Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bittersweet Days

Yesterday was when I noticed and felt it was truly November. After a few windy rainstorms, the last of the leaves have been blown off the trees and most branches are now bare. Maybe a few red sumac leaves hanging on, and the stubborn brown oak leaves. The oak leaves are all over the ground now, and I can't even see the street!
For the most part, the trees have been denuded and once again you notice the things that were hidden under the lush green vines and vegetation, like the stone walls and smaller bushes you didn't realise were there all along.

The sky, even when blue, is a pale, washed out blue. So it really has that "waning days of autumn, fading gently into winter" feeling. I am not sad, though. It feels right and even though by March I will be miserably sick of the wintery grey deadness and cold, I am looking forward to the first snow and even some really chilly weather.

I took a walk this morning with Jewel, up at the playground and ball fields. The weak sun almost warmed my face and I needed gloves only towards the end of the walk. I try to expose my skin to some good vitamin D rays as much as I can.
Usually, I pick a few flowers for a small wild flower bouquet when I go there. This time I only was able to bring back a few branches of berries--bittersweet and shadberry and a black colored berry I should know the name of, but don't. The only flowers left along the fence by the soccer field were clumps of this small, bright yellow type which I don't know the name of. It sort of looks like a cross between a dandelion (but with a tighter head) and an aster. I tried looking it up in my trusty 1912 edition Field Guide Of American Wild Flowers, but couldn't find it. I think if I take a little more time, I will eventually find the description in there.

I made the Obama chili recipe over the weekend, and I have to say, while I am proud, proud that man is now our president-elect, his chili is ...meh. I ended up having to add more spices and even hot sauce at the table because that is one wimpy chili!
My friend 4streegrrl suggested I find some vegetable protein as a meat substitute, and I bought some Smart Ground and used that instead of ground meat. At first, it tasted disappointing to me--all I could taste was a wheaty, tabouli-like flavor. But as the chili simmered and developed flavor it must have seeped into the Smart Ground and it really was almost meaty (definitely had the right texture) and very tasty! The family liked the chili (they didn't mind it not having as much of a spicy kick, unlike me). I will certainly try that Smart Ground stuff again--maybe in tacos.

To continue on in the domestic way (what is wrong with me, and how long will this domesticity last? ), I am thinking of making some brownies and some apple-cranberry muffins (in the Rhode Island And Providence Cookbook, my new favorite cookbook, even just to read in bed before turning out the light!)today. The recipe suggests using Rhode Island Greening apples (nice and tart and hold up well in baking), but I don't think I know if I will find any. You would think, living in Rhode Island, that wouldn't be a problem, right?
Hey, they even have their own Wikipedia entry.
Oh, and can I say I am oh so proud of myself for having finally figured how to load multiple photos in a blog entry??!! I know in the past, that Claudia and Samantha (thanks, you two!) have written me and told me how, but I never tried it until now. It works!!




7 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Yippee! Multiple photos. Blogging...so much to learn.
I have no bittersweet. Yours is lovely. Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Hello there... Wow, I am surprised you didn't like the chili... LOL... OK, I admit I am wimpy when it comes to spicy foods. I do like the wimpy version of it... mild!!! :)

Glad you are getting into the spirit of the season. It's feeling too cold for me here already, and somehow I just have the seasonal blahs and I'm still just not in the mood for what is clearly coming! Most of the leaves came down around here last weekend too... piles of leaves everywhere, as everyone in the state (except me) was out raking and blowing leaves into piles. It's mostly bare trees now, and I too have noticed things you don't normally see... especially at the Celery Farm, where you can now see how close the houses actually are when you walk through the trails!

As always you make me hungry, speaking of brownies and muffins!! :) I'll bet you're a great cook!! I give you credit for being domestic at least sometimes... I don't even try!! I really should try a little bit.

Well, enjoy the rest of the week!!! *hugs* my friend!

Patricia said...

Last night it was the coldest night so far and I'm quite sure I'm not happy about it! Alas, winter kicks in! Yaaaay, you can post more photos on one post now!

4streegrrl said...

If that is it in the last photo, your dandelion/aster looks like Common Tansy to me.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/commtan.htm

http://www.weedsbc.ca/weed_desc/com_tansy.html

It is a European invasive/noxious weed in North America, quite aggressive and it takes over fields and natural ecosystems. So while it may look pretty, we yank it up and destroy whenever we see it!

Glad you enjoyed the chili with the 'fake meat'! ;) Remember, it will not be *exactly* like meat in taste or texture, and it may take some tweaking to cook it the way you like it. I don't use it much other than to placate my meat-eating friends. Vegetarians usually don't like to eat things that are similar to meat, because it defeats the purpose. ;)

Claus said...

Hey! multiple photos!! well done!

Ahhh the Autumn into winter phase...wouldn't know how it is at all! as you know, it does not exist here in hot Guatemala. Even when we had a little over a week of cold, chilly, windy weather, it's ridiculously HOT now :-( Reaching 32°C and then starts to cool off around 5-5:30 pm...feels like we are in our Summer (around March) and not November at all!

Janet said...

did you notice there's an awful lot of bittersweet this year?

Gal Friday said...

Janet,
it seems the normal amount to me, around here. I don't mind it(even though it is considered invasive) since there is always enough around for wreaths and bouquets..and I like the color(orange being afavorite color)