Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Things You Just Don't See Anymore, Part 3



Okay, I am going to really date myself with what I am about to say .....
After reading some Easter basket memories at Peg's blog,
I started thinking about my own Easter basket memories.

There was always that giant solid chocolate Easter rabbit that you started nibbling off the ears of, but could never actually finish.
There were the jelly beans(of which I picked out the black licorice flavored ones to give to my sister--I prefered the red and pink ones),
the peanut butter chocolate eggs(my favorite),
and the the marshmallow filled chocolate eggs.
I don't remember ever seeing any Peeps candies when I was a kid, but that's okay because when I tried them a few years ago for the first time, I could barely stand the sugary sweet taste and texture. Why are these things so popular?
Cadbury's Creme eggs didn't happen on the U.S. Easter scene until long after my Easter basket days, and that's okay, too. The gooey filling makes me think too much of a real egg's insides(I'm not a fan of eggs, soft boiled or hard boiled--especially the yolk) and it tastes too rich for me. Like the marshmallow Peeps,I know these eggs have their legions of fans, though.
Of course, there was always the requisite egg hunt. We always hunted for small chocolate eggs and jelly beans and for the most part, it was usually indoors, rather than outdoors. (growing up in New England--especially when we were in Maine--, it was never quite comfortably warm enough for outdoor anything on Easter Sundays--this just past one a real anomaly with temps soaring in the 70's*F!). My mother hid some so well, I can recall finding some unexpectedly in places like the living room's magazine basket months and months later(and of course, eating them, no matter how stale. It was always a serendipitous discovery).

Then, as a mother with my own child, I loved getting a basket together for my own daughter(and would get up early to be sure that the "Easter Bunny" hid those eggs well outside in the back yard for the hunt). But, last year, with R almost 14 years old, I decided that it was time to stop the Easter Basket tradition. But then, R actually seemed sad last year, without a basket on Easter morning, and I remember wishing that I had given her one after all.
Well, a few weeks ago, when I was in the supermarket, I spotted a bottle of bubble liquid, and I wanted so badly to buy it--for both my daughter and my own memories. After I put it in my cart, I also looked around for some candy for R's basket--Lindt chocolate eggs and a Lindt chocolate bunny (only the best chocolate for my kid--I have raised her as a chocolate snob), and the hunt was on for little goodies for her basket. It made me feel all was right with the world that I could still give my (now almost 15 years old) daughter an Easter Basket. I did throw in some things like nail polish and and shower gel, too.
And..it was so rewarding to realise that my kid was very happy to have her own basket (with bubbles!)on Easter Sunday. Twice, she thanked me(and the husband) for her basket!
Looking around for things to put in her basket, I roamed the drug store's aisles, looking at the temporary Easter aisle. It made me feel a little old when I couldn't find things like jacks and jump ropes--these were always put out for sale for Easter baskets back in my day(w-a-a-y back when). I guess kids don't play with these things anymore.

This got me thinking of other "things you just don't see anymore" (like Charo, phone booths, nuns in habits--I blogged about these things in parts 1 and 2 here and here).


* Paper Dolls and Paper Doll Books
These, I think, have completely disappeared from the scene. I used to love these books full of clothes to cut out (there might have been some books later with perforated clothes, but I remember actually enjoying cutting around the tabs--no matter how long it took), and these used to be on a rack in the dime store right next to the......

.....Coloring Books .
I guess these might still be around. But I haven't seen any lately.
I guess it's a good thing these aren't so popular anymore. They certainly didn't encourage too much creativity, I suppose. But, I would spend hours coloring in my coloring books--it was a satifying, soothing activity, as I remember it.(and it was that much better if you had a brand new box of pointy tipped crayons to color in the blank pages with). One of my earliest memories is of sitting at the Formica and metal kitchen table in our kitchen when I was about 5 years old, coloring in my Disney Jungle Book coloring book, the smell of mingled Crayola wax crayons and and the stale cigarette in the ashtray next to me(a friend of our mother's was visiting)--a good 60's scented memory.


* Jump Ropes
I suppose these are still around, if you really look for them. But, when I searched for Google images for 'jump rope', it was mostly jump ropes intended for adult exercise that came up, when what I was searching for was the plastic handled kind with the striped cord(see above!)
When I was a child, jump ropes were mandatory almost, if you were a girl. We jumped rope in our yards, on the street and on the school playground.

