Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beavertail Sunset

Some images captured from a family--my brother's visiting family, my parents, and my daughter's boyfriend included--picnic at my favorite place to catch the sun going down--at Beavertail on the island of Conanicut.

The Beavertail Lighthouse (more about the lighthouse here) sits on a "beaver tail" shaped spit of land that juts out into Narragansett Bay, across from Newport on one side of the bay and directly across from where I live on the other(western) side of the bay. The lighthouse is one of the oldest in the country, having been built first in 1749, and was rebuilt numerous times. The earlier wooden ones were destroyed(by fire from British troops in the Revolutionary War, and by hurricanes and storms) before the present lighthouse was built in 1856 out of granite. Guess someone finally figured out that a lighthouse made out of stone rather than wood might be best.
There is a state park there(153 acres) with grassy areas(perfect for Frisbee) and miles of rocky shoreline to explore.
































13 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

postcards, everyone of them. you should make a coffee table photo book from all of your pics. they're really gorgeous!

Manders said...

I agree with creative!! These are all postcard worthy. Love the sunsets and the one of your daughter and her boyfriend is just cute!!

The Social Frog said...

Wow, such great pictures! Looks so beautiful, I'd love to visit.

Meg said...

How pretty!! I wish I were there!! Everyone who has said your pictures are postcard worthy are 100% correct! I love your pictures!!

Anastasia said...

I am hooked on your post! I've always loved sunset photos and I have taken a few snapshots of the sunset as seen through my lenses in various places I've visited. But none of them equals the beauty of the ones I can see here.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I concur with everyone - your area is so beautiful and a coffee table book of your photo's would be something I'd buy.

I'll trade you the 100's for your 80's and 90's. I am so miserable I am counting the days until October when it can be 70 degrees!

Zuzana said...

Beautiful images.;)) And what a stunning sky-sea. I love lighthouses, I like the fact that they show the sailors the way.,))
Have a lovely week and hopefully enjoying more beautiful scenery as you share here.;))
xoxo

Barb said...

oparsotorsubvYour photos show a magical place - I'm excited to experience and explore your nearby shoreline soon! The sunset and golden light in your photos are fabulous. Is it still extremely hot?

Claus said...

Beautiful point! and equally beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. it must have been, indeed, a perfect place to spend some time with family.
Enjoy your summer!

vdesheva said...

I agree with what all the other ladies have said - beautiful pictures, Tina!!!:) But my favourite is the first one - so cute and romantic!!!:)

cheatymoon said...

Gorgeous photos!!!! I really need to explore your area more. It's so beautiful down there.
xo

Kate said...

I will join in and repeat what everyone else has said... Beautiful photos! The light is gorgeous, it looks like a magical place. I love the frisbee one!

cessie said...

Great images, looks like a relaxing picnic at a great place :))
Can imagine it is your favorite place to catch the sun going down. I guess I told you more than once already but you really seem to live in a special area :)