There’s a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes.
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes.
- Emily Dickenson

Heading into March (only four more days of February left, after all...), I am heading into my least favorite time of the year and it is difficult for me to maintain my preferred rose-tinged glasses view of the world.
Today, driving home and viewing the worn out grey and shabby landscape though my car window, I felt as worn out and shabby as what I was seeing.
We have had some melting of snow, and yes, we can see the ground in places, but it is a dead and brown ground with not a green and growing thing in sight.
And there are dirty, almost blackened lumps of snow left, lining the roads.
The trees look beaten up, with huge branches snapped off from winter storms.
The pond I pass every day is still all frozen over and I miss seeing the pair of swans that usually are there(where do they go?).
The left-over Christmas lights and wreaths on some houses(including mine) that still delighted the eye and spirit in January, are looking sad and forlorn now.
I guess I never do well with "transition" months between the ending of seasons and the beginning of another-- late August I find depressing, as well.
I have also been in a personal funk lately--going through my usual "what have I done with my life" and not being able to be motivated to do much of anything. I think I am having hot flashes(always only at night, though), too. So I am entering a transition of my own.
I did pick up some seed packets today:
Johnny-Jump-Up's (Viola)
Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia)
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
Morning Glory
Lettuce
Carrots
and I think I'll at least start growing the Johnny-Jump-Up seeds on Tuesday(March 1st).
15 comments:
It's bizarre how time is flying and that March is on our doorsteps already!
"...it is difficult for me to maintain my preferred rose-tinged glasses view of the world". Beautifully put, also together with the broken glasses ;).
I know what you mean though... sometimes we are not able to keep our normally positive view positive... *sigh*
Transition times *are* hard, whatever they are!!
Sorry to read you are also in a personal funk (join the club ;), hope you will feel your inner and positive strength flowing back again!!
The seeds give a bit of a symbolic touch to this entry... also all about transition ;)
Take care T!!
X
Hugs to you!! Hopefully this transition into Spring won't be long...I, too, long for green grass and warmer days.
Sorry about the hot flashes...Blah!
Hugs to you!!
~Thank you SO very much, Marcelle--reading your comment really lifted my spirits. Sorry to learn we are both in this "club" right now, though.
I have a daytrip planned tomorrow--we are going to nearest Ikea. Maybe I'll have a brighter blog post after that.
~Amanda,
If anything, true spring takes even longer to show up where you live, so I should not complain too much. As for the hot flashes, they aren't so bad--I just wonder what else is in store for me as I grow older(with grace?).
Gal - May I suggest you look into bio-identical hormones. Best thing in the whole world I did for myself. I didn't even think I needed them. They are a wonder drug and not synthetic - not only the loss of hot flashes but the loss of feeling lost and it makes my transitions easier. Although personally in a funk right now...I see I have good company.
Is there anything better than the smell of fresh basil? Mmm....
this is a real ugly time of year here in Michigan also. like you mentioned, everything dead and brown. but we have been having much more sunshine and I have been hearing the birds chirping lately. Spring will be here soon Tina!!
Tee, can I join the club with you and Marcelle? Although I am doing a lot better I am still not the J I want to be. It is lovely to log onto the blogs of friends and feel the connection. You are someone whom I really admire - you are an amazing wife and mother - your family photos show the wonderful bond you, Mr F and R have. You are an incredible artist, superb writer and a wonderful, intelligent, funny warm friend. Tee - you rock!!!
xxxxx
Yep, changes are always difficult. I suppose it must be even harder if you are changing months, but not so much the weather. Planting seeds should cheer you up! The thought of having some green (much of it edible too!) is great! And if that doesn't help, grab your bags and come down here! It rained yesterday afternoon (!!!), but we've been having glorious weather. If only I could have some days off to really enjoy it...can't have it all, huh?!
hugs,
although the blue mood isn't fun, this was a beautifully worded post. your words are so descriptive...i can always "see" your landscape and that's one of the things i love about your posts : )
I started hot flashes when I was 38 and continue them to this day (66). The DR says I'm one of the small percentage of women who will always have them. I've come to accept mine and don't get too "hot and bothered" when they occur. (Night ones sometimes wake me, but I usually can get back to sleep.) On the plus side, I feel upbeat and youthful most of the time - I'm often surprised when I look into the mirror and realize I'm of a certain age! Hope your weather gets warm soon. It's snowing here in Breck - again.
For Barb - we are the same age but I never did have hot flashes so you have my sincere sympathies. Nasty!
It is not even a transition season here. The temperature is up and down but rarely above freezing. We are starved for the colour of spring flowers. Even green (instead of brown) grass would bring relief but not yet.
Of course, my fall yesterday did not help my frame of mind at all. Ah well - -better days are coming!
Cheer up my Friday Girl - March is a great month.;) Maybe not the first half, but the second half is filed with so much promise! Sun will shine stronger and we can even sit outside for a while here and there, when the winds settle down. The spring flowers will start to bloom, the last snow will melt and the days will get so much lighter. It is time of expectations of so much beauty and it is the onset of the best time of the year.;)
So, please do not hate me when I say I LOVE March.;)
But I can relate to the last paragraph - I seem too to have entered a midlife crises of some sort and am contemplative, realizing that truly middle age is waiting just around the corner. But I have decided to just stare back at its ugly face and laugh my head off.;)) Hehe.;)As I am a firm believer that the best is still yet to come.;)
Have a lovely week dear friend,
xoxo
I hate transition months too... too messy!
I love the idea of starting your seeds inside. I think I will have to borrow your idea :)
{Hugs} to you. We will all get though Mess March together!
I hate this time of year too. It is always too abrupt for me. I don't feel ready to be in the light...
Ugh. And girl transition? Not. Fun.
I've missed you! Hope you're keeping warm and cozy - it's windy up here.
xo
Even though it is days later, I just wanted to mention how good all the comments left by you wonderful lot made me feel. I am not so alone in my March Melancholy.
As for the hot flashes--they weren't all that bad--just kind of shocked that I was having them(only always at night) once I figured out what was going on. I have not had them for a few weeks now(could it be the Omega 3 fish oil and Calcium/Magnesuium I started taking?) and am feeling pretty much like the same old me.
Julia, your comment made me cry(the good kind of cry, tho) when I read it that day--I should have told you sooner.
Erin,
Yeah, we had some wicked wind yesterday, too, but now it has calmed down and there is a little light at the end of the tunnel(April).
Post a Comment