
This house is so HOT!
It makes me wish I were somewhere else--somewhere cool and frosty and air-conditioned--even work seems enticing now.
It makes me wish I were somewhere else--somewhere cool and frosty and air-conditioned--even work seems enticing now.
Don't those two little girls look cool and comfortable in their summer clothes? That's me and my sister, some 45 years ago. I am the darker haired one, er...with my hands in a less than lady-like position. I have a few photos from my childhood where I am in that same pose. Maybe having to pose for the camera triggered a need to visit the toilet? Or maybe I innocently thought this was the appropriate way to hold my hands?
And, no, I was never a particularly cute kid(skinny with sleepy small eyes). Although, my sister(who was the cute one with white -blonde hair and big brown eyes) looks like she is possessed in the photo!
But, never mind the heat now. I have been wanting to try to capture my random thoughts and observations here again, so I'll keep at it. Even though this is the warmest room in the house(the computer giving off heat, perhaps?) and I am re-writing this again since Blogger(or might it have been me?) did something screwy a minute ago and I lost everything I wrote.
It certainly feels like summer(the weekend was hot and the beaches were packed) and very appropriate for this-- the summer solstice. R just finished school today after taking her last two final exams. I still haven't seen her since she had two parties to go to after school today. Right now, she is at the second one, where there is going to be a bonfire built and she and her friends plan on burning their school papers.
Me, I think I'll sit out on the back deck this evening and watch the bats in the sky. And then watch the fireflies. There seem to be a lot of fireflies early this summer(noticed them last week)
I saw two mildly surprising sights on my way home from work today.
As I sat at the red light directly across from the town beach parking lot, I noticed an elderly man, dressed in khakis and a pale blue long-sleeved Oxford shirt sort of staggering, half bent over in the parking lot. I sensed his walking was a bit of work for him these days, and noted how that contrasted with the youthful, near naked bodies all around him. Then it seemed he was really struggling, but it turned out that he was actually fumbling in his pocket to get out his ringing(vibrating?)... cell phone! I did not expect to see that elderly man with a cell phone pressed to his ear, walking along.
And then the light changed.
As I drove further along, I passed a small group of motorcyclists and one of them had this amazing moustache! It was long and grey and curled and flying in the wind as he drove.
Well, someone is setting off fireworks in this neighborhood(and it is more than a week until Independence Day!) and that's all I can take of this heat. I am going to go and fix myself a drink(vodka, pomegranate seltzer and lime sounds good) and cool off.
It certainly feels like summer(the weekend was hot and the beaches were packed) and very appropriate for this-- the summer solstice. R just finished school today after taking her last two final exams. I still haven't seen her since she had two parties to go to after school today. Right now, she is at the second one, where there is going to be a bonfire built and she and her friends plan on burning their school papers.
Me, I think I'll sit out on the back deck this evening and watch the bats in the sky. And then watch the fireflies. There seem to be a lot of fireflies early this summer(noticed them last week)
I saw two mildly surprising sights on my way home from work today.
As I sat at the red light directly across from the town beach parking lot, I noticed an elderly man, dressed in khakis and a pale blue long-sleeved Oxford shirt sort of staggering, half bent over in the parking lot. I sensed his walking was a bit of work for him these days, and noted how that contrasted with the youthful, near naked bodies all around him. Then it seemed he was really struggling, but it turned out that he was actually fumbling in his pocket to get out his ringing(vibrating?)... cell phone! I did not expect to see that elderly man with a cell phone pressed to his ear, walking along.
And then the light changed.
As I drove further along, I passed a small group of motorcyclists and one of them had this amazing moustache! It was long and grey and curled and flying in the wind as he drove.
Well, someone is setting off fireworks in this neighborhood(and it is more than a week until Independence Day!) and that's all I can take of this heat. I am going to go and fix myself a drink(vodka, pomegranate seltzer and lime sounds good) and cool off.
9 comments:
Don't you just love old photos! You can remember how it was then - what you were thinking maybe or why the heck your sis was so excited. It's nice and cool here in the Mts - I had to come inside to get warm. I like the idea of fireflies, though - and the nice cool drink.
cute pic of you and your sis : )
i am dying of the heat and humidity here. seriously, even w/ air conditioning it's like 75 in the house. blech.
Not that hot here. I will not complain. Warm enough to let the kids sleep in their skivies (sp?) Aidan is not done school until Friday...That will be wonderful!!
You know that these are my favorite posts of yours, don't you.;).
Ah fireflies, how I miss them! In fact I wrote about them today.;)
Now aren't you two just adorable! Look at you and your sister with that typical sixties haircut.;)) Cute, cute, cute.;)
And that drink sounds just perfect, can I come by and enjoy it with you.;)
Please relish in the heat, and the hot house, it all screams summer to me. It will pass before you know it and then the never ending winter will be here once again. I would give anything for a really hot, long summer...
xoxo
Love the photo of you and sis!!
fireflies - I haven't seen one in well...forever. must make a real effort to look.
I don't know how you live without air conditioning. Perhaps it's not that hot up there for long?
I would be hurting people.
It won't get to the 70's until at least October so I will live with stale air for awhile now. Still miserable.
That drink sounded wonderful.
You always have such good sounding beverages I want to come over.
When it was summer around here (almost three months ago!) I too strangely, wanted to be at work! Though without air conditioning (an uncommon luxury in this country, unless you are in a hotel ballroom or bedroom, or in banks) it is a far fresher place. Maybe because it is on a 7th floor, and because of its position, the sun never really hits its.
Very cute photo! Isn't it great to check pictures from other times? I like to do so, and I spend hours remembering :-)
Have a great summer day!
~Barb,
Usually at this point in early summer, it is fairly cool in the evening, too(usually cool enough to enjoy a hot cup of tea at night), but we are all mixed up this year and it is August weather already!
~c.k.,
If it is hot here, I can't imagine how you can stand it a little further south--it has to be even hotter! Yech. (actually, it has cooled down the last few days...)
~Amanda,
Yes, some schools near here are still in session until Friday, too.
~Zuzana,
I really wish you *could* come join me for a cool drink, and...fireflies! ;-)
~Peg,
Usually it's okay to get by in the summer here, without AC, but if this is how our summers are going to be(global warming?) from now on, I think we'll need it. As I write now, in the morning, it's cool, fresh and foggy. Love it!
~Claus,
Your describing your country as getting by for the most part without air conditioning reminds me of when I read "Love in the Time of Cholera" and the siestas and the descriptions of the heat and the way everyone rested and slowed down because of it. I know it was set in Columbia, but maybe that is how it is a little in Guatemala? I think AC has allowed Americans to work more and to appreciate less summer's way of making people slow down a little.
You were a very cute child!
That drink sounds lovely...
I woke up to fireworks at 3:30 this morning. So not cool. This was in NH - at other half's house. Ack.
~Erin,
Fireworks at 3:30 AM?! I guess that's NH for ya.."live free or/and do what ever you want at what ever hour, regardles of the neighbors!"
Post a Comment