Sunday, March 21, 2010


This is Just to Say

by William Carlos Williams


I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox


**


and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast


**

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold
**
***
*
A favorite poem of mine.
Since it's World Poetry Day.
(World Poetry Day is on 21 March, and was declared by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in 1999. The purpose of the day is to promote the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world)
Sorry I have not caught up with any of my favorite blogs in days, or even replied to the many comments here. Offline life has been busy lately(but a good busy--lots to write about when I get a chance), not only for me, but also for my kid and husband. So..one more busy day to get through, and I'll do my catching up in Bloggerland starting tomorrow.
In the meantime, I would love it if any readers left some names of favorite poems or poets here. I can't really say I know much about poetry, and wish I read it more. I like Dickens, Williams, Poe, Silverstein, Whitman, Rumi...but know there is so much more out there.

14 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

ah poetry. poetry is like wine for me. i WANT to understand it and appreciate it, and sometimes i try and then...it just doesn't stick w/ me. i've had better luck w/ poetry than wine though because i do like some...i wandered lonely as a cloud...the ones i like don't need a lot of explaining though : )

Patricia said...

I remember this poem, it was one of a teacher's favourite back in college, I like it very much too! What really stroke me is that I posted something today including a favourite little poem of mine which I remembered while walking by the sea...only to find out it's World Poetry Day today! wow!

cheatymoon said...

I am with ck on the topic of poetry. I do get it. I have a degree in English, but I don't love it as much as I wish I did. I love Yeats, and Rumi, and a few others... but I think I need to slow down in order to truly appreciate it.

Meg said...

I used to write poetry when I was much younger. My favorite poetry to read is that of Walt Whitman and Robert Frost. I absolutely love Robert Frost's The Road Less Traveled.

SandraG said...

My husband is the real poetry lover but I like some too. I used to love limericks (the clean ones) and read them to my grade three classes. We laughed a LOT.

I went through a very difficult time about 15 years ago and that was the time I wrote a lot of poetry. I haven't written much lately. maybe the pain produces the poem.

Barb said...

I like that poem, too. Try reading some Mary Oliver. She is a wizard about Nature.

Zuzana said...

Although I actually did for many years compete in poetry reading when I was a child (yes, the communists had all those contest for young pioneers), I am not that fond of poetry. Ok, I take it back, I know very little poetry actually. Still, there are some once in a while that speaks to me plenty.;)
Have a lovely Monday dear Tina, hope it is not too busy for you,
xo
Zuzana

Manders said...

I LOVE that one, too!! Reminds me of English and that I have a ton of Anthologies (Poetry, literature..) in boxes downstairs. Ahhh to go back and study more literature. One day...

Clare said...

That one is great!

I like "The world is too much with us" by William Wordsworth and

"Lines composed a few miles from tintern abbey" another Wordsworth

Carole Poirot said...

I love poetry, I have books filled with it and I even read them occasionally...so why, oh why can I not remember any right now? That one is lovely, thanks for sharing. Hope you have a lovely day x

Anastasia said...

T.S.Eliot is to me the best poet ever. When I chose him as my thesis topic at university, my revered professor John Blair from the USA asked me if I was sure of my choice. I replied that T.S.Eliot was the poet I loved and that I was very sure of my choice. "Four Quartets" is my most favourite poem but I also love Prufrock and The Waste Land. I can read Eliot for hours on end.

Maria Horvath said...

One of the commenters, Barb, wrote, "Try reading some Mary Oliver. She is a wizard about Nature."

I agree. Try this, one of my favorites.


PERCY AND BOOKS

Percy does not like it when I read a book.
He puts his face over the top of it and moans.
He rolls his eyes, sometimes he sneezes.
The sun is up, he says, and the wind is down.
The tide is out and the neighbor's dogs are playing.
But Percy, I say. Ideas! The elegance of language!
The insights, the funniness, the beautiful stories
that rise and fall and turn into strength, or courage.

Books? says Percy. I ate one once, and it was enough.
Let's go.

~ Mary Oliver, b. 1935, American poet

Gal Friday said...

~c.k.,
I get what you are saying, and I feel the same way about poetry sometimes. It seems like something you need to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n in life to appreciate, and that isn't so easy with the speed of life in 2010.

~Patricia,
Because I have been so busy and away from Blogger, I have yet to see that blog entry of your's(but will today!). I always liked how you featured poetry on your blog, in the past.

~only,
Exactly! It's the "slowing down" in life that would let us read more poetry. I didn't study enough literature in art college--sometimes think it would be great to take a university course in poetry or certain authors.

~Meg,
Oh yes--Robert Frost is another poet that I am familiar with and have liked to read and listen to poems of his. Whitman's poems are amazing(but so long).

~Sandra,
I used to have a big book full of limericks, but sadly, the only ones I do remember by heart are the dirty ones..heh...heh..."there once was a man from Nantucket..."


~Barb,
Thank you for the Oliver tip!! :-)


~Zuzanna,
Well, my MOnday is long gone and the whole week was a whirl, but I am finally here to respond to your comment.
I guess the "forced" part of poetry recitation from your childhood may have something to do with you thinking you are not too fond of poetry now. You seem like a "poet" yourself, though.

~ Manders,
I can imagine your longing for class and reading your favorite poetry again(and I never even studied it in college like you did)

~Clare,
Wordsworth...oh yes, I have heard of that "guy". I'll have to reread some of his favorite poems. Thanks for sharing your own favorite poet and those lines.

~ Mlle. Poirot,
I can almost "see" your poetry books on your pretty bookshelves.

~ Anastasia,
I already *knew* you love Eliot--one day, maybe, I'll learn to understand his poems.

~Maria,
With both you and Barb suggesting Mary Oliver, I will be looking her up(and that poem is wonderful!). Funny, just this morning, there was a line from her used in a newspaper column about nature.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing that poem here, too.

~ said...

Hi there! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting! :) Also thank you for the compliment on my name. It comes from my great-great grandmother who I was named after.
******************************

I love poetry, Gal Friday! Yes! Sometimes a poem can be just what you need to get you motivated or just to perk up your day. I've written a few poems and perhaps I will post them on my blog soon.

Some of my favorite poets are Rilke, Dickinson, Frost, Thoreau, Longfellow, Whitman, Byron ...endless!

One of my all time favorites:

Hope is the thing
with feathers
that perches in the soul
and sings the tune
without the words
and never stops at all
--Emily Dickinson

Have a Happy Day Gal Friday! :)