Thursday, June 10, 2010

More Things....

..I just don't "get". (I started this topic with a blog entry back in 2009... here)

The other day, I had to wait at the dentist's while Rachel had a cavity filled. It never seemed to be this way before, but the waiting room had a dismal selection of magazines to look through--or else it was because it was so crowded with other patients filling most of the waiting room and they had already grabbed the better mags(National Geographic, Real Simple, People).

Wired, Wine Spectator, AARP(with Valerie Bertinelli on the cover? Isn't she like..MY age?),Guideposts, Boys Life(I didn't even know that was still published! Do boys still read this?), some sport fishing mags...nothing looked worth reading. So, I ended up grabbing an "Entertainment Weekly"-People magazine's less entertaining knock-off. There were pages and pages devoted to the newest "Sex And The City" movie. Pages! Now, I never even saw a single episode of SITC when it was on television. But, I knew it was a hit and knew about the two movies. But, I don't get why it is such a phenomena.

Because nothing held my interest, and I ended up waiting longer than I thought I would have to(why do I never remember to throw a book I want to read in my bag for those times when I am stuck waiting somewhere?)I started being distracted by the television up on the wall. They had the Food Network turned on.
There's another thing I don't get--maybe simply because I don't usually watch cooking shows. I guess I cannot wrap my head around the idea that there are cooking shows after cooking shows on all day and all night! I ended up being annoyed by the two female "cooks" I ended up watching while I waited. They were just too damned perky and fast moving in their brightly decorated GIANT kitchens. Give me Julia Child's show any day--which is being re-broadcast on Saturday afternoons on the original station out of Boston (R and I were into watching those old "French Chef" episodes in the winter and early spring. So..I guess I actually *might* like one cooking show at least). Or give me a cookbook to peruse(I like to read cookbooks).


Okay...now I get the feeling someone is going to dislike me after I write this, but I have to say it...
I never got the Diana(as in Princess of Wales)love. What was the fascination? I'll admit I was shocked as anyone on the day I found out she had been killed in that Paris car crash(I can remember that sunny weekend morning when I went out to get the newspaper from our front yard and being flabbergasted by what I was reading on the front page). But all through the 80's, I could not relate to all the press devoted to this "fashion rebel"(rebel?? In those awful hats and suits?) and the entire Royal Family drama. I was reminded of the Princess Di fascination because of a story on the Yahoo home page about one of her "racy"(the press used this word) dresses being up for sale recently.

I don't get: Texting. Texting while driving. Texting while standing in line at the post office. Talking loudly(about some one's drinking problem even) on the cell phone in public places. Talking on a cell phone while walking alongside a friend. Cell phone glued to ears when walking a dog through the neighborhood. Cell phone conversations that can't end even while purchasing something in a store--just hand the money to the person behind the counter without any actual interaction with that person(yes, this has happened to me).
I don't get why people have to be constantly communicating. Can't they ever be alone with their thoughts? Don't they see how rude this attachment to their cell phone has made them?
A few weekends ago, my daughter said she was woken up early in the morning by some woman out in the street walking by, talking loudly -obviously having a conversation on her cell phone.
Maybe I am beginning to sound too old and cranky and out of touch?
I never text.
I use my cell phone maybe four times a month.
I like walking my dog, my thoughts connected to what my dog is doing and also observing the environment around me as I walk.
I never think to take my cell phone with me.


One last thing, that I just do not get!
I don't understand how certain people(thankfully, just a few customers of ours at the frame place) can be so lazy and/or thinking it is beneath them somehow to do it themselves,
to come in and choose a tabletop frame --the kind you can buy in any store, from Macy's to Wal-Mart--leave their 4" x 6" photos with us, and instead of buying the frame and taking it home and inserting the photo into it there themselves..they expect someone who works at the shop to open the back and put it in for them. And...expect not to have to pay to have that done when they come back for it the next day, either! Who do these people think they are? Royalty with staff ? I'll bet even Princess Diana put her own royal photos into the frames themselves.
And, yes, we are a custom framing shop--where we build frames and cut mats for art and larger photos(or create collage-type mats for multiple smaller photos)--but it drives me nuts when
people(who seem entirely capable and intelligent ) do this. Plus, we are so busy with time-consuming custom jobs, it really bugs that I have to take time out to slip photos into easily opened table-top easel-backed frames that I would think most people could just do themselves.
*And, for the record, that day at the dentist's, I ended up also leafing through the A.A.R.P. magazine(lifestyle magazine for the American retired person, which I would love to be but cannot see that happening anytime soon), and finding it interesting reading. Really!
**Also..for the record, I can understand that someone could easily say that they don't "get" how people can spend their spare time writing a blog and communicating oftentimes with people who they have never met face-to-face. :-) Well, to each her own, right? (but at least my blogging doesn't wake someone up early on a Saturday morning)




16 comments:

Barb said...

