
I mentally "jotted down" some happy things as I drove in to work this morning, and have remembered some more good things. In spite of it being yet another typical grey and ugly-looking March day, I was cheered by some things--auditory and visual, mostly. It turned out to be an easy-going day.
Here then, is today's happy list:
*1
two days after finding out she did not get chosen for a town beach job, my daughter is dealing with it okay after all. Already the next morning, she was talking about going to a few other places in town on Saturday morning to apply for summer positions. That's my girl!
*2
discovering that the last sesame bagel in the house was NOT eaten by R or Mr. F before they left the house, so I was able to have that as my breakfast with a second cup of coffee and relaxing a bit before I took off for work.
*3
not having to wear gloves OR a hat on my morning walk with Jewel through the neighborhood. After months of wrapping myself up to face the bitter cold and wind nearly every day it was SO enjoyable to simply throw a jacket on, walk slowly, not mind so much when the dog stopped to sniff and investigate some "pee-mail" left on a tuft of grass or mail box post.
*4
kids playing catch with a baseball and baseball mitts at the bus stop (a sure sign of spring)
*5
turning on the car's radio after starting up the car, and the song playing was "Kick Drum Heart" by The Avett Brothers--a perfect way to get me off and running on a work day! *6
seeing a swan couple slowly gliding along on the river as I crossed over it on the bridge--an unexpected serene and beautiful moment glimpsed as I sped along.
*7
spotting seven crows in a (still) bare maple tree alongside the road. At any other time, I might have considered their black silhouettes to be ominous, but I liked how they decorated the bare branches, as if they were waiting...for something good.
*8
laughing out loud at and also being further impressed by Chris Rock--I caught an interview with him on the radio this morning(listen here). I always liked him(just hearing his voice gets me wanting to laugh) and now I hold the guy in even higher esteem. Very smart, a seemingly great father and down-to-earth, and off course, wickedly funny. Yeah, his humor can be VERY raunchy and laced with profanities(in the past, Me. F and I have only been able to watch his comedy specials on cable TV when R was OUT of the house), but his humor is the RIGHT kind of raunchy. There are plenty of simply vulgar comedians out there--Rock is NOT vulgar for the sake of being vulgar even at his raunchiest. It was just so great to have him be the last thing I heard as I drove into the parking lot at work. This is how the interview ended:
Mr. ROCK: I'm the zebra. When I was a kid, I used to love Goofy. Now I am Goofy."Copyright © 2011 National Public Radio
*9
the good feeling of dealing with a potentially tough customer at work, rising to the challenge, doing excellent design work with her for the art she was framing and eliciting a wonderful compliment from her before she left(and spent over 500.00 !)
*10
A cup of hot jasmine tea as my treat after that customer left.
*11
NO cuts of any kind today while on the job! I often get at least one each day--I am always wearing a Band-Aid on one of my fingers. It comes with the territory--I get cuts from glass and picture wire, but most often from the sides of mats. Like amped up paper cuts. But, I escaped that today for a change.
*12
my sneezing, snorting, smiling dog to greet me when I got in from work. Yes, my dog does this excited routine where she sneezes and snorts while wiggling around , and actually smiles. She only does this for a few people who she REALLY likes. I know what she does, showing her teeth with her mouth upturned is not a true "smile" as humans do it, but it is only done when she is elated and excited and it certainly looks like a smile to me.
*13
its Thursday, so that means it is already Friday tomorrow--the week did manage to fly by after all...!
13 comments:
What a wonderful list of positive things. The swans sound beautiful, the crows in encouraging and Chris Rock is always hilarious. Thanks for sharing!
Happy TT,
~Xakara
13 Sleep Supplements
Dropping my wallet in a store and having it returned to me by a teenager! Seeing a swan would make my day!
I'm hoping the crows signal spring coming. Happy TT!
Oh how I loved this list! I too am enjoying not having to be bundled up like a mummy to walk my dog!
My dog wiggles, snorts and greets us with a smile so I believe Jewel does too. isn't it great? One day I went to get the mail as she slept and I came in to her wiggle butt and her snorts and she acted like I had been gone for a year. I laughed because it's rather nice to be so wonderfully greeted when you come home.
