Thursday, January 20, 2011

Here's Pete...

...the often overlooked cat
and also some assorted random thoughts for today.
I often feature posts about my dog here, but very infrequently do I mention my laid-back black and white fluffball of a cat, Pete.
Officially, its Peter-Sam, as my daughter was into Thomas The Tank when she was four and picked this kitten out of a newly born litter on a friend's farm back then(Peter Sam was her favorite engine, besides Thomas at that time). Because he and his brothers and sisters were handled by groping kid's hands from a very early age(three days old, I think), I think that is why he is the way he is to this day. Very friendly, he'll happily greet any guest in our house, friend or complete stranger, by going right up to them and jumping on their lap and purring. He has won over more than a few self-proclaimed feline-haters by his sweet nature. Pete's a little guy, too--not even ten pounds, so a very small male cat with a kitten-like face(even though he is close to 12 years old!).
I always say my vet should charge me less because he is so easy to deal with when I bring him in for a check-up. I have heard other cats in other rooms there, hissing and making scary cat noises, while Pete simply lies on the table, lets the vet poke and prod and doesn't say a peep or make any trouble. He even purrs when the vet and her assistant pet him. So, yeah, he's a good little cat, even though, as I said, he is often overlooked. Jewel, being a dog and more involved with us on a daily basis and needing and wanting more attention gets more of our attention. But every night, when we sit down on the couch to watch some TV, Pete is right there, looking for a lap or a spot on the couch next to us. Sometimes, he becomes so happy being on a lap and getting a little love, that he starts to drool! Awww....
*I also forgot to mention that Pete loves olives! He can smell them, even if they are on a pizza slice and will sit close to you, hoping for a nibble of black olive. Kalamata olives are his favorite(and mine, too).

As for my other random thoughts....

Since I decided to write a little about my overlooked favorite cat, I thought I should write about one of my overlooked favorite foods--coleslaw. Yes, coleslaw--that simple side dish made out of shredded raw cabbage(sometimes carrot added), vinegar, milk, mayo, sugar and pepper. I just love a good, freshly made coleslaw alongside my fish and chips dinner. If I make it at home, I am pretty much the only one who eagerly eats it and I'll eat bowls of it. It is strange, because I am a little squeamish about foods with vinegar and mayonnaise, usually, but coleslaw is the perfect combination of flavors and I feel bad because when I list favorite foods, I never seem to think of listing coleslaw. This only occurred to me a a few weeks ago, the last time I had fish and chips.

Did anyone see the photos of Michelle Obama at the state dinner from the other night(hosting China's leader)? The picture of her with the president on the Yahoo page this morning made me really take notice. She looked smashing in that off-the-shoulder red and back print dress. It really suited her and showed off those toned arms, of course. Her swept-up 'do was perfect for her face, as well.

More news that made me take notice this week was the news of Sargent Shriver's death yesterday. I always knew he was John F. Kennedy's brother-in-law, but never knew too much about him, so learned a few things this week(his involvement with founding the Peace Corps, for instance). But the thing that surprised me the most was that I just yesterday learned that his first name was actually Sargent! I just assumed that he was always being called a military "Sergeant" whenever I heard him being called that. Duh!


16 comments:

Unknown said...

precious kitty! I love coleslaw also. try it with raisins or apples in it. very good. last time I made it I just used the purple cabbage and raisins with Marzetti Southern Recipe Slaw Dressing.

Barb said...

Pete looks very handsome in his tux - and your table is very cheerful! I, too, am a fan of coleslaw, though I rarely make it. I do, however, have an easy recipe for broccoli slaw which is a hit with my family. Hope you're keeping warm there on the coast.

Zuzana said...

Oh, I love Pete! Just look at that face.;) So sweet and expressive.;) Yes he deserves more of your words indeed, look at him sitting at the table, asking: So what's for dinner folks?;)
So fun that he is so friendly too, not like Batcat, who is quiet reserved and picks his company with great care.;) I guess just like his mom.;)
As for coleslaw, it is my favorite side dish. I could eat it with everything and at any time.;))
Wishing you a great Friday Friday Girl.;))
xoxo

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

okay I am admitting something here - I have an enormous fear of cats. can't look at photo's even or there will be issues. So I skipped that part. Sorry Tina.

