I am not a big fan of award shows usually, and don't think I have ever watched more than even a half hour straight of the Academy Awards. Most years I just go about doing something else in the house with it as background noise or I just go to bed and read about it the next day(and check out the best and worst red carpet fashions on line) . I am not a big movie person and not too impressed with the stars and the whole glittery Hollywood scene. There are hundreds and hundreds of otherwise more ordinary people everywhere around this world who should be honored for their actions and achievements in real life, in my view.But I think I will be watching most of the 81st Academy Award show tonight for two reasons.
One, I have actually seen five of the movies for which nominations were picked. Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, Wall-E, The Visitor, Rachel Getting Married--all excellent films! There have been plenty of years when I didn't see a single movie nominated, so the fact that I really saw five(!) of them amazes me. The second reason I am interested in watching the Oscars is that two actors with Rhode Island ties are nominated this year. Richard Jenkins is up for his role as lonely, repressed professor Walter Vale in the touching, very realistic The Visitor(highly recommended--all the actors were simply outstanding in it). Jenkins was with
Trinity Repertory Theater in Providence for years, but has also has had a career in TV(Six Feet Under) and films (Step Brothers, The Witches Of Eastwick). He still lives in the northern part of the state.
And nominated for Best Supporting Actress (for her short but memorable role in Doubt) is Viola Davis, who while born in South Carolina, moved as an infant to Central Falls here in RI with her family and went to school and college in this state. She was recently in Nights In Rodanthe with Diane Lane(which I still want to see) and has had a reoccurring role on TV's Law And Order; SVU. So you see...I can't help but be rooting for them to win(and they deserve it!!)
From the Providence Journal:
Oscar win would be a first for a Rhode Island actor
01:00 AM EST on Sunday, February 22, 2009
By Michael Janusonis , Journal Arts Writer , Providence Journal
If either Viola Davis or Richard Jenkins wins an Academy Award tonight, it will be the first time in the 81-year history of the Oscars that a Rhode Islander has been so honored for a top acting award.
Over the more than eight decades of Oscar giving, very few Rhode Islanders have even been nominated for any Oscar, let alone two in the same year. Neither Davis nor Jenkins is a native Rhode Islander, but both lived significant portions of their lives here.
James Conti is believed to be the only native Rhode Islander to ever win an Oscar; he won for best original musical score.
Davis was born in South Carolina, but came to Central Falls at the age of two months, graduated from Rhode Island College and honed her craft at Trinity Rep. Jenkins was born and grew up in Illinois, but has lived in the state since the early 1970s when he came to Trinity Rep. He was a mainstay on that stage for many years and served as the company’s artistic director for four.
Aside from the RI connections, tonight's award show should be really interesting , seeing who wins for Best Actress--Streep or Winslet? (I think they are two incredibly gifted actresses)
For Best actor? I think it is going to be Mickey Roarke, for some reason, even though it would be fantastic if Jenkins won.
Best Picture? Pretty sure it'll be Slumdog Millionaire. I'm all for that.
My predictions are always off, though.(although, I can safely assume Ledger will get the award for Best Supporting Actor) You can print out a ballot form from this site. I might even do that.
At any rate, I am going to just sit back with a glass of Spanish red wine tonight and hopefully remain awake to see the whole thing. Heard Hugh Jackman is the host--that ought to help keep me awake.
It's Blogthing time, too: What would you win an Oscar for? You Would Win Best Original Screenplay |
![]() You are insightful and expressive. You've always been a natural storyteller. You know how to hook an audience, entertain them, and surprise them at the end. Where people see everyday life, you see an engaging plot with interesting characters. You notice details that other people ignore. People you've only met once or twice live inside your head. |

13 comments:
I've always been a freak when it comes to movies, even though in the last few years I haven't had the time for it...I only watch HBO and other similar networks, I download movies ALL the time...anyway, you get the picture. I'm less interested in the trivia about actors/actresses though, I'm more interested in their performances.
This year I'd love to watch the Oscars, but I'll have to wake up at 3am (which I used to do in the past) but my schedule tomorrow starts at 8am and ends at 6pm so...I really can't do it. But I'm thinking I could get up at about 5:30 and still get to watch some of the show.