Which brings me to.... * Jacks
This was another big thing, and I remember a huge jacks craze in particular in the 5th grade. Would 5th graders even condescend to play jacks, now? I don't think so...but we had tournaments at recess and even before school. Marbles, too, were big when I was in my early elementary school years, but it was more a 'boys only' thing then. Still, we always got new marbles in spring, and I just liked having them to hold and to look at, and to separate into piles of prettiest and next-prettiest.

And lastly......* Dusting Powder !
I have been thinking of powder lately--remembering there was always a yellow container of Jean Nate dusting powder in our bathroom cabinet. And I got it into my head that I think I might want to get some for myself for this summer--a nostalgia-type thing(yes, I know talc isn't good to breathe in, so maybe that is part of the reason dusting powder isn't around much anymore).
So, on a break from work the other week, I walked over to the nearest drugstore to find some. The selection of powders was so dismal. Just some Shower-to-Showers(I used to wear Shower-to-Shower powder every day in high school, actually), Johnson's baby powders and Gold Bond. Not even a pink Cashmere Bouquet! And certainly not any powders with puffs. :-(
I am going to keep looking for scented dusting powders, though, and just might look into making my own (I think you can make it using rice or corn starch which is better for you than talc).






7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG I loved this! Jacks! I loved jacks. I played alone for hours as well as coloring! Paper dolls all that stuff. But out of them all i adored jacks. Wonder if a kid today could be still long enough to play that game?

Your entry also reminded me of the things I got in my basket as a teenager....yes my mom did it until we moved out. The baskets got more expensive I am sure for them but we loved it. I still got all the candy but I remember Jovan Musk (ha ha) lip gloss, hair accessories a cassette tape....talk about dating myself.

Oh what fun that was down memory lane!

And they still make dusting powder. I bought some for my Grandmother at Macy's about 1-2 yrs ago. Well unless they stopped since then. She loved it. She's been wearing it for years!

Claus said...

No matter how old I am, my mother always treats me to childhood traditions, so I can understand how gestures like this will always be part - and missed - by R. You are a great and cool mom!! :-)

You know where coloring books can be found here? Dollar stores! or shall I say "Quetzal" stores :-)) it's so refreshing to see that they are still popular around here. Jacks? I still have my set! in my memory box :-) such simpler times, huh? when these were popular.

Ohh...and guess what my grandma gave to me on Christmas? Dusting powder!!! :-) where does she find these things? They smell nice, and I'm actually using them :-)

Unknown said...

oh yes...... the memories!! your first two posts also took me way back. but guess what? Charo was on Dancing With the Stars last night in fact. you still cannot understand a thing she says and she looks and acts the same, just older. the paper dolls were one of my toys when I was little. when you have lived over 50 years so much has changed. crazy!!

Manders said...

My kids still love coloring books. As for jacks? I haven't seen any since I was a kid. Perhaps I will have to search them out...

cheatymoon said...

I love this post.
My son played jacks when he was in second grade - he was really into it for a while.
I always make him an easter basket/bag/bucket. He loves the candy. (I love picking it out).
I am your soul sister on the topic of eggs. Cadbury ones are fine for me, though.
And I have coloring books for my classroom - I photo copy the pages and my student love them! We get the Dover ones - you can get them at AC Moore or bookstores.
:-)

Zuzana said...

This was a fun recollection of things I too remember. Particularly the Paper Dolls and Paper Doll Books. I never played Jacks and am not familiar with that game.;)
As for the rest, I think you can still find all of these here except for dusting powder.;) I am so surprised that you do not see Jump Ropes, I think they are still available in the toy stores here.:)
xo
Zuzana

creative kerfuffle said...

i'm giving this post a big hug. it's filled w/ so much goodness. my kids (13 and 10) still get easter baskets too : ) i will probably always give my kids easter baskets and christmas stockings. the boy got a jump rope in his (for karate traingin) my easter baskets growing up sound much like yours, but we did have peeps. i hated them. and? my parents took them out of the wrapper so the celophane grass stuck to them. gross. oddly enough it wasn't until i was an adult that i realized the candy i loved the best, little chocolate hershey footballs---were...yes, chocolate eggs! why i thought they were footballs i will never know. coloring books--i've written too much about them on my blog. i miss them so and you and i should do a coloring book together : )