I am absolutely dumbfounded by what I just read in Yahoo news this morning. A few days ago, I had read in passing the little blurb about the woman who gave birth to eight(!) babies this week but didn't think much of it, other than, "Yikes! Better her than me!"Now I read that this woman already had six children before being given in vitro fetility treatment. AND..that she is unmarried. How does she handle it all? How do you relate to and nurture so many children at one time, I always wonder.
The grandmother (the octuplet's mother's mother) was interviewed and said that her daughter had always been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager.
To each her own and it's her life..yadda-yadda-yadda--but the mind boggles!
Make that 14: Octuplet mom already had 6 kids
By THOMAS WATKINS and LAURAN NEERGAARD, Associated Press Writers Thomas Watkins And Lauran Neergaard, Associated Press Writers – Sat Jan 31, 1:08 am ET
WHITTIER, Calif. – How in the world does a woman with six children get a fertility doctor to help her have more — eight more?
An ethical debate erupted Friday after it was learned that the Southern California woman who gave birth to octuplets this week had six children already.
Large multiple births "are presented on TV shows as a `Brady Bunch' moment. They're not," fumed Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. He noted the serious and sometimes lethal complications and crushing medical costs that often come with high-multiple births.
But Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg, who has fertility clinics in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York, countered: "Who am I to say that six is the limit? There are people who like to have big families."
Kaiser Permanente announced the mega-delivery Monday in Bellflower, with delighted doctors saying they had initially expected seven babies and were surprised when the cesarean section yielded an eighth.
Multiple births this big are considered impossible without fertility treatment, but the doctors who delivered the babies would not say whether 33-year-old Nadya Suleman had used fertility drugs or had embryos implanted in her womb.
However, the children's grandmother, Angela Suleman, told The Associated Press her daughter resorted to in vitro fertilization because "her fallopian tubes are plugged up" and she had trouble conceiving.
She said her daughter, who is unmarried, conceived all her children that way and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager.
Fourteen grandchildren later, Angela Suleman expects her daughter is finished with fertility treatment.
"It's over now," she said. "It has to be. It can't go on any longer. She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married. So she got the in vitro."
You can read the rest here. I have to go wake up my one sleeping beauty now. A mother's work is never done.
9 comments:
Wow...you posted some facts I did not know about this woman. Gave me a chuckle too. Thanks!
As log as she has the will and the energy to take care of all of the kids.;) They all need to be loved.
But I can not help but wonder if she really does all this for the right reasons.
Hope your Saturday is good.;))
~Rosemary,
Just after I posted this blog entry, I opened our Saturday paper (thin and far less nourishing than the bulging Sunday paper, but we get it just the same), the same story was in there, word for word the same as the Yahoo/AP News version.
~Protege,
I also don't want to judge, but there must be something a little off about this wman--how does she even have a life of her own, outside of her maternal one?
I am a booklover and I have always related to the saying "So many books, so little time". Maybe this woman's is "So many children to bear, so little time.."?
Yes, even here in snowbound Canada, this story appeared in our newspaper. I think this whole thing is a travesty. My mother was a single mom- not her own choice at all; she was a widow, and I know how hard it was for her. I also know how difficult it is to parent with only two children and a loving, supportive husband and father. This young woman needs a reality check and so does her mother, in my opinion.
Who is going to help look after those children - especially for the first three years? Even the wealthiest families would find feeding and clothing 14 children difficult. How much time and attention can the older youngsters expect to have now that there are 8 more vying for attention?
The doctors who allowed this woman to have fertility treatments knowing she already had 6 children and no spouse acted irresponsibly and should lose their licenses.
It kind of left me with a big ?? after I heard yesterday that she already had 6 kids. I am not going to judge her because we only know what the media reports and if she can take care of them, love them, and afford IVF, more power to her! I am the eldest of 9 kids in my family and I would never have it any other way.
I think this is CRAZY!! It is one thing to have 14 kids that are different ages and stages (like so many women did in the past)! Unfortunately this woman has them all at the same ages. I can't believe she was allowed to do this. CRAZY!
I read about this too and in my opinion I think this was a selfish and inconsiderate act on her behalf, even more so those who allowed this to happen considering the circumstances.
I do hope for the proper nurturing for all the babies however.
Trouble conceiving? She already had six! I don't get it.........???
Any kind of obsession is not normal to my mind. I couldn't help giggling but I think the woman didn't have all those children because she loved children but because she was obsessed with bearing children! I truly hope she can offer them all a very happy life.
Post a Comment