Monday, June 9, 2008

Summahtime....




..is really here!! Sexy bathing suit time!! (see above..yes, that's me in the middle, with my sister and mother standing by the shore of a Maine lake, eons ago)
We are in the middle of a heatwave, complete with sultry temps, thunderstorms and fans in every window. This is probably the earliest in a season we have had it be this hot. So...there was lots of hammock time under the shade of the cherry tree in the backyard this weekend, cook-outs , and just general lounging about. I did get over to Newport with the daughter earlier on Sat. morning to take in a movie (s) at the film festival (http://www.newportfilmfestival.com/2008/default.asp).
We had tickets for the Children's Shorts program, which is always a favorite for even "all growed up" me.


So...I'm feeling summery and have a little list of favorite things to do in summer. Anyone care to tell me their own Summer Top Ten??



10 Things You Love to Do in the Summertime

1) walk over from work, to the ice cream window at Friendly's and get a scoop of pistachio ice cream...for lunch!

2) go to Beavertail (http://www.jamestown-ri.info/RRBeavertail.htm) to clamber on the rocks on the hottest day and STILL be cold from the winds there!

3) make sun tea

4) drink ice-cold, frozen Del's Lemonade (http://www.dels.com/) from a Del's truck for an instant "brain-freezing", body air-conditioning blast of refreshment!

5) bob around in the cold Atlantic Ocean....ahhhh..(or alternatively, splash into a cold lake)

6) walk around barefoot and dressed in next to nothing

7) watch the bats come out at dusk from our back deck

8) sip sangria at the Fourth Of July party at The Harris's and then watch the town's fireworks display from their front yard.

9) take the ferry to Block Island

10) stop at the farm to buy sweet native corn and tomatoes on the way back from a day at the beach


*Gah!! I can't get the links (to Del's Frozen Lemonade, Beavertail, etc.) to work...still working out the kinks at my new blogging home..sorry!

4 comments:

cessie said...

Great entry! Feel lovely summery right now!
Love the old photo!!

A Children's shorts program...sounds soo interesting! Will have a look on the website later!

Bob around in the cold Atlantic Ocean...so tempting!!
And walking barefoot really reminds me of summer.
Will have to make my top ten...tonight! Will have to run now!

Princess and the Bear said...

Good idea about the summer things, I'll have a think about mine too :)

Didn't my e mail about blog links work? No ones answering my e mails so they are either not getting there or are just too boring to bother with hehehe

Claus said...

Such a nice picture! thanks for sharing.

At summertime (this year's was way too short), I love:
- to listen to bossa nova. Great, soft music for this time I think.
- Eat watermelon, pineapple and mango. It's their peek season, and they are everywhere.
- eat my tomato-mango salad!
- enjoy my annual weekend at the beach.
- stare at the flowers in my little gardens when they are in full bloom.
- listen to that "summer bird" that comes only for the season and that wakes me up every morning.

Enjoy your summertime Tina!

Anonymous said...

Great list, Tina!! :) They all sound good. I used to love to watch the bats in the evenings... it's been awhile now. Sadly, bat numbers are dwindling too... but I think I have to get out there at dusk and do this again soon!!