I seriously think that is what my cat was thinking to himself this morning. Yep, we got an additional 8 to 10 inches overnight and into the early morning, and by the time I got up around 7:30(both school and work either cancelled or delayed for everyone in the house because of it), the snow had stopped, but...
Some heavy shovelling(unfortunately for my back, the snow was the wet kind) to make a path for the cat and dog so they can, er...do their morning "business" somewhere outdoors, without falling through the snow over their heads.
As soon as I get up, and even before I start the coffee, my dog and cat are right at the back door every morning, eager to get out and take care of their business, so I knew I had to take care of the snow situation for them first thing today. I wouldn't let either of them out until I made some sort of path for them in the snow. Without any fortifying breakfast yet in my belly, I was pretty wimpy out there and only got as far as a path cleared off the back deck, down the steps and then a small distance in two directions in the yard,
and I was done for the time being. I also knew the pets were dying to get out.
As soon as I got back in(after having taken a few photos), I let the critters out.
Pete the cat's response was dismayed surprise which quickly turned to feline crankiness.
He didn't even make it half way across the deck before turning around with this annoyed look on his face, and wanted right back in. I think he was really ticked off with the cold, white stuff. He got up on the couch to look out the front window right after being let in, his tail twitching. Which in cat-language means--"look out--I'm irritated".
Now, the dog's response to the discovery of yet another snowy morning was typical dog-behavior in comparison to the pissed off cat attitude. She went dashing out, then came to a tentative halt at the end of the deck right before the stairs and looked back at me with a look in her eyes that practically said, "Do I HAVE to go out in this..again?"
I told her, "Yes, Jewel, get down those stairs and go potty",
and she being a good little canine, sucked it up and complied with my order. She bravely trotted down the short path and then, as she always does, got off the path and into the deep snow, squatted down, sinking her butt into the cold stuff and made a little yellow spot. Then she came running right back to the door, all happy back inside --everything forgotten and cheerfully ready with a wagging tail(and cold wet butt and underside) for her breakfast.
Every morning--its the same old bowl of kibble and every morning, she is happy to eat it, as if it were the choicest cut of steak. Even if she has to go out in rain or snow, she is the same happy dog once again, back in and ready for her morning meal.
My breakfast this morning?
Two chocolate chip cookies and a cup of coffee.
I was at first ticked off and started to feel ornery with the world like my cat when I saw that the coffee canister was empty(I had forgotten to buy more at the store yesterday)!! And, then, I remembered that we had a bag of Dunkin Donuts Vanilla coffee in the freezer. It was a gift from one of John's students before Christmas, and we both don't like flavored coffee much, so it was stored in the freezer as a "back up plan" coffee. For days like this.
And, you know...even a flavored coffee is better than no coffee at all. And, combined with chocolate chip cookies(I had a mad craving for them and made a batch last night--something about a snowstorm always brings out the cooking and baking in me), it actually tasted just fine.

Later in the morning, Mr. F took it upon his brawny self to do most of the rest of the digging out(for well over an hour). The plows had created great walls of thick snow which had to be dealt with before any other shovelling of paths and driveways could be done. Somewhere, in the heap of snow above, is our mailbox.
And, just for the record, I did eventually eat something a little more healthy--some plain yogurt and chopped apples stirred in.

7 comments:
I think it looks lovely BUT I love the snow! I can't wait to get to Japan and do some outdoor winter stuff! My pups don't care for the snow to much, at least to potty in but will run around in it for a few mintues.
Love he image of Pete, yeah, I know the feeling.;))
I actually enjoy shoveling snow, if I have plenty of time. Doing it before gong to work is no fun.;)
I thought all dogs loved snow.;)
Do enjoy it though, I rather have snow that the dreary rain and grey weather which we have had last week. Now it has gotten colder, but so far no snow. I am not relaxing just yet though, we usually get hit by a major load in February-March, just when everyone is ready for spring.;)
Wishing you a happy Friday, Friday girl.;)
xoxo
this made me laugh. This is my life these days. And we ran out of coffee and had no back up and I swear my husband shrieked like a girl. He swears he didn't but i know what i heard. We flipped a coin to see who was going to go fetch some. I lost - i picked up some and stopped by the starbucks next door. So I brought home hot coffee as well as 15lbs of coffee to boot. No matter what he says damn it i'm a good wife. :-)
Wow you guys are really getting walloped with the white stuff there! We have been getting snow but it turns to rain and that takes care of that... not even a change to use the new shovels I purchased before the season (not that I'm complaining). I am however bitching and moaning about the cold -20 deg. temperatures we have been having lately... burrrrr! it's cold out there!
pete makes me laugh. our cats don't go outside but i'm pretty sure if they did they'd hate snow. the girl has taken them out on pet leashes before and they freak out when they step in the grass!
although i am not jealous of the tremendous amounts of snow it seems everyone got---i would like one more, tiny snow before spring takes hold here.
~c.k.,
I understand you about wanting at least one more coating of snow. It certainly makes the winter world look prettier than plain old mud and dead brown grass.
~Jack,
I don't know which is worse--heaps of snow and ice(especially the constant shovelling part) or when the temps dip into a deep freeze(like you were having when you commented). We also often get the cold/icy rain(since we live along the ocean, like you do) in winter--it is pretty miserable, but, at least there isn't any shovelling when that happens.
~Peg,
You ARE a good wife..I would have bitched and moaned until HE went out to get the coffee.
~Zuzana,
Yes, if you have the whole morning to shovel, it is kind of fun(and good exercise that warms you up!). As for Jewel liking the snow--she likes it well enough(especially likes to jump in after snow balls), but first thing in the morning, with cold snow falling down, it is a bit of a shock for her. I can't blame her for balking at it..
~RoseAnn,
I hope you get lots of lovely snow when you are in Japan--it'll maybe remind you of those Basho-type haiku poems. :-)
Post a Comment