks for visiting...and I think I WILL eventually have to post a pic of me with my 2-tone brogues and my greyhound...one day. :-)

~JarieLyn,
I have been saving that seal photo since the summer and was SO glad I could finally share it.
I am definitely more of a walker than bike rider--I like toi walk and rarely get tired of doing it(and you notice so much more when you walk).

~Chef Eureka,
Yeah, I, too hate that feeling of some days being planted behind a steering wheel.

~Pseudo,
It's been soi much on my mond--how this whole thing just sort of illuminates a country's values...sad.

~Sandra,
Blogger is a little strange these days for me, as well. All weekend, I couldn't even get IN to Blogger.
I would think that SOMEONE would have come up with the ultimate veggie burger by now.

~CaJoh,
I have to say David Bryne was off my radar for a few years there, but saw him perform recently on TV and was blown away and now read his online journal --whadda guy!

Gal Friday said...

~Claudia,
Can't wait for the Halloween jokes(which reminds me..I NEED to visit your blog--I am so behind). What?! You don't like the sound of Thelonious?! ;-)

~Jodi,
Have you ever stroked a greyhound's fur? Like chamois or velvet--you'll want one even more after that! I just find them to be such gentle souls(those eyes!)and so beautiful and very calming to be around(not that I don't love my own slightly more rambunctious current dog)

~Cyprus's health coverage sounds like the system over here, Anastasia. It can be excellent or poor, depending on how much you pay for it or if your employer offers a good insurance. That leaves many people without good coverage.
I feel for you with the imbalance in your Junior A class--nine against 1!!

~Keely,
Thank you for taking the time to visit(I think I'll do this Random Tuesday thing more often, too).
You make a very good point about Thelonious versus Fenway. Hmmmm....

~Only,
I have had Fenway at the back of my brain, ready and waiting for whatever pet we happen to get next--dog, cat or...other.
I don't mind the All-American Boca Burgers, but need to try the Morningstar ones you mention.
And I think you are right about the shoes...they are on my mind..and Xmas is coming up....

Gal Friday said...

~Becky,
I don't think of those (gorgeous) shoes as strictly men's shoes and I am not kidding that I want to wear them. Like other Doc Martens I have worn in the past, they come in Euro size 4 which fits me perfectly.
Now I have 2 votes for Fenway, 1 vote for Thelonious..hmmm....

~Zuzana,
I love "old school" jokes like that, too.
I think of those shoes as more "unisex" and I could totally pull it off wearing them and still look feminine(think Marlene Dietrich in the men's tuxedo..not that I could ever look like Dietrich..)
Oh me, too...I have always wanted to simply walk somewhere and am fascinated by accounts and books written by people who have journeyed like that..

~Vessie,
Again, I am glad some other people appreciated the corny jokes! :-) And thanks, as always, for visiting. :-)

creative kerfuffle said...

i have never listened to thelonius monk either and actually only knew of him because of that movie field of dreams. i think kevin costner's character liked him. it is a very cool name. the girl and the 17 yr old boy--i am getting a small dose of that too. i look at my daughter every day and see her beauty and it scares me to think boys will too. well, scares and excites me for her.

creative kerfuffle said...

oh, also, i've tried to like veggie burgers but can't. i have tried chicken burgers (from costco) and they are yummy. just can't do veggie burgers.

j said...

Oh, Tina, it's been too long since I took a few minutes to settle into your blog. LOVE your random thoughts. (They go well with coffee.)