I too LOVE fresh coleslaw. Had it made in front of me at a bar on the beach in Destin florida one winter afternoon. Only 2 of us in the place. Bartender made this on a butcher block and then threw it on the plate and I thought - ooh this may not be good. OH MY. I was so wrong and now in love with fresh coleslaw!!

I read where Oscar DeLarenta is not happy with Michelle's clothing choices and all the American designers. I thought she looks marvelous and always does.

I got a giggle out of your Sargent Shriver notes. I think because I am a few years older I knew about him and all he's done. I just think that arm of the family was remarkable. Peace Corp, Special Olymipics, Job Corp, Head Start,and known as the leader of the War on Poverty back in the day. I admired this man and his wife a great deal.

Have a great weekend.

Manders said...

I wish I could cuddle up with Pete today. Feeling a little blue.

Love Michelle's fashion!! She is a classy gal!!

Hope you have a good weekend!!

Jack said...

I love Pete's little goatee ♥!

Pete looks like he is waiting for a plate of black olives in the third photo :)

Hope you have great weekend.

Gal Friday said...

Yay! Everyone who commented loves coleslaw, too!!! ;-)

~Doreen,
To me--raisins(?) added to coleslaw sounds weird, but that is probably because I am not too fond of raisins. I'll look out for that Marzetti dressing, though.

Barb,
Broccoli slaw? If you get a chance, please send me the recipe some time...
Yes, trying to stay warm here--we are in the middle of a deep freeze--temps in the single digits which is very unusual for us. Brrr....

~Zuzana,
Most of my other cats have always been more shy around guests(like Batcat), and Pete is the only one who behaves this way toward strangers.

~Peg,
I know..I know...I thought of you after I posted this entry--definiyely remembered your cat phobia. I was wondering how you would take it.
That coleslaw and the way you described the event on that beach in Florida makes me really want some!

~Amanda,
I really hope the blue mood is a thing of the past by now. Just a week until Disneywrld, right?

~Jack,
I never thought of Pete as having a "goatee", but now that you wrote that, that is all I can call it! It IS a goatee! ;-)

Arty said...

Your cat is adorable! I love fluffy cats. They're different in some way. I always thought you never had a cat but I guess I was wrong.

As for the over looked coleslaw, I never thought to add sugar to it. I will now :)

Gal Friday said...

~Thanks, Arty! It is so true, then, my cat gets overlooked and I have obviously barely mentioned him until now.
Add just a little bit of sugar to the coleslaw(when you mix up the milk, mayo and vinegar)--it works.

Carole Poirot said...

That's funny, it's like typical family dynamics where the "child" which is loud and a bit more naughty will get more attention than the one who is quiet and well behaved...Pete seems very sweet. As for the coleslaw, I have to admit that I buy mine ready-made, bit embarrassing but it does taste great... ;-) Love from London xo

cheatymoon said...

Late to the party - I am allergic to cats, but I really like them, and WISH I could have one.

A cat would be soothing these days.

Not a huge fan of cole slaw, but if it's super fresh and done right, I'll give it a try.

Off to look at State dinner photos.

xoxoxo

creative kerfuffle said...

aw..pete is so pretty! we have two black and white cats so i guess i'm partial to them. i can't believe i didn't know you had a cat! lol. funny that he likes olives. our boy cat likes lunch meat (ham, turkey) and comes running whenever a sandwich is being made. this is the girl's fault as she feeds him nibbles of meat. i also love coleslaw (and what a strange name when you think about it?) but have never made it myself. i should try.

Gal Friday said...

~Mlle. Poirot,
Precisely--the loudest child(or pet) does seem to get the most attention

~only,
Sorry about the cat allergy--and I am sure just looking at my cat's long, fluffy for must make your nose and eyes start to itch!

~c.k.
I am partial to not only black and white cats, but dogs, as well(Jewel has a little white spot on her chest and has one white paw).

Content in a Cottage said...

I brag and blog about Webster all the time while Tabitha is rarely mentioned. Your photos of Pete made me want to take my camera and focus on my cat. Thanks for the nudge. I think I have more snow that you do.

Anonymous said...

I'm a cat person and he is lovely! Hope that you are enjoying the snow!

Gal Friday said...

~Hey starrlife!
Thanks for visiting and leaving a nice comment about my cat. I am officially over enjoying the snow at this point(Feb. 9), I am afraid.