Thursday, February 10, 2011

13 Quotes...

* my suburban morning view from here... 6:30-ish , Feb. 9, 2010


Its Thursday again (seems I can only manage one blog post a week these days) and that means its Thursday 13, so....and I have a list of "13" once again, too:
13 favorite quotes that resonate with me and/or inspire me:

1. "If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance." ~Andrea Boydston


2. "There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one." ~Kazuo
Ishiguro

3. "I have the simplest of tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." ~ Oscar Wilde


4. "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." ~Twyla Tharp


5. "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso (I read this one in my teens and have remembered it ever since)


6. "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do." ~Edgar Degas


7. When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?" ~Howard Ikemoto

8. "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

9. "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Kahlil Gibran

10. "Dreams are free, so free your dreams." ~Astrid Alauda

11. "I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering." ~Steven Wright

12. "Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day." ~Author Unknown


13. "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


...and can I add a 14th?


Winter is nature's way of
saying, "Up yours." ~ Robert Byrne
*****

What’s the Thursday 13?
The Thursday 13 is a weekly meme with a simple theme: each Thursday you blog a list of 13 things. What kind of things? Any kind! Just come up with a list theme and run with it.

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

13 comments:

Claus said...

I really love #1 and #2. But #13, today, makes so much sense!!!! I needed that. I have the work blues...again!, and I don't feel happy. I'm just hoping for a better today.
Have a lovely day!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I like number one and twelve. I'm am a collector of quotes too. My husband told me a quote the other day that keeps sticking in my mind. He said, never take a knife to a gunfight. makes perfect sense.

Here's one of my faves: All kindhearted people are polite but not all polite people are kindhearted. (I guess this is when you have to rely on your intuition to tell the difference)

You have a beautiful view. Great photo!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This were such fun.
#14 made me laugh out loud - wasn't expecting that however I am feeling that.

creative kerfuffle said...

i might have to steal some of these for my quote collection : ) i think i have some of them already. love, love love this post!

Janet said...

Love them all, especially #7...#13 I have at work...I printed it on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper along with a picture of my friend's dog, Bailey, looking out the side window of a car.

Anonymous said...

I love quotes! And yours are awesome. A nice Thursday Thirteen.

Barb said...

These are all good but I'm definitely taking this advise: "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Also, I love the beautiful sunrise from your window!

Hazel said...

I love no. 3!

Zuzana said...

Love nr. 1 and 12.;) Probably because I feel a bit down today, it is nice to be reminded of the fact that I am lucky to just be alive.;)
Have a great Friday, Friday girl,
xoxo

cheatymoon said...

I keep missing your blog!
Hope you've had some fun snow days and are keeping warm....

Haven't been around much at all and barely posting at my new place. Take care. xo

Anonymous said...

Darn - meant to post w/ my other account. Not that it matters. Sorry about the double posts. Blogger doesn't like me much right now. ;-)

Unknown said...

I love love love 4, 5, 6, and 7. Its awesome that you are an drawing teacher. I am currently one class away from a drawing minor.

Do you have an online portfolio? You should link to it on my blog if you do. I will link to it (and this post of course) if I steal your daughters quote for my art and design blog.

I want to do art lessons with kids (or adults) so I am creating some simple lesson plans, mostly for me to use.

http://feliciafollum.blogspot.com/

cessie said...

First of all: I love the photo, you so captured the word dream in a pic :). It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Quotes #1 and 7 but #8 absolutely is my favorite! And I think #12 should be one to remember for everyone to not feel bad about ourselves ;)