Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Big Melt

I can barely keep myself indoors this weekend because of the spring weather! Compare this (sunny with highs of 60*F/16*C) to exactly a week ago when it was below freezing and we were in the midst of a blizzard of snow. The melting had already begun when I took these pictures at 9:00 yesterday morning at the park. Let's just say my feet got a little soggy on this walk with the dog. It was either slush like in the photo, or mucky mud, or extremely squishy grass.
Not much color in the way of growing things still, except for some buds on trees (and the pussy willows aren't out yet). I always love the patina green color of the lichen on the rocks which is always more noticeable in winter when it is so bare otherwise.

Jewel eyeing the robins that were all over the field. I also swear I spotted two red-winged blackbirds at the very top of a tree and that is really a sign of spring if they are back!



A memorial garden for a local girl who was killed in a drunken driving accident. It'll be a beautiful spot to sit once the flowers and bushes are in bloom here, but the metal gate is striking, too.




















12 comments:

Zuzana said...

Glad to hear that spring is arriving! What a difference a week can make, right.;)) Lovely shots of the last traces of winter.
Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog yesterday, my parents really appreciated it.;))
I hope your sunny Sunday will be great.;)) I know I owe you an emial, I will try to get to it asap.;) I have just been hibernating the whole weekend.
xoxo
Z

Meg said...

Yay for Spring! If the robins and red-winged black birds are visible, that's a sure sign that Spring is here! :)

I hope you're enjoying your weather.

sallymandy said...

Hi! Thanks for the photos from where you live. I always like seeing people's environments. It makes you more "real."

It looks like that in Montana, too. Same receding patches of snow, same color grass, same red wing blackbirds returning.

Hope it lasts...!

Anonymous said...

We're also beginning to enjoy some warmer weather, about 22*C during the day and 12*C at night. The almond trees are in full bloom over here and I so wish I didn't suffer from hay fever! This is the only reason why I hate Spring!But I won't take medication! Thank you for sharing these lovely photos of the snow melting away. Thanks to your beautiful calendar and the great photos of Richard Benjamin, I feel I know Rhode Island much better now. This month it's the Channel Surfer.

Unknown said...

Yes I agree.....Spring is finally on it's way. It has been raining like crazy here in Michigan for the last two days.

great post and love the photos.

4streegrrl said...

um, yeah, spring. What's that again??

MINUE 22 to 29*C overnight here, with -36*C windchills. Not too much of a melt happening here anytime soon, I'm afraid! And to think I bought some spring bulbs yesterday... I wonder when the snow will be gone and the earth will be thaw enough to plant. Late May, perhaps??

Nice to see your photos, though. Enjoy your fine weather, my dear! :)

Joanne said...

I went out walking today, too. It's amazing how squishy that grass can be! Pretty memorial there, how sad though to have something so beautiful rise from tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some great pictures :) I spent almost all of this weekend outside. I need to get some posts up about my weekend, it was busy. It looks like your weekends are starting to get warmer :)

cheatymoon said...

Love that gate. Thanks for sharing your photos.

We're warming up too, up here in the frozen north. It was 52 today. Walked around downtown. It was sad to see all the stores that are closing. :-(

Gal Friday said...

~~Zuzana,
Please don't worry about answering the e-mail--I don't want to make you do anything ASAP! Besides, hibernating is good(especially on weekends)

~~Meg,
Oh yeah--it has been great to go outside without a coat. I have been reading yur blog--you already have pear blossoms and summer temps-wow!

~~sallymandy,
Well, the photos really don't give too much of a sense of "place"--but I'm glad you enjoyed them, anyway. I can't WAIT until the grass turns greener...

~~Anastasia(I think that is you with the long code name!),
I wish we had almond trees(and flowering ones, at that) here.

~~Hi Doreen,
Your rain has made it's way here now--it's cold sleety rain here today.

~~Kathy,
Hang in there! You'll have your spring..eventually! Maybe the weather will surprise you and turn warmer soon.

~~Joanne,
Yes, the death of the local girl was a shock in this community, but the parents have created an organization that goes to the schools to make students aware of the dangers of drinking and driving.

~~RoseAnn,
I'll bet it was really lovely down your way! And we have been lucky for the most part--usually getting nice weekends(except for the blozzard one)and the bad weather during the work week.

~~Only,
Yes, the gate is a work of art.
I know what you mean about seeing closed doors on local businesses--it is so depressing. Wonder how many more we'll see..

Anonymous said...

Oh Tina! I didn't choose that long code name! Google did! heh heh. I thought I'd sign my comment with my Typepad Open ID since it is in the menu here, and WOW! it was accepted! and then ...OMG! What a name! The Typepad team say I should contact the Google people since this is happening at their end...But if you click on that horrendous code name, you will see me! Sorry about that, Tina!

Gal Friday said...

Hello Anastasia!
I knew it was you, though--I think I have come to know you well enough and could only imagine it would be you with flowering almond trees surrounding you on your beautiful island.