Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Embracing Winter


The new year started off with a fresh coat of snow and then some more--it pretty much snowed for two days straight this past weekend. So far, I feel pretty good about the new year (when I am not paying attention to the news and aware of the dire straits some people are in still, with the bad economy) and liking these slow-paced "after-holidays" days.



It's been SO relaxing being home a little more (now that the craziness at work is past and with two long weekends in a row).

A little more time to walk the dog.

And to sit and gaze out the window at the bird feeder and the visitors it attracts both on and underneath it.

I am actually enjoying the cold, white world outside.





The winter is still new enough that I am not sick of it and find little things to cheer me up, even if there isn't a spot of anything green and growing out.


*The sky, with the just recently risen sun in the morning, looks like the inside of a fragile seashell, with delicate pinks and blues. That has lifted my mood when I've seen that view when I walked the dog the past few mornings.



* The evening sunsets, too, are spectacular--deeper shades of pink and glowy oranges hues behind the spindly black shapes of the bare tree branches.



*Against the winter white, the breathtaking red color of the male cardinal makes me stop what I am doing every time I see one. One can be perched shyly in a branch of a tree right outside my window(I scatter seeds on the ground for the cardinals, as well as the juncos, mourning doves and sparrows that come to feed on the ground--I even go out and stamp down the new snow if it is getting too deep for the birds, believe it or not!),

or sitting on the green rhododendron bush (well, there's some green, after all!) of a neighbor's house,

or flying past as I drive my car up the hill to work. Gets me every time--something that colorful seems almost out of place in this environment, but I am glad they live here!



*Driving back from the library late this afternoon, I was happy to see Christmas lights still up and lit on most houses, as well as wreaths (I hate to take ours down and it's still up, but sadly, we did take down the tree today and most of the other decos around the house)



*A few snowmen around--one on our street has red Christmas ornaments as eyes(one had melted off and was lying in the snow when I walked past it today, though), and a big one on the main road has green cedar branches that make him look like a rasta reggae snowman(or snow woman?).




* the crisp cold air smell that makes you feel alive when you first step out into it(and then hurts your face by the end of the walk and isn't so appreciated)




* the smell of the woodsmoke coming out of the neighbor's and our chimneys




* getting excited about making (and then eating!) a big pot of lentil soup--good hot stuff on a cold day, and a simple food that seems more appealing after the overdose of rich food I ate during the holidays.

12 comments:

cheatymoon said...

I love this list, Tina. I'm feeling a little blah this week, but it is mostly exhaustion and a little nervousness for some upcoming stuff.

I like winter for a lot of reasons. Thanks for reminding me. xo

cheatymoon said...

and by the way - we were commenting on each other's blogs at the same time just now!

Manders said...

Well, we have had winter here since November. I am about done with it now. Even the good things are not "good" anymore about this season. We have had so much snow up here this year, that I think we are all beginning to LONG for spring. It will not come soon enough!!

~JarieLyn~ said...

This is a great list. I love the smell of burning wood. It makes me feel cozy and romantic.

Zuzana said...

A beautiful post to my liking, there is indeed so much beauty in winter! You know that I love sunrises and sunsets as well as smoke from burning fires.:)
I agree with you, it is wonderful for our well being to just take it easy and marvel over the beauty of nature, at any season.;) It makes us forget our worries...
Happy 2010 to you my dear friend!
xoxo
Zuzana

Gal Friday said...

~Erin,
I hope the exhaustion and nervousness will pass(I am in awe of anyone who works full-time while also pursuing an education)--my teacher husband has been tired already these first two days back in the classroom.
I like that snychronicity of us posting ciomments at each other's blogs at the same time!

~Amanda,
You still have a l-o-n-g way to go, then...I forgot that you mentioned snow already after Halloween! Usually by early March I am sick to death of winter, myself. Hamg in there...

~JarieLyn,
I think there is something primal and essential to us humansabout a burning wood fire. Brings us back to sitting in a cave gathering around the magical fire for warmth and comfort?

~Zuzana,
I wish I could remember to have a camera on me to capture some of these skies like you do so often.
Happy New Year to YOU, as well! I hope things are off to a good start and this will be a good year for you. :-)

~

jane, candid said...

Tina, I love your beautiful photography and the way you are finding joy in so many little things all around you, even on what could be viewed only as a dreary winter day. I too like to pause to spend time watching the birds at the feeder. It is a moment to remind myself that such pursuits are not a waste of time, but a perfect use of time.
Thanks for brightening my day!
Jane

Anastasia Marou said...

I should have had more than one reason to like winter - Christmas, Saint Valentine's Day(right! I'm a great fan!), Alkis's birthday... yet I hate it when it's cold! The first three weeks of December were pretty scary in Cyprus:heavy rain, freezing cold, almost a hurricane on the 16th. Christmas was the calm after the storm , a bright sunny day and so was New Year's Day, probably the warmest we've ever known in recent years. I haven't taken my tree down yet or any of the other decorations including those in the bathroom. But I'll have to do that sooner or later...Right now I'd rather prolong the Christmas magic for just another weekend!

Claus said...

I am so envy of the easiness your are experiencing Tina. Completely the opposite on this side, as there is PLENTY to get done at work, and the clock is ticking. I'm actually stressed out! But reading your post took me immediately to my Februaries. February is to me the month of take it easy, relax, and slow down. I'm longing my February!
Enjoy your lentil soup! Coincidentally I had some yesterday. Indeed a good dish to have after the holidays.
*hugs*

SandraG said...

I am getting old and too tired to read long comments. Mine is short. I wish people would walk even when it's cold. There's always sometime to see that's different. Only the very brave and those who walk dogs were out this morning!

creative kerfuffle said...

i love your list too. you are so descriptive with the sights, smells, sounds, colors, makes me feel like i'm walking w/ you. i normally don't mind the cold, but, we don't have any snow, and it is so very cold.

Janet said...

I found myself nodding in agreement at many of the things you had to say! I'm lucky enough to have a cardinal pair living near me...and a flock of bluejays, too!