Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday Randoms

Late this afternoon, I began to finally write a blog entry while I had a free hour, sitting down with a still warm churro(straight from the Mexican place in nearby Wakefield) in hand and a freshly brewed cup of coffee. A treat for me on a sort of treat-filled-day. I don't usually drink coffee at any other time of day aside from my hastily gulped cup-and-a-half in the morning here at home before work.
But with a warm-from-the-oven churro and a free hour and the nagging thought I had all day that I needed and wanted to blog again(after yet another long gap between entries), I felt I owed myself such an indulgence. Which seemed wholly appropriate on Fat Tuesday.

While indulging myself today, I didn't feel entirely at ease and happy though, since my daughter found out today, that she didn't get the summer job at the town beach she applied for a few weeks back. Which she REALLY wanted. It didn't help matters, either, that a mean girl-type "frenemy" of hers from school did get the position. If there were any way I could put my daughter in a safe little bubble to float through life--to save her from life's disappointments and let-downs, I really wish I could do it. Of course, I know there will be more disappointments and possible "mean girls" in her life to come, and all I can wish for her is the right attitude to keep on going.

After learning she didn't get hired, she was off to yet another rehearsal for a musical play she is in(Sondheim's "Into The Woods", in which she is cast against type as the Evil Step-Mother), and I could not stop thinking of how she was doing and hoping she was able to concentrate on her lines and keep her mind off the "job".
We'll talk about plans B,C, D and beyond, as far as summer employment goes, later this week. The kid has a lot on her plate lately, anyway, with homework and keeping up her grades in school, rehearsals for the play, rehearsals and performance for All-State Chorus in a week and then driver's ed classes at the end of the month(three weekends of 6 1/2 hour days for three straight weeks). Phew!

So..its International Woman's Day today--the 100th anniversary. 2011 is the Global Centenary Year for International Women's Day, which began in 1911.

And to commemorate the day,
I had my annual gyno exam today. ;-)

After the "feet-in-the-stirrups" fun, I hit the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's stores that are near my doctor's office. We don't have any near where I live, so it's almost like an event for me to shop in those food stores.
Don't laugh--there are people who drive miles to shop at some of these stores, as I found out while I was shopping in the breakfast cereals section in Trader Joe's. I overheard a man saying he drove in all the way from somewhere in Massachusetts to stock up on TJ's fare!
I have decided Whole Foods is a l-i-t-t-l-e too expensive for me. I cannot imagine shopping for the majority of my food staples there. I am definitely more of a Trader Joe's gal. In Whole Foods, I feel like I am in a museum or upscale boutique and the plethora of organic and "all natural" food and body care products is mind-boggling! The aisle with just organic chocolate bars astounds me, for example. Because this was my "treat filled" day, I bought some bars of Bubble Chocolate and Lake Champlain chocolate,
and also bought a five dollar bar of soap.
Which is pretty crazy, because we do not need soap. We already have bars and bars of it at home. Because I am a sucker for those fine triple milled , fragranced soaps, preferring bar soap always over liquid "body washes". So, I have bars of Italian and French soaps tucked away in my dresser drawers, but had to buy this one Pacifica lilac soap from Whole Foods. I could not stop sniffing the bar inside the box in the store, and even on the drive back home, I kept reaching into the bag on the car seat beside me to pull it out and take another whiff. I'm a lilac soap sniff-aholic. It's so true to what lilac really smells like!

On the back of the box that holds the soap, it reads:

The beloved lilac, fresh, green and jasmine-like, is blended with heliotrope and subtle notes of nectarine. A symbol of the first emotions of spring: love, innocence, and purity.


Pacifica's beautifully natural soap is handmade using a proprietary biodegradable, vegan, vegetable oil and glycerin soap base, ground almond meal and Pacifica's own perfume blend with natural and essential oils including ylang ylang and oakmoss.

I cannot wait to use this in the shower, but a part of me just wants to keep it in the box and on hand for when I need a lift. I don't know why I enjoy simply smelling this bar of soap. But, as it turns out, it isn't just me--I stuck it under Mr. F's nose when he got home and he had the same reaction. Surely, one of the most heavenly scents in the world is the scent of lilacs, and this soap captures it perfectly.
I have been having "celebrity-themed" dreams lately. Sunday morning I woke up, remembering a dream about me sneaking in late and inappropriately dressed for a yoga class(I tried to pull on a tank top and yoga pants at the back of the class before the instructor noticed). The instructor was....Martha Stewart! Because I was having a difficult time putting on the Martha-approved uniform of black tank top and yoga pants, I looked around for a dressing room so I could change in privacy and I could see three to four different doors leading to other rooms, all partly closed, and all were occupied by other women. There are certainly some inadequacies-as-a-woman issues in that dream, I just know it.