Be careful - you might be on the next AARP cover! Once I saw a mother strolling her toddler in the park - she was talking on her cell phone, and he had a real cell phone pressed to his little ear and was also talking. Were they talking to each other? One thing they weren't doing was enjoying nature! (Sorry - you must have awakened latent things that I also don't get...)

Zuzana said...

These are alway my favorite posts of yours.;) You are a true thinker and a contemplator and you convey your thoughts so clearly.;)

SITC is addictive. I never watched it while living in the US, as it was send on HBO and I did not have that. But I got hooked while living here. They were resending all the episodes in syndication on one of the Danish channels, one episode every day from 11PM, so I watched all of the season in one year in my bed, just before going to sleep. I grew to love the show. There is something infinitely familiar about the scenes. I can not put my finger on why I like it, but I think the producers have managed to create 4 characters, all different, thus all women can recognize themselves in some of the traits. Even though at times over the top, the plot is always kept very believable and often quite melancholic, exploring the inner sanctum of every woman's dreams and desires. I did not see the first movie in a cinema, but I bought it later in DVD and I was not disappointed. I will do the same with the sequel, even though it has gotten bad reviews (don't just all sequels get that).

I so agree wit you on Diana (never got her appeal either, she appeared always so very aloof and a bit daft to me). And likewise the cellular phone. Never knew people would go to you to frame small images, how weird is that.;)

I hope you will have a great Friday dear Friday Girl.,))
xoxo

Gal Friday said...

~Barb,
Well, I have come to accept the fact that I am definitely in the A.A.R.P. demographic(or quickly approaching it)-- no wonder I actually liked reading what was inside that magazine.

~Zuzana,
Thanks for explaining the Sex in The City popularity. I just missed out on watching it so never knew what the appeal was. I haven't gotten into a dramatic television series in a long time--the last time I did it was "The X-Files".

Raquel's World said...

SITC- Never got it. I think it's wack. I actually attended a SITC party once. The drinks and people were fun, the show I just didn't get the appeal.
TEXTING- I LOVE to text. It's so much easier than having to hold a whole conversation it's a quick way to say something brief and move on. I do not text and drive though.
LOUD CELL USERs- Oh, I hate them wanna kill em actually. Seriously can you just shut up and stop telling everyone in Food Lion your whole life. Just text that info privately lol.
Also the people that use the phone while purchasing from a store....although I do not work in a store I do experience people doing this to me daily. It is sooo annoying. I have been guilty of this lots until it happened to me lots, now I make a concerted effort to not do this, or at a minimum I will put the caller on hold and at least say hello or thank you to the person ringing me out. The worse however is when poeple go to pick up their kids who have been in daycare all day and they are on the phone. The kid is soo excited to see the parent whose been away all day and the first thing the parents will do is shush them cause they are on the phone. (have been guilty of this too but try real hard not to do this)

Claus said...

*I don't get why people have to be constantly communicating. Can't they ever be alone with their thoughts?*
Totally agree there! What is it that can't wait?! And worst of all, people on their phones while in a meeting, in a restaurant with friends...it's very rude!

Diana, Sex and the City, cooking shows...though not "crazy", I have to confess I did know who Diana was and all the "drama" with the Royal Family (I blame my mom, who likes to read about European royalty for some reason). I watched a few episodes of Sex and the City when it came to HBO Latin America, and liked the bond between friends. Have seen the first movie, but only when it made it to cable, so I was not crazy and loud trying to be the first one at the movie theatre. And cooking shows...I have no idea why I like seeing some shows!! (with nice people ;-), especially those about Mexican food, vegetarian food, and desserts!! Maybe because I can't cook and like to imagine I can? I don't know...one of those things I too don't get :-))

have a great day!!

Janet said...

I love those old French Chef shows...watched them growing up and love rewatching them now. There are only a few shows I like on FoodTv...one of them is What's The Best Thing You Ever Ate?

I love being alone with my thoughts...and when I walk my dogs I definitely don't want to be distracted by my cell.

I do love texting, tho!

cheatymoon said...

My phone has my music on it, so when I'm listening to music for a walk... it is w/ my phone. And I text. I don't mind it at all, but while driving? Notsosmart.

I also don't mind SITC - I think you might like it. It's a good guilty pleasure girly girl show.

