Thursday, July 22, 2010

It isn't easy being Green....


...when it's so gosh darn HOT!

Yeah, we have an air conditioner(a newly purchased and very powerful one that pretty much cools down the entire house. I live in a small place.)and I am happier than I ever thought I would be, having one(ordinarily, I hate being cooped up with the A/C on and being cold and not fresh air). My husband loves the A/C even more than me. He gets warm very easily and has a hard time sleeping in the summer, even when I am perfectly fine on a mild night with the windows open.

But, still...I feel guilty about running one so often. I constantly think of all the other air conditioners and fans running in all the other homes and businesses and the enormous power usage(as well as the bill!). The connection between our comfort and energy use and way of life and .....disastrous oil spills in the ocean is all too clear to me.
Still, having the A/C was a godsend to us.
We had company stay with us for four days and it was smoking hot the entire time, so in order that our guests(my brother and his wife and their two small children) were comfortable here with us, especially at night in bed, we had that machine running almost non-stop.


In summers past in this house, we had an older one that did kind of a poor job of cooling down the place, but we rarely had to turn it on(maybe a full seven days in the entire summer), anyway.


But, since May(and even April) it has been hotter than usual. Before this summer, I thought we had the ideal summers here on the coast of Rhode Island-usually no higher than 85*F(25*C), and often a cool breeze, especially in the mornings. I would sip hot tea, sometimes with a sweater on, outside in the evenings. But there hasn't really been any of that kind of weather all summer, so far.


Today, at least, we were able to keep the windows open and not run that thing. I hear birds. And kids screaming as they whizz past our house on their bikes--there is a hill they coast on and it bottoms out right in front of our house.
There is a fan whirring away in the other room. I like that gentler noise better. It makes me think of summers past, especially when I was a kid. All we had were fans. And supper outdoors. Sometimes, in a heat wave, we slept down in the cellar, or outside, even. I don't really remember too many air-conditioned places growing up. Maybe the movie theatres were air conditioned. But even stores had these enormous fans , instead of air conditioning. There were open doors and windows in businesses. Now there are sealed up Big Box stores and malls with windows that don't open. So, air conditioning has to be used. And again, guiltily, but truthfully, I have to admit I love that frosty blast I feel as I walk into a business these days.
I wonder how it's been up in Camden, Maine lately. I'll always remember a week in July when I stayed near there (about seven years ago) and the town's grocery store with it's front door wide open, and the cold breeze off the harbor coming in the place. There was absolutely no need for even a fan in that place!
I am heading up north to the White Mountains in a few days. The weather report is suggesting we may get temps in the low 80's during the day and nights in the 50's(10*C). I really hope its true.

13 comments:

cheatymoon said...

My sister is going to the Land of Story and other assorted White Mountain attractions next week. I may drive over and meet up w/ her... Maybe we'll see each other from afar, T. :-)

I have a hand-me-down A/C that sort of does the trick. I feel the same as you about it. It's claustrophobic. Ack.

We were in Boothbay last week, and it was still hot. Though it was foggy and that was helpful.

Have a fabulous vacation! xo

Pseudo said...

I hope you post some photos from your trip!

Barb said...

Let's get your area cooled down by August, please! I'm not used to the heat. I think you'll find some cool in the White Mountains - good luck.

Zuzana said...

Glad to see you back.;))
Fortunately I LOVE heat. Even when living in the hot and humid south, my AC was put quiet high, just enough to keep the humidity away in order to avoid damp damage. What I enjoyed though (and miss now) were the ceiling fans, I love they way they gently move the air around, keeping the air quality so pleasant.
We have had heat waves here too, my house is close to 40C in the evenings (no AC, they are not common in Scandinavia) thus i am about to install a ceiling fan to keep it a bit cooler.;))
Enjoy the summer dear friend, you know it will be gone before we now it,
xoxo

creative kerfuffle said...

i want to be nice to the planet, but there is no way i could live w/out air conditioning. really. we have a heat advisory this weekend in nc. hot. hot. blech.

Claus said...

Hey summer gal!
Glad to learn you are enjoying the hot summer with the new A/C. Those homes that have air A/C here in Guatemala are those of the wealthy. We common ones still rely only on fans and open windows to freshen up in the hot summer days. Not these days, though. It's been raining daily, which has refreshed the environment. Nights are very cool, and a blanket has been needed :-) I wonder how the end of the year will be?

Did you know that when it is summer up north, gasoline suffers an increase down in Guatemala, and probably other countries from the middle down? It tuns out that the usage of A/C, the summer traveling, and other factors make it for a good business, and since the increase goes globally, it comes down to us as well. Curious how everything is connected, huh?

