There's a been a change of plan..just a little...for this Saturday.I have to open up at work and be there until around noon today. Waaa...
This week has been so stressful at work with all kinds of aggravations. One being a scary, woman-hating yelling customer(who is affiliated with a university women's basketball team, which is pretty chilling). Co-workers, with their little quirks are annoying me more than usual(as am am sure I am annoying them with my own little quirks). We have had nothing but huge framing jobs, either in quantity(it is so monotonous to put together the same thing x 10) or size(and dealing with giant heavy plates of picture glass is not my cup of tea). I want this week to be over, but I can't celebrate that until I get out of there and go to the hair salon.
In fact, I want a vacation. But that isn't going to happen any time soon.
So, I'll have to think of my pampering high-lighting session as my own mini-vacation.
My breakfast this morning?
Blueberries in my oatmeal.
Also, a bowl of Indian Pudding(I made another batch to bring in to work this week) with ice cream! Hey, it's Saturday, and I have to work, so I think I deserve it.
Remember a few weeks ago when I wrote about breaking the coffee machine's carafe? Well, yesterday, we discovered that now the whole coffee maker doesn't work anymore. It was a "cheapie Proctor Silex made-in-China" one, so I guess all we could have expected was five good years out of it?
So, before I went over to my friend's house for the book club wine gulping sessi----er, "meeting", I popped in to Benny's to buy a new coffeemaker, so we wouldn't have to start off the weekend with no coffee. The woman who rang me up remembered me and my story of the broken carafe when I bought the replacement one!! We both had to laugh about that. And...she told me that two days after I came in with my story about breaking the coffee carafe, she went and bumped her's and it broke! I didn't mean to jinx her.
Book night was lovely, with EVERYONE showing up for once. We got to sit in front of a lit fireplace(while the snowflakes swirled outside), we toasted each other with ice cold aquavit(and it was a Danish bottle, incidentally, Zuzana, if you are reading this), we all liked the book we read(Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo") and all agreed upon a Saul Bellow book for next month's selection(I know--some heavy reading, this time). We are also planning a "Julia Child Cook-Off Weekend" at a member's beach cottage this June, where we'll all make a dish from "The Art Of French Cooking" there and sit down to eat it all.
Then, when I got home, I had a slight headache(thankfully I don't have one this morning) and stomach ache(I think the combination of sushi, salmon and dill and stuffed mushrooms and wine...and schnapps churning in my belly might have had something to do with that), so took two aspirin and three Tums and fell into bed.
I have decided that I am sick of the Olympics(doesn't it end this weekend?)--I heard the sound of those damn cowbells that get rung at events from the TV on in the other room last night and they were driving me nuts. Enough!
And crap! That is horrible news about the huge earthquake in Chile. That was the first thing I saw when I logged onto the Internet this morning. Damn. There are way too many bad things happening and people suffering. It puts having to work on a weekend into perspective and makes me remember that my life(at this moment)is pretty darn good.
******
This didn't turn out to be as short a post as I thought it would be. But, I called this a "quick" one because this is all random, off the top of my head stuff, fueled by caffeine.
12 comments:
Tina...I haven't turned on the TV or read any internet news yet so this is the first I have heard about the situation in Chile. How awful. I know what you mean about things overflowing in your head once the coffee kicks in.
Maybe you should just wear your earphones all day today at work and listen to some of your lovely music. Pictures please of the new hairdo. Enjoy the mini-vacation.
xo, Rosemary
quite the week you have had. Hi! just trying to get back into the swing of things, being gone for a while.
I have just started watching the olympics a bit. just lately had a few moment to sit and stare at the TV for a change!!
have a great weekend!!
I am suffering from a bit of Olympic overload myself although I am very proud of our Canadian women. Of course, you realize that, if our men do not win hockey gold tomorrow, this whole nation will be plunged into despair. Pathetic but that's the way it is!
My father-in-law called me this morning to tell me about the earthquake. Horrifying.
I love the cook-off in the cabin idea. That will be so much fun and will be like a mini-vacation right? Fun with your girlfriends is always a relaxing thing.
Well - thank goodness you still have the highlighting and the pancakes in your future. You'll need to post a pic of your new tresses.
It was tough hearing about the new earthquake. 8.8. Shocking. And now Hawaii is at threat of a possible tsunami. Don't want to think about it because my thoughts go wild and it's scary.
Your book meetings sound really interesting.
It's good that it's busy at work. That will surely keep the boss in a good mood, no? :)
Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend Tina.
Earthquake rattled me too. So much weird and scary-ish stuff lately.
Book club sounds fun.
I'm waiting for my coffee maker to die... what sort of new one did you buy?
Yet another lovely post from you, those that I love.;)
The Danish aquavit, called "Snaps" or "Gammeldansk" is very famous.;) But a very acquired taste. Glad you liked it.;))
Your week sounds actually great; you had a little bit of everything. Makes you feel alive...
I agree about the earthquake. How awful...
Sorry about the Saturday work, but I hope you will have a lovely Sunday.:)
xoxo
Zuzana
~Rosemary,
I will have to be brave enough soon, to show a photo of me with my "new look", which I am not so sure about yet(I don't look like me!)
~Doreen,
Yes, you have been busy, I am sure, with settling in after your move. Thank you for taking a moment to stop by here.
~Sandra,
Team Canada is doing great(I *think* thye have won the most gold medals so far out of all the countries at these games), so you should be proud! I am torn as to who I want to win the hockey game today, myself.
~Clare,
I don't know if I can bear to read any more about this latesat earhtquake(there was a photo on my homepage this morning--oh dear).
We "cooked up" this Julia Child weekend idea few book meetings ago and it looks like it is really going to happen(I still need to figure out what I'll be making)
~Barb,
So far, I am high-lighted(though not completely sure of the results yet), but have yet to get my pancakes(so far this morning I am the only one awake in this house).
~Arty,
Now the danger of a tsunami has passed to the other side of the Pacific--Japan and Russian shores. So scary!
And, you are right--we are busy at work and that's a good thing for all, does it keep the owner happy. :-)
~Erin,
We didn't get any kind of quality or fancy coffee maker--basically replaced it with almost the same kind we had--a Proctor Silex. We are very basically boring when it comes to coffee, anyway. No need for a cappucino maker here.
~ Zuzana,
Well...truth be told, I didn't exactly LOVE the taste of that Danish "Snaps"(reminded me of rubbing alcohol and a lighter Ouzo!), so I put a lot of ice in the glass !! It was more for the adventure of it that I drank it.
we have never had a good coffee pot. i hate shopping for them because it seems insane to me to pay more than $20-25 for it, but then it is something i use every single day and will use every single day. we always buy the cheapie ones and they last a few years and then break or start leaking at will. i guess at some point i should buy an expensive one?
Hmm sounds like work wasn't so wonderful in the past week! Hope the current week is going in a more smooth way!
I think five years for a Chinese coffeemaker is pretty long! Here they don't really know the word 'durable' and about everything falls into pieces after very short time. It's even difficult to find things of good quality. I know it *is* somewhere out there, but I don't know where ;)
I was smiling about your story of the coffee carafe :)
Ah you read some Stieg Larsson. Good to read you liked the Girl with the dragon tattoo because I was wondering whether to read it ;)
I just love the Julia Child idea :)). I guess it will be such a yummie and fun night together!!
Yeah horrible news is making rounds in the world isn't it. So much is happening!
~Marcelle,
The Larsson book was a great read, but with some very disturbing scenes in it. I am looking to read the second one now, and interested in the movie coming out, too.
Post a Comment