It's a bummer when the dentist waiting room has bad magazine.

Arty said...

Ha ha Tina. You have your way with blogs. :)
I haven't seen the movie 'Sex In the City' but I have a couple of episodes and I can say I enjoyed them very much. They can be funny.

I find such a dependence on cell phones annoying also. More so when a 'child' has one. There should be a law against that lol

I hope you enjoy your weekend Tina :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh I love you more!
These are all of my rants.
(see blog on Valerie I wrote last week)

I could make this very long but I won't.
I agree with everything even though I watched SITC when on HBO.
Phenom? I don't get that part.
Princess Di? I think it was the first time that someone didn't look like,(gee how do I say this delicately?)... a horse in the royal family and that was the biggie. Rude you say? Yes, but I do think that Di was not beautiful but compared to the royal family she sure as hell was. Her style did evolve and in her later years when no longer married she dressed far better.

How is that for a snarky reason?

cessie said...

I found the Elle Magazine (and Cosmopolitan and Vogue etc) in the waiting room today and I was thinking of you ;)
I so didn't have interest in all of those magazines lol.
I was just browsing through them without finding anything I wanted to read thoroughly...
Ah well, in normal life I don't need to so I shouldn't be bothered right ;)
Have a great week!

saiyamei said...

I totally agree with you on what you wrote, Tina. Soooo well put.
Cell phones and loud conversations: I sometimes get the feeling that people are so desperate to get attention from others that they'll go to any lengths to get it. I don't think that they want communication at all because most of what they talk about is quite superficial. I think there are simply too many lonely people in this world of technology.
I also get customers walking in the coffeeshop while still on their phones and looking at me as if I knew what they wanted. Sure, they want coffee but how the want it (and we don't have the wide selection you have in the US). Sometimes I felt like telling them that I still haven't managed to master telepathy. It IS plain rude just they way the ignore people around them. Many don't even say hello or goodbye.
Diana, I have no idea what made it so popular either. It was shocking to hear how she died because of the papparazzi's harrassment (I really hate those papparazzi and what they represent) but, like any other royal person in the world, they are very detached from real life, and I don't find them fascinating at all.
SITC, I watched a few episodes but didn't grab me. I've never been into shopping, especially stuff that's out of my budget. I'm not into designers, brands, etc. And´although they did deal with treats we women all have and emotions we feel, the fashion world seemed to have a very important role in it.
But, like you said, each to their own.

Carole Poirot said...

YAY! Great to be back from my break and read all this. So funny and entertaining and true!

I don't get the mobile (cell phone in your country) thing either, I use mine as discretely as possible if I really have to.

Don't get the Diana thing...nope, not at all.

Love some cook shows, but since I have the attention span of a fruit fly, I get bored after about 3 episodes (though Jamie Oliver's travels are fun)

I have to say I love SITC...the fashion, the glamour (pure escapism) the whole girlie thing, maybe I'm just missing my own friends though :-)

I guess that as long as it doesn't actually intrude into other's lifes (which the cell does) it's ok to like things others "don't get" - and no, my boyfriend doesn't get blogging either ;-)

Anastasia said...

I always wait at least an hour at my dentist's even after I have made an appointment! And I don't get this! IN Switzerland I never had to wait at the dentist's. I can't take marking with me because I often feel out of focus in that waiting room! The other day a mother and daughter had a terrible row in the waiting room. Another lady had asked us to keep an eye on her baby while she was in with the dentist. So, I'd rather have a look on the TV up on the wall...

Content in a Cottage said...

Tina...You and I don't "get" many of the same things. Stop by my blog to collect your Sunshine Award. Rosemary

Susan Freeman said...

I followed you over here from Rosemary's Content in a Cottage. This is my first visit and now I know why she is an admirer of yours. Love your ramblings and I agree with some of them. I never understood the Princess Di fascination either. I find cell phones intrusive and am so very tired of hearing conversations about all too personal issues spoken loudly enough so that every poor soul in ear shot can hear. And ... what happened to civility? Since when has rudeness become an acceptable character trait? You are the first person I have met recently who likes Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle! I was beginning to think I was all alone.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Unknown said...

I agree with the cell phone usage, I get annoyed if I am out with girlfriends and they have to text or answer their phones, like it doesn't take messages??!! I also hate the people that use the two way and have the other party on speaker so everyone can hear their conversation. so low class to me. their is a way to mute the two way so you don't hear the other party people!!

as for the putting pics in frames, put it on your price list, and then say here is the charge for that service.

ta da! done!!