
"Everyone must take time
to sit and watch the leaves turn."
~Elizabeth Lawrence
A sunny day in October is my definition of perfection.
It's perfection to sit outdoors in a sunny spot in a long sleeved black velvet top and feel completely comfortable. Warm-- warm enough to make me a little drowsy. Like sitting in a bubble bath that never cools down.
With maybe a slight breeze that ruffles your hair a little, and tickles your cheek when a wisp of loose blown hair brushes against it. Other than that(and even that feels good)--pure comfort. Not too cold-not too hot. Mellow and relaxing.
October weather around here(when it isn't raining or a late season hurricane blowing off the coast, that is) is like a happy medium --between cool and hot.
That is what I did yesterday when I returned home from work(only a few hours in the morning to get caught up-otherwise Tuesdays are my day during the week).
Just sat outside and attempted to read a book.
But never got too far with the book --Jane and Michael Stern's "Two For The Road; Our Love Affair With American Food" ,which had me laughing out loud in spots when describing some scummy motels they have stayed in, and I liked simply for the fact that they actually focus a lot on the wee state of Rhode Island and it's singular style of food.
I kept saying to myself, that I better get inside and get some things taken care of. But then kept giving myself "five more minutes" to sit under that golden autumn sun.
Five minutes turned to ten
and ten minutes turned into fifteen.
And I never did get much "done" in the house. But that's okay. It's good just to sit sometimes.
Daily life(especially during the work week) has been so regimented lately and with me constantly thinking of five different things in my head at the same time, that I really think it was a healthy thing to be able to just sit there.
So, yeah, yesterday was a good day. Only a few hours at work. Got my hair cut and it looks great, with a little flip at the ends and my stylist got it to stay straight. That won't last, though. After the first shampoo here at home I'll never get it to look like that again.
And, driving by the ocean and seawall(again) in the afternoon, I noticed people looked connected and engaged, compared to the sad and isolated feeling I felt when I saw scattered people there a few weeks ago(blogged a little about it here in another Randoms entry). Most people were paired up--in deep conversation facing each other on the wall, or gazing out at the ocean together.
11 comments:
Just sitting is sometimes a perfect way to spend your time... Love this post, Tina.
This post is why I like you and your blog. The ocean is only 40 minutes away from here at work. I feel like escaping to it today
Great reflective post... I know what you mean about just giving in to precious moments sometimes and not do what you should do; just do what you want to do. Just be. Life is way to short to spend it busy, stressing, running around in circles...
We have a famous quote in my culture which goes something like this: "Please, moment in time, stay still a while, as you are precious..."
I often feel it coming back to me in my mind, as so many moments are way too lovely to let go.;)
xo
Ahh...what a relaxing entry. It is entries like this that make me envy - in the good way ;-) - of those able to experience Autumn. Good that you spent a little while outside enjoying simple pleasures. Go right ahead and take them every time you can. Those are the joys of life.
I wish it was warmer outside to go collect leaves with the kids to make a collage or something...Instead we are dealing with below seasonal temperatures and ...SNOW!!
sounds like a perfect day. I have been thinking of taking a color tour trip this weekend. it doesn't last long around here. we have been having rain for two weeks now, not much sun at all.
I sent you an email about the photos.
have a great week!!
You should have seen the huge smile on my face while reading your post, Tina!!!:) Thanks for sharing your perfect day with all of us here!!!:) It's highly appreciated!!!:)
Thanks to everyone who left such nice comments( and who actually come over to read about kind of boring stuff I do in my backyard, as compared to other bloggers out there)--and you all seem to understand about the need for quiet. Kindred spirits, I think we are...
i love five more minutes, and this post and the glimpse into your day : ) i love october weather too. it had rained here off and on for days but now it is cool and the leaves are just barely starting to turn. i love this time of year. i've traded in my shorts for jeans most days, but still haven't given up the flip flops. lol.
This is a great post. I love days like this when I can just relax and read a book or watch TV all day without having to worry about going to the grocery store or plan a menu or cook or cater to anyone but myself.
Ah, the warm weather in October. Yes, it was warm here yesterday too and I love it.
A sunny day in October is daily routine over here. However much I hate autumn, I look forward to a ...rainy day in October!
Post a Comment