As for Chris Rock. I adore him. I have a saying, you can't be truly funny if you are not smart. He is smart and he is funny. There are a million dumb comedians and I use that term lightly. He is a smart man, a good man and I enjoy him immensely.
You had a great day. I am hoping for one soon. Oh wait, my birthday weekend was really nice. But now this week I feel like I'm paying for it. :-)
Looking for good usually brings a shower of happiness and satisfaction. Yippee for you! Have a great weekend - you deserve it.
Happy Friday my Friday girl as it is Friday here already.;))
Love to see a post from you and these are the best ones.;))
So many positive things - glad you need not to wear gloves, here it is still gloves time, but it is getting slowly better.;)
I hate paper cuts! They are of the worst kind and i have to be so careful with my hands as i work in a lab and i hate having opened wounds.;)
Have a lovely TGIF and weekend dear Tina (and thank you for your compliment on my writing - that sentiment goes both ways),
xoxo
A lovely post. I might steal it myself but make it a Friday 13!! I will keep my fingers crossed that R gets a *much* better job than her "frenemy*. Happy Friday Gal Friday! xxx
It's the little things, isn't it? Great list! Good for Rachel to handle life's disappointments the way she is. Good attitude. And Jewel...Lucas and Mateo always greet me oh so happily. It brightens my day, especially if it was a harsh one. How could one not feel happy?!
have a great weekend!
Love Chris Rock too. Recently saw a documentary (I think it was!!) about hair extensions and wigs from India. It was informative and so very funny! Thanks for dropping bymy little old blog.
Mary
Hi. Thanks for your comment on my blog. What creative way of finding new blogfriends - never thought of that one. Actually I have just re-read MFAOA (nothing like a wander in the fragrant Greek countryside to cheer up a damp March day in UK!) and I still love it. Enjoyed your list of happy things too; noticing life's small pleasures is so important.
~Xakara,
I was in a very positive mood on Thursday, yes, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
~Colleen,
Something like that(your wallet returned by a young adult) can make you feel so good and remind us that most human beings are truly good people.
~Brenda ND,
I hope you are right! ;-) Thanks for the visit and taking the time to comment.
~Peg,
I told my husband about what you wrote about your dog doing the sneezing and smiling thing--here we thought our dog so unique!
I am SO glad you are a C. Rock fan, too. And, I am very sorry I was so out of the loop here in Bloggerland and missed out on your birthday. It sounds like you celebrated right(I hope you have recovered by now).
~Barb,
I think I agree with you to some degree--you can help create your own good energy(and draw it to you) by looking for the good and the beautiful, but some days it isn't quite so easy.
~Zuzana,
I love your new profile pic these days!
If you hate paper cuts, just try to imagine a rigid paper mat(thicker) board cut--it hurts worse than being cut by glass.
And you completely deserved what I wrote about how you write--I can only express myself in one language, and you do it in a non-native language and write so beautifully in that language.
~Julia,
Thanks for the show of support for my girl--it means a lot. I have been "saving myself" some time to come on over and read your blog--I know I have missed a lot but will make up for lost time soon.
~Claus,
It is true, isn't it?! One can have the most terrible day and just coming home to that pure canine adoration sweeps it all away. I can't imagine what the greeting must be like by TWO happy dogs, though! :-)
~Mary,
Ahhh...yet another Chris Rock fan! :-)
~Jennyfreckles,
I do that (searching out other bloggers who share my interests out of curiousity)from time to time--glad to have "found" you.
I reread MFAOA for the second time recently when I suggested it to my book club(everyone LOVED it), and the first time I read it, it was read aloud to my then ten year old daughter(it may have been the last book I read aloud to her, come to think of it).
I love the image you painted with your words in #7 :-) And Chris Rock is great!
I just read your post, so full of positive things. I'm glad the first signs of Spring can be see on that side of the world after such a tough winter. It cheers the soul. We have been having those signs for a while and even if it's still cold in the mornings on my way to work, I love to see the sun is rising when I get up. The days are getting longer...*big smile*
I hate those cuts too....although I get cut by bread!I never thought bread could be so treacherous!
Hope your week gets even better Tina.
Much love xxxAlma
Post a Comment