Keep enjoying the season! I hope you get good weather and temperatures during yout trip.

Manders said...

Living in Calgary, we do not have an air conditioner. That's not to say that tons of other people don't have them. They do. There is just not that much need, especially this summer. It has been wet and rainy so far, although that is supposed to change this week.

When I was in Ontario for camp, however, there would be NO WAY to live WITHOUT an air conditioner. So hot and humid. I would definitely indulge in one. (Albeit feeling guilty about the energy usage, etc. the whole time!)

Hope you have a fun time in the mountains!! Take lots of pics!!

SandraG said...

I do not feel guilty about the use of AC, although it is a huge expense. I get sick when it's this hot. The heat, humidity and haze of the summer actually makes me ill so we have had AC in every house we've lived in. This summer has been particularly brutal for people who suffer like I do. Older people without AC have a particularly hard time. I read somewhere that people with diabetes have a difficult time regulating their body temperature as well. At least with the cold, you can put on another sweater. You can only take off so many clothes when it's hot! :-)

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about feeling couped up with air conditioning.I dont love it but we NEED it.Its been awfully hot.I cant seem to think in my head that this summer will go on like this 90 plus degrees and very humid.Id love to move to Alsaka with the eskimos,lol.

Happy weekend!

Gal Friday said...

~Erin,
The weather is supposed to be nearly perfect in the White Mountain region next wee--so I hope you'll have agreat time with your sister's family while there, too!
Even hot on the coast of Maine(Boothbay), huh? This has been quite the summer so far(have the A/C running as I type)

~Pseudo,
Oh yeah...most likely I will! :-)

~Barb,
Crossing my fingers for you that things WILL cool down in August for your trip out this way. :-)


~Zuzana,
I love those ceiling fans, too! Although we currently don't have one in our home, we have thought of having one put in above our bed.

~c.k.,
How did we all "survive" without A/C??? I think we all moved much slower then....

~Claudia,
I was thinking of you, actually, as I wrote this entry, because I knew you had mentioned that not many in your country have air conditioning in the homes. I didn't know that about the increased fuel costs for you in the summer because of the "good business" the oil companies are doing in the summer months "up north"--*sigh* Maybe one day we'll be able to get away completely from relying on these oil companies.

~Amanda,
All I know is humid summers, I guess(although in summers past, as I wrote, with the cooling ocean air, we didn't really need an air conditioner)--maybe one day I'll experience that drier "western" air like your's.

~ Sandra,
I agree that it is easier to be comfortable in cold weather(just dress right) than in hot.
I spent a day at an aquarium last week with my brrother and his family, and while we were not outdoors too much, the heat of that day made me almost ill and I had to lie down when we got back home from there.
Try to remain cool! :-)

~Becky,
Alaska soundds VERY inviting right now(although, we'll be up in the mountains later today and cooler temps are expected there--can't WAIT for that!)

Anastasia said...

For me 10*C is freezing cold! We hardly ever get this temp on the southern coast of Cyprus throughout winter! Funny how the weather has been quite whimsy. In Larnaca it's only got 32*C right now while in Northern Greece where we've just spent a holiday, it was much hotter!! Just like your husband, I love A/C! Alkis, on the other hand, would rather sleep with the windows wide open. The problem here is that besides the birds singing we also have some unwelcome visitors such as cockroaches and mosquitoes!

cessie said...

Hmm I so know what you mean!! Back in Rotterdam in the apartment without A/C directly under the flat roof and with two walls of glass it's so hot in summer we spent most of our weekends outdoors to cool down.
Here in Shanghai an A/C is kind of normal and I didn't know what I would think of it but it's great. When walking out of the door the heat hits me in the face, it's incredibly steaming here and I know this probably will take months to come so I'm glad we do have a cool apartment.
But I also know that there are so many A/C's running everywhere and I feel guilty as well... but then again I'm thinking that I will only live here for two years and I only use it when it's really hot outside. Hopefully I will live in a less crowded steaming city after this ;)

Gal Friday said...

~Anastasia,
I am sure that you get some cooling breezes because you are near the sea, so can handle the heat in the summer months better. It was cold enough here last night to sip hot coffee and wear a sweater under the stars, thank goodness!


~Marcelle,
I suppose that A/C is like needed heat on in a house in the winter in a cold climate.
I know Europe(parts of it) has been hotter than usual this summer, but I hope while you were in Europe recently, that you at leastgot some respite from the "steamy" conditions in Shanghai.