I've watched all the movies except "The Visitor", I couldn't find it on the internet. I really hope Kate Winslet wins, because she's done two amazing performances both in "Revolutionary Road" and "The Reader". Micky Rourke should absolutely win too, "The Wrester" was excellent. I loved "Slumdog Millionaire", I even found most of the songs that I liked from the soundtrack. It's so different, and it made me feel so alive. Truly. And now the quiz:
Oh, I too would win for best screenplay...no wonders here lol.
Oh and I had quite a few laughs watching "Troping Thunder" (Robert Downey Jr" - best supporting role.
Pati,
You are REALLY a movie freak if you are STILL considering getting up at 5:30 to see some of the show. If you do, I say you'll be drinking about six cups of coffee throughout the day to keep you going. ;-)
I am so torn over Streep or Winslet winning.
As for "Slumdog", I feel the same way you do--it was one of the best nights out at the cinema when I saw that film.(you have reminded me that I must get the soundtrack)
I haven't been to a movie in a really long time, but may tune in for a bit tonight. How nice for you to have a local connection to the Awards! Hope your people do well.
I love movies but rarely see them in the theater. DVDs at home are my preference. You definitely have my vote for best screenplay in the BlogAwards Oscars!
I haven't seen any of these movies and I am so bummed out. I really would like to see Slumdog Millionaire.
I'd like to see Rachel Getting Married...but I don't feel like going out today. Isn't that horrible?
I got the same as you on the test :-)
I do not watch the Oscars as they are send late at night here, actually more like early in the morning.
I hope you will have a nice evening watching.;)))
I was going to post the same quiz tomorrow, hehe. I think I will not now.;)))
My result was Best Costume.;))
Have a great Oscar Night!;)
Meryl Streep has one "flaw": she's too good in everything that she does and the audience is accustomed to it so...it's rather predictable they award a new "entry" like Kate Winslet who's so much some other acctess than she was before in these two movies. I liked "Doubt" very much, all three main actors were brilliant. But I think she'll lose on the consideration that she had already won twice (I think) while Kate has always been just a nominee.
Here's the video for "Paper Planes" - Mia, from Slumdog Millionaire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HQGvSqZ5I
I normally pay no attention to these things, not sure if I will as I have not watched much movies, only documentaries. Oh well. I might turn it on but hubby should be home from work then and I know he does not care for these things. It is a small world, I have never know of an actor or actress from where I grew up, Central Falls. Have a happy day :)
You Would Win Best Documentary Feature
You are very curious about and engaged with the world. Everyone is interesting to you.
You have a variety of interests, and you delve into them quite deeply.
People are impressed by the sheer quantity of stuff you know, and you're learning more every day.
However, you're not just informed. You also are very informative. You share what you know in an engaging and interesting way.
This was fun!! Guess it does sound somewhat like me.
I'm really satisfied with the Academy's choices. Good morning!:)
Joanne,
Well, only a few of my "predictions" were right, but I think even to be nominated is a big thing.
Rosemary,
I also rarely go to the cinema, but this year, my bookclub friends and also my sister made sure I got out to see some movies for a change. I even saw one movie out(Doubt) with the husband.
Only,
I am sure Slumdog will have an extended run in the cinemas now that it won so many Oscars. Hope you get to see it on the big screen...
Janet,
Not so horrible--it was wet and cold here yesterday and I was glad to have never stepped foot out of the house(husband even walked the dog) "Rachel..." was a powerhouse of a movie, PLUS it had Robyn Hitchcock in towards the end!
Protege,
Oh...you could have posted the same quiz! At any rate--your result seems rather accurate, do you think?
Pati,
You were right--Winslet won. I was excited about it, after all(her acceptance speech was so happy!)and truly don't think Ms. Streep cared too much if she lost. Yes, I feel "satisfied" with the Awards this year, too. Loved that the high wire walker, Petit, from "Man On A Wire" came on stage with his antics, too.
Roseann,
Yes, amazing that someone from little Central Falls has made it to being nomnated for Best Actress(Davis will go far, I just know it).
Doreen,
Yes, I would say the result is right for you! :-)
You got it right this time! Your guess for best picture picked up the award. Good for them!, though I haven't seen the movie yet; hasn't come to Guatemala. I was glad Ms. Winslet won. Not only is she talented, but she seems like down to earth. I like to see the red carpet, to appreciate the dresses and see how beautiful both men and women look.
Post a Comment