Here's my other dream of note: last night it starred...Bono (from U2, if you are wondering which Bono). In this dream, I was seated in a club--an actual bar/club I go to, but of course, it wasn't quite the same in the dream. It almost had the look and feel of being in someones panelled basement rec room. It was loud and crowded, with everyone in the place seated at round table, facing a stage where there was a PTO-type Mom up there addressing the crowd. It might have been some kind of fund-raiser. But I wasn't paying attention. Instead I was thinking and talking about food and I started to tell the people seated around MY table about Greek Meatballs(keftethes), and there was Bono(!) asking me about these Greek Meatballs and how he would love to try my meatballs and did I know the recipe. And I wrote it down in green marker on a piece of paper and gave it to him and he seemed very excited about it.


I can understand that I dreamt of food and meatball recipes, since I am giving up meat for Lent. We are in no way religious in this house, but for some reason R had said a few months ago, that she was going to give up eating meat for Lent. I thought she had forgotten about it, but she brought it up again last week, and it looks like I'll have to join her, since it'll be that much easier cooking if we are all on the same page(mr. F will just have to go along with the menu). We don't eat much meat as it is anyway, and luckily, R likes bean dishes, and veggie burgers and omelets...so...it is do-able. But, I just know one of us is going to break down and sneak some meat at some point in those 40 days and I have a feeling my downfall will be bacon. But, we are up to the challenge.

But I can't understand why Bono would show up in a dream of mine, though. Martha, I can see--she was on Conan the other night and I kind of like the old girl(although in real life, I know she would simply frighten me if we were to meet).

One more random thought, about another indulgent treat today:

I finally had my day off, sitting in the sun! Usually, in other years when we have had milder winters, there has always been that one glorious February day when it got warm enough on our south-facing back porch, where I would get to sit outside(wearing a light jacket, still) on a chair for the first time(since the fall) with my lunch and my dog lying at my side, luxuriating in the warmth of the sun. But this year, with a harsher winter and colder temps, and snow still covering the back deck, there was no day in February like that. This year, it arrived, finally , a few weeks later, and at least it was on my day off. I kept saying to myself that in ten minutes, no more, I had to get up and go inside and take care of some house chores, but...I just.. could... not do it. I felt drugged underneath the rays of that sunshine. I heard woodpeckers hammering away on trees(a true sign of early spring), happy bird song(in fact, these last few days, I was surprised to finally be woken up by birdsong once again), and noticed little pointed green shoots of tulip and daffodil bulbs poking up in places in my yard where I saw nothing just few days ago.

*Update: Oh good heavens! I just noticed that I mispelled the title to this entry as Ramdoms instead of "randoms"(corrected now). I truly feel I have lost my writing skills(not that I had that many to begin with--I know my grammar has always been b-a-a-a-d, the more often I take these extended breaks from regualr blogging. It isn't always like riding a bicycle.



6 comments:

Barb said...

Well, now I must walk to Whole Foods tomorrow and ask about the Lilac soap, since that is one of my favorite scents. (I'm in Denver at the moment and we have a WF about a mile from us.) I suggest that you make meatballs in yoga attire as soon as Lent is over. Good Luck to your Daughter in finding a summer job she will love. (And with her busy schedule.)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Do you have a Wegmann's up there? I can't afford Whole Foods and for some reason I find it pretentious. I adore Wegmann's and I find it pathetic that I love a grocery store in that way.

I believe your daughter is going to find a job that is even better!

I could never give up meat for 40 days. Okay, I could but I don't want to.

I'm off to find lilac soap now -

Claus said...

Every night, for a few nights now, I have gone to bed, focused on Joaquin Phoenix, hoping I will have a dream with him in it. I guess I haven't focused all that well, because no nice dreams with the handsome man just yet :o( How silly one can get!, but hey!, can you blame me? I've had the most awful weeks at work (a regular thing these days), no vacation time, and the most wonderful summer days "boxed" in an office. I need time off!! which I can't get any time soon, making me even more blue. But Bono? and Martha Stewart? At least they were not in the same dream! :o))
So sorry about Rachel's summer job? For a moment, I was in a movie!, the kind that makes it our way, where you see the mean girl getting her way, and making life a complicated for others. But hey!, they never win. I'm sure Rachel will find something. Perhaps even better!
Glad to have you back around blogland. When one's plate is full with real life happenings, it's not easy to find time for other things.
have a lovely day!

creative kerfuffle said...

good to hear from you! i understand your feelings of wanting to put r in a bubble and protect her from all the disappointments in the world---i feel the same way about my kids. it does sound like she's incredibly busy though. losing out to a frenemy is even worse though. blech!
that lilac soap sounds heavenly! i love lilacs but often find w/ lilac scented things it isn't a true lilac scent at all. i'll have to check out that soap!
interesting dreams--i'm always amazed at the details you can remember and share!

Janet said...

Have you tried Zum soap from Whole Foods? I LOVE it!!! Especially the lavendar rosemary one...it's dark purple, tho and will stain white washcloths, not that I care, but others might :-)

Gal Friday said...

~Janet,

I have never heard of Zum soap, but will be on the look-out(sniff-out?)for it the next time I go into Whole Foods.