Wednesday, February 25, 2009

10 favorite things that begin with the letter S

Over a week ago, I was given the letter "S" for a favorite things tag by Protege and while I have had these things in my head for a while now, I hadn't yet put them down here on my blog. So, finally, my list of the first five favorite "S" things-- my part 1. (part 2 will follow...)
And if anyone wants a letter to create a list of favorites, just ask!

1. Solitude

***********
I am not an anti-social hermit, but I do like to have my time alone. And although I love a good party, getting together with a friend, and being with my small family, I also need my time to be by myself, in my own head and engrossed in my favorite solitary pursuits(painting, creating, reading --even sipping a cup of tea while looking out the window) I am never lonely, but feel perfectly happy by myself. And I can get really cranky and feel trapped if I don't get my "me" time.


2. Scarves
**************
I can never resist a patterned or colorful scarf and have an ever growing collection, somewhat neatly folded in a drawer. I love wearing one draped or tied around my neck--always adds just the right touch to whatever I am wearing. I just bought a turquoise fringed one over the weekend that happens to look great with a favorite brown jacket. Now, also, my daughter likes to wear scarves, so we keep sharing and borrowing each other's accessories.


3. Sangria
***********
I like to make and drink both the traditional red or the white type of Sangria often in the summer. It is meant to be sipped in a lawn chair and with friends. (I did find a recipe for a warm Sangria recently, though..so I might be able to enjoy it in winter, too)


4. Summer
*************
Summer is the time when one
sheds one's tensions with one's clothes,
and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit.
A few of those days and you can
become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world.
-- Ada Louise Huxtable
*******************
I think at least 85% of people would pick this season for a favorite "S" word. And not just because I am in the final push of winter and wanting those greener times to come. Summer is so simple--you roll out of bed, walk out of the house barefoot, pick flowers for the table or vegetables for the plate and can even have your breakfast outdoors with the birds. You don't need to spend any money to enjoy this season--get on a bike or in a canoe
-sleep outside in a tent
-grow your own food
-eat outdoors with friends (even better if there is a pitcher of Sangria).
Even if you have to work, the day seems longer and you can still enjoy the warm evening hours after,
by sitting outdoors (I like to watch the bats overhead at dusk from my back deck), taking a walk for an ice cream cone after dinner, or even a swim in the ocean(my preferred time to be at the beach, after most everyone has gone).


5. Sunday paper
***********
I like to be the first one up on a Sunday morning, so I can open the door and be the first one to bring in the fat Sunday newspaper and be the first one to read it with a cup of just brewed coffee ( in...solidtude). Sunday just wouldn't feel like Sunday without the big newspaper to read leisurely, creating a big mess, on the couch. Even as a child, I was the first to run out for the newspaper on Sunday, excited about the comics section and then eventually started reading the other sections as I got older. Sometimes I'll even go out later in the morning to buy the New York Times or Boston Globe to give myself even more to read(and really challenge myself by trying to fill in the NY Times crossword puzzle).



12 comments:

Basir Seerat's Photography. said...

very nice and beautiful

Anonymous said...

I love reading the Sunday Newspaper. I don't get it all that often anymore though, maybe because I have to go out to get it,lol. I did howeer get the New York Times Sunday Paper and enjoyed the book review. So far it is a great list of "s". I did this a little while back, my friend Trish had given me a "R".

sallymandy said...

Hi Gal,

I just found your blog over on Life, Work and Pleasure. Bewildered forty-something fits me, too. Thanks for the great words about summer. I can hardly wait.

I just finished a list of favorite T's.

Zuzana said...

Ah, you did so well!!! I am greatly impressed and I LOVE all your T's", they could have been mine. Can't wait to read part 2.;))
This was a lovely post.;)

Zuzana said...

Ok, sorry for the typo, I meant "S" of course.:P

SandraG said...

Seems like a good day to name your favourite "S" things. I'll try to remember to do it later. Glad you didn't pick "D"

Claus said...

Great selection! If I was given the letter S, most certainly solitude and summer would've been in my list, for almost all the reasons you give. Today we are having a beautiful beginning-of-summer morning, and reading your reasons to love the season made me stare at the window and the peaceful - still at this time of morning thank goodness - pretty sight. What I would give to be outdoors right now!

Content in a Cottage said...

I can just see you sipping a solitary sangria on a sleepy summer Sunday.

Scribe Girl said...

i LOVE your description of summer (as i sit working in sweats, drinking coffee, dreaming of warmer days).

Manders said...

Solitude...I love my "me" time, as well. Without it I start to feel closed in and depressed. Jonathan is worse than I am for this, though.

How wonderful that you can share things with your daughter. I hope Emma and I will do the same one day...

cheatymoon said...

I'm with you on solitude and summer. Actually, I'm with you on most of this.
There's a lot to be said about the joys of spending time alone and recognizing that it doesn't make you lonely. I love that.

vdesheva said...

Another wonderful blog entry!!!:) I could totally relate to what you had written about solitude and summer!!!:)