Not that I even need any more books to add to my "to-be-read" pile, but....every time I go to the dump, I have to check out the dump "library" (have written about this place before) . To be honest, the possibility of getting some new(free) books and mags is what makes me want to go to the dump!This week, when I stopped in after dropping off my recyclables, I took home the following books(in addition to a few recent issues of The New Yorker mag--perfect for having in the car with me , so I can read something while I wait for R to be finished with cross-country practice):
The first book, maybe a little outdated but I think maybe still worth reading,
"A Russian Princess Remembers" (hardcover edition,1989)
From the book jacket:
"Among the remarkable stories of human fortitude that Gorbachev's glasnost policy has brought into the open, none is more engaging and dramatic than that of Ekaterina Meshcherskaya. Now eighty-five and living in Moscow in three cramped rooms, surrounded by the few photographs and icons left to her, the princess has written a memoir that bridges the Soviet present and the Russian past and makes both come alive."
Even though I have heard of her name before, I have yet to read a Joanna Trollope(an ancestor of Anthony Trollope?)novel. So, I'll likely start with "A Spanish Lover"(1993), deemed "A Hugely Enjoyable Book" by one Miranda Seymour of the Sunday Times right on the front of the paperback cover. Hmmm...um, okay. We shall see.Then, I found the classic "A Room Of One's Own" by Virgina Woolf.
The 70's Seymour Chwast-like(actually it's John Alcorn) illustration of the front cover is what drew me in and I figured since I have never read this seminal book, I should give this slim paperback edition a try sometime. From the book's back cover,
"Future historians will place Mrs. Woolf's little book beside Mary Wollstonecraft's The Rights Of Women and John Stuart Mill's The Subjection Of Women. It does for the intellectual and spiritual liberation of women what those works did for the political emancipation. But a A Room of One's Own outshines them both in genius."

And, finally, a book I just never got around to reading, even though a few years back this book was everywhere.
"The Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya- Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells.
If I don't get around to reading it, I can always pass it along to R to read.
Here's one the many slightly dippy, overly effusive review blurbs from the back cover:
"One heck of a rollicking good read...You'll laugh. You'll cry. But you'll mostly laugh and want to offer Wells a hearty merci."
Wow...I can't believe someone actually used that old "you'll laugh, you'll cry..." line!
So, not a bad lot, considering they were all in good condition and interesting sounding books I haven't yet read...and they were completely free and for the taking. And I can always return them to the dump "library" and pass them on to anyone else who might be interested afterwards.
12 comments:
Always love book recommendations. The first one certainly sounds intriguing.;) Hasn't the last one been made into a movie? With Sandra Bullock? I might be wrong.;)
My Irishman reads to me every evening, just before I go to sleep. Lets see if any of these will make it onto our reading list.;)
Only one day to your day Tina.;)
xo
I've read the Ya Ya Sisterhood and (as always) the book was much better than the movie. If I remember, the book was also much darker. I liked it.
Okay...I got so excited about "A Room of One's Own" that I am still almost jumping out of my seat!! I LOVED reading that book in my English Major days. One of my ultimate favorite quotes comes from that book: "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." I always think of it when I am writing poetry or blogging. A room of my own....Hmmm....
Love your book lists. I haven't even made a dent in my summer list. Best laid plans and all...
I wish one could find free books around here. Old books are in fact even more expensive!, and they never give it for free. I've been thinking on going to that bookstore downtown Guatemala I went to when I was little, and see if I can find - even if I have to buy it! - a good collector's one. One can never know, and might come across and important one, just like one sees on TV.
I saw the movie version of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, and I think that if seen for the first time, one can actully cry and laugh with it. Then again, the actresses did a terrific job. I wonder how the book is? Often, or maybe always, books are better than the movie versions.
It sounds like you have a pretty scholarly dump going on there. Love the Virginia Woolf title; the book cover looks a bit psychedelic. That's a good book to own, and come back to every now and then.
I have never heard of a library at a dump before, but I think it is a wonderful idea. I wish we had something like that here. Our dump here in las vegas is very strange. It is in the middle of town and instead of being buried in dirt right there, everything is dumped onto the pavement (that's what our dump is) and then I suppose it is compacted and then hauled somewhere else by the dump trucks. You can imagine the smell just driving by.
Anyhow, I loved your post and I also have a pile of books to read.
Have a great weekend.
I think I have that Joanna Trollope book somewhere. I've read one of hers, "Other People's Children"... I remember not having high expectations about it, but I actually really enjoyed it and thought it was quite well written. You got some great titles there, yay for free libraries!
I've always wanted to read that book of Wolfe's... And my to read pile is huge too.
what a great idea for book exchanges. how lucky you are. looks like a lot of interesting reading afternoons ahead of you. Is this place actually a dump (garbage) or just a place to dump books? call me confused........
I love your book recommendations and will try to get them from amazon. That's where I get most of my English and / or French books from as I can't always find them in Cyprus. My last purchase on amazon was a DVD purchase. I got : Sabrina with Harrison Ford, One Fine Day with Michelle Pfeiffer and Lady Diana's True Story. Believe it or not, I haven't seen these films! I have only just received them and I hope to see them next weekend as this weekend is really going to be very busy for me.
You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hurl. :)
